|The Black Shadow
Author: ashpokeball PM
The tragic death of a fourteen year old boy brings up new revelations. An amatuer radio play I wrote with a couple friends several years ago for a project.Rated: Fiction T - English - Sci-Fi/Suspense - Words: 3,220 - Published: 02-04-13 - Status: Complete - id: 3098355
|A+ A- Full 3/4 1/2 Expand Tighten|
THE BLACK SHADOW
1. ALLEN: Main character, 15, Rob's best friend. He is brave and intelligent and thinks ahead. He also has a hobby of collecting rocks
2. ROB: Allen's best friend, 14, Mayor's Son, he's paranoid and carries around a switchblade. He has a close bond with his father.
3. MONSTER: (Played by Cameron) Main antagonist, four-legged, sharp teeth and claws. It's skin is made of metal and it is merciless, horrifying, and agile.
4. NEWSCASTER: ) Usually shy and quiet. His real name is Vince. He's very negative on himself.
5. MAYOR GEORGE: Rob's father and is loud and annoying. He has a close bond with his son
ACT ONE: SCENE I
AT RISE: The Camera pans from a the stormy sky on to Lake City Middle School. Kids are running off in different directions as they try to get home as quick as possible. The camera then focuses on two young teenagers trying to escape the pelting rain.
(As the NARRATOR is speaking, Halloween music plays low in the background) Lake City used to be a quaint little town in the middle of nowhere, but now a terrible horror has been released upon the innocent citizens of the town.
2. (Sound of rain and thunder in the background, school bell ringing)
3. ALLEN: (Out of breath) That math test sure was hard, right Rob?
4. ROB: Yeah, and with all this rain I hope I get home before I get soaked.
5. ALLEN: Hurry up!
5. ALLEN: Hey Rob! I guess this is where we split up, so I'll see ya tomorrow!
6. ROB: Okay! See ya!
7. (More Footsteps, sound of a crash and bang)
8. ROB: (Out of breath) Whoah! What was that? Whatever... Dad! I'm home!
9. (Door creaks open, footsteps, the sound of weight piling on to a couch, TV turns on)
10. NARRATOR: One hour later...
11. (Mythbusters theme plays and is interrupted)
10. NEWSCASTER: We interrupt your scheduled programming with this breaking news! A unknown killer is loose in Lake City. So far there have been four victims in this string of murders that have all been uncovered int he past hour. All the victims have been strangled and mauled to death. A strange substance has also been found on and near the bodies. Here's Officer McShane with more information...
11. ROB: Gee, I sure hope that doesn't happen to me. That stuff is really giving me the creeps.
(Jaws music begins playing low in the background)
12. (Ring of a doorbell)
13. ROB: Coming! I got it!
14.(Sound of door unlocking and door creaking open)
15, ROB: Hello is anyone there? (He waits for a few seconds) Hello? Hello?
16. ROB: (Under his breath, thinking to himself) Stupid ding-dong ditchers...
17. (Door creaks close)
18. ROB: Dad really needs to get that fixed. Where is he? Oh, he left a note... (notices note on table, crinkling papers) He's at a council meeting, I'll call him later.
19. (More Knocking, this time louder)
20. ROB: I'm not falling for that again...
21. (Footsteps, Loud noise of door being destroyed)
22. MONSTER: (Feral Roar)
23. ROB: (In a Panic) Oh my gosh! What the heck is that thing!
24. MONSTER: (Roars again)
25. ROB : (Scared manner) Man, Back Up!
26: MONSTER: (Roars)
27. (Cling of switchblade coming out of its sheath)
27. ROB: (Scared) Back off! I have a weapon!
28. MONSTER: (Roars)
29. ROB: Holy Shit! (Runs upstairs and locks his door)
30. (Sound of Monster bashing the door, muffled roar)
31. ROB: I need to call the police! (Sound of phone being dialed) Hello? 911!
32. ROB: Ahh Fuck! The stupid charge is out!
33. (Sound of door creaking open, a deathly silence follows.)
34. ROB: (Quietly) Hello? Hellooo?
35. (More silence)
36. ROB: It must be gone... (Opens the door)
37. MONSTER: (Roars)
38. ROB: Noo! Get away! No no no no NOOOOOO! (Screams)
39. MONSTER: (Roars many times)
40. (Sound of something jumping out the window, door opening and footsteps)
41. MAYOR GEORGE: Rob, you home? And what did you do to the door?
43. MAYOR GEORGE: (In an increasingly more louder and worried voice) Rob, stop fooling around... Don't do this. don't hide! This isn't funny Rob. Come here now!
44. (walks down the hall)
45. MAYOR GEORGE: (Basically Screaming) Rob... why are you laying there... Oh no! No! NOOOOO! NOOOOOOOOOOO!
46. (Friday the 13th dramatic part plays)
AT RISE: The camera pans from a large crater and into the window of a house. It shows Allen is sitting on the couch watching the news. The newscaster is interviewing Mayor George and it's raining again, but this time it is a faint drizzle.
1. NARRATOR: Twenty-four hours later...
2. (NBC Nightly News theme plays loud in the beginning, but when Newscaster begins speaking, the sound dies down)
3. NEWSCASTER: So Today we have Mayor George with us. Mayor, um, how does it feel to have your son die?
4. (Microphone screeches)
5: MAYOR GEORGE: (crying) I can't believe it. He can't be dead... He was a good kid. He always helped me when I was in trouble...
6. MAYOR GEORGE: (Angry) Whoever did this, we will find you. And when we do, we will kill you!
7: NEWSCASTER: Are you sure about this decision? It may be dange-
8. MAYOR GEORGE: (interrupts him mid speech) Yes I'm sure!
9. (slapping sound)
10. MAYOR GEORGE: Why would you even think twice about avenging my son! Whoever killed him will face my rath!
11: NEWSCASTER: Ow! That really hurt! Anyway, this killer looks dangerous... and all of its victims were mauled to 's just so scary. It's unlike anything we've seen before... Y'know I don't know if I'm cut out for this...
12: MAYOR GEORGE: Sure you are! I'm pleased to call you my partner in solving this case.
13. NEWSCASTER: (Suprised) Really? Thank you sir!
14: (TV shuts off)
15. (Phone Rings)
16. ALLEN: Hello? Who's this?
17.NEWSCASTER: Um.. hi, this is Vince from Channel 10 News, We'd like to have an interview with you. But if you don't that's alright, but I want you to investigate the murders with us...
18. ALLEN: (Depressed) No thanks..., Rob was my best friend, and I'm not ready to talk about him yet.
19. NEWSCASTER: Okay, but if you are ready, make sure to call.
20. (phone being slammed down)
21. NEWSCASTER: Mayor, I'm sorry but Allen won't talk yet.
22. MAYOR GEORGE: (Sadly said) It's okay, I understand how sad he must be. It has been a bad two days for all of us, but we shall find the killer, and we punish him for his deeds!
23. NEWSCASTER: (Loud confident voice) You know what George, I'm motivated to find this killer, and bring him to Justice! (slams the radio station table out of excitement) Let's do this!
24. MAYOR GEORGE: Glad to see you so excited...
25. NARRATOR: Meanwhile at Allen's place.
26. (Sound of rain and thunder)
27. ALLEN: (Depressed) It's such a coincidence that its raining and thundering on such a depressing best friend is dead, and to make matters worst, there's a large hole in my backyard, and I don't know how or why it got there in the first place.
28. (scuttling noise moving across the floor)
29. ALLEN: (looks around wildly) What the...?
30. (pot falls over onto ground and breaks, table moves a little bit)
31. ALLEN: Hello? Who's there? (picks up flashlight) I have a flashlight and I'm not afraid to use it!
32. ALLEN: (After seeing the monster, is shocked) What the heck is that?
33. (Allen's footsteps can be heard walking toward the corner)
34. (scuttling noise again, but quicker)
35. ALLEN: Whoah!
36. (flashlight being dropped)
38. (frantic footsteps heard as Allen runs away up the stairs)
39. MONSTER: (gives chase and roars again)
40. (slamming of door as Allen shuts his door)
41. ALLEN: (panting quickly and heavily)
42. (complete silence as Allen hides)
43. (suddenly the monster's footsteps are heard coming straight toward the direction of the door, but suddenly stop and fade back into the distance)
44. (There is a silence for exactly 4 seconds. You can hear nothing except Allen's soft panting, then a loud crash as the monster crashes into the door trying to break it)
45. ALLEN: Ahh!
46. (Sound of something impacting the floor)
47. ALLEN: Oof! I need something to protect myself with...
48. (Sound of lid being opened)
49. ALLEN: Ah ha! My rock collection!
50. MONSTER: (succeeds in breaking through the door and roars in triumph)
51. ALLEN: (screaming throws one rock after the other at the monster but to no avail as sound of rocks clink off the creature's metallic skin.) Gasp! My lucky rock! I found it when I was little... here goes nothing! (throws rock)
52. (Superman theme song plays in the background)
53. ALLEN: (Disbelif) What! The rock it's reacting to it!
54. (loud thunk is heard as the rock hits the monster in the chest, monster screams in pain and a bright light fills the room)
55. (The bright light fades, and the music stops. The scuttling sound is heard as the monster leaves the house.)
56. ALLEN: (In disbelief and breathing heavily) I did it... I did it! I'm gonna call that newscaster, and I'm gonna tell everybody about this thing!
57. (Superman theme picks up again and continues until CURTAIN)
AT RISE: The camera pans into the recording studio for Channel Seven News. Allen is speaking with the Newscaster and Mayor George about what he had recently discovered. The three are sitting on chairs in the middle of the studio.
1. MAYOR GEORGE: So, what did you want to tell us that was "so important?"
2. NEWSCASTER: Yeah. I thought you said you didn't want to talk to us
3. ALLEN: (taking a deep breath) I know what the killer is and where it's from.
4. MAYOR: (excited) Vince, are you recording this? Get your camera ready.
5. NEWSCASTER: Okay sir! Hey you!
6. (footsteps as the guy walks over to where the Newscaster is)
7. NEWSCASTER: Here, give me your camera. (The guy hands over camera.) Thanks.
8. (sound of pushing buttons)
9. NEWSCASTER: (To Allen) Got it, start talking
10. ALLEN: Alright. It all started when I was ten. Five years ago, when I was out exploring the woods behind my house, I found this weird rock on the ground. I hadn't realized it, but it was from outer space. So, I picked it up and kept it. I was attacked last night, right after talking to you yesterday. I almost died there. But when I was throwing rocks at the thing, the rock I found reacted to the monster, and it run away. That rock isn't from Earth, and neither is the monster. Maybe only the rock is its weakness...
11. MAYOR GEORGE: (laughs) That's ridiculous. There is nothing from outer space, you're delusional.
12. ALLEN: You'll believe me when you see what's in my backyard.
13. NEWSCASTER: What's in your backyard?
14. ALLEN: I'll show you.
14. NARRATOR: The three traveled to Allen's backyard and were astonished at the sight before them. (cuts to Allen's backyard where everyone is looking at a huge crater in the ground)
15. NEWSCASTER: What the heck is that?! It looks like something crashed here hard.
16. ALLEN: It's a crater that the monster left when it came to Earth.
17. MAYOR GEORGE: How do you know that was the monster?
18. ALLEN: It has to be, think about it. The crater came from outer space, and the monster doesn't seem like it's from Earth. It was around here when I found that rock, so the rock must've came with the creature from wherever it came from. If we look around here on the ground we might be able to find maybe the slime the monster leaves behind or more rocks I dunno.
19. NEWSCASTER: I thought you said that the rock was its weakness. So, the monster couldn't have brought the rocks with it, cuz then it'll die. Like, Like Superman and kyrptonite.
20. (group sits in silence, thinking, lasts about 5 seconds)
21. ALLEN: Wait a second. Hey Vince, didn't you cover a story about a meteor shower?
22. NEWSCASTER: Yeah. But that was about a week ago. Why do you want to know?
23. ALLEN: Because maybe that may have something to do with the monster being here on Earth, in Lake City. The the meteor shower was last week, which was right about when the killings started? (Mayor and Newscaster nod heads) So, the meteor shower brought the monster here. Like an animal, it has no sense of reason or pity. It's just doing what it was born to do. Eat, kill, and ...gasp! Reproduce. We've gotta kill that thing before it makes more of itself. Hopefully, we can catch it at Oak Street right around by the...
24. MONSTER: (suddenly roars, from not very far away)
25. ALLEN: Right on schedule.
26. MAYOR: Quick! We can cut it off in the old warehouse.
27. (Superman theme plays again as the group runs toward the warehouse)
28. MAYOR: Climb in through the window. Hurry! Hurry!
29. (thud as they land on the floor)
30. MONSTER: (roars again, coming closer)
31. NEWSCASTER: (whispering anxiously) I don't mean to interrupt, but how do we get the monster over here?
32. MAYOR: Easy (whistles or shouts) Hey!
33. MONSTER: (roars, and begins to come closer)
34. ALLEN: It's coming alright. One of you needs to distract the thing and lure it right into the machinery room. I'll try to hit it with my slingshot using the lucky rock, while another one of you will turn the machinery on so we can trap it in the same spot. If one of us doesn't make survive, your bravery will always be remembered.
35. (everyone takes a deep breath)
36. NEWSCASTER: I'll turn the machinery on.
37. MAYOR: I'll distract it.
38. ALLEN: I'll stay here. Good luck out there.
39. (footsteps as the Mayor and the Newscaster run off)
40. NARRATOR: The trio began their daring plan to save the day, starting with Mayor George leading the monster to its doom.
41. (as the Narrator speaks, low roaring from the monster, and Pirates of the Carribean theme begins to play low in the background.).
42. MAYOR: (carrying a pipe is banging it on the walls) (to himself) I feel like I'm ringing the dinner bell. (shouting) Hey! Hey! Come and get it!
43. MONSTER: (roars and begins running toward the sound)
44. MAYOR: Oh boy Here it comes. (screaming and running footsteps are heard)
45. NARRATOR: We now turn to the Newscaster as he prepares to hold up his end of the bargain.
46. NEWSCASTER: (hearing the Mayor coming toward him and taking a few deep breaths) Here we go. Here we go. (pulling levers) On, On, On, On, On , and... On Done
47. MAYOR: Coming through!
48. (machinery begins to clank and come to life)
49. MONSTER: (roars and enters the room)
50. MAYOR: Just a little bit closer. Hey! Hey!
51. MONSTER: (hearing him comes closer to the sound, but his tail accidentally knocks over a lever)
52. (Superman plays)
53. NEWSCASTER: The lever!
54. MAYOR: I got it! (runs toward it but Monster sees him and bites him on the side) (screams in pain as he is tossed back and forth and bitten)
55. NEWSCASTER: Mayor George!
56. (sound of gun being loaded)
57. NEWSCASTER: Lock and load. (runs toward Monster) Hey! Eat lead! (fires the gun rapidly)
58. MONSTER: (drops Mayor and is momentarily stunned by the bullets which do nothing against it)
59. NEWSCASTER: (runs over to Mayor and lifts him up, grunting) You're heavy (sets him down against the wall as Allen comes running over)
60. ALLEN: What about the plan! What happened to the mayor, and what are you doing?
61. NEWSCASTER: Take him out of here, and kill this thing. I'm sick and tired of this thing destroying my city. I know what I have to do. Get your slingshot ready. Now is my moment, my big break. Remember my bravery, and see you around. (runs straight up to the Monster and throws his gun which clangs as it hits the creature) Hey you big dummy! You're finished! This is Vince from Channel Seven News, Good night everybody!
62. MONSTER: (roars, picks Newscaster up and kills him)
63. ALLEN: (Quiet, increasingly louder) You killed my best friend, you killed citizens of this town, and you killed a great man, but you won't kill anymore! (loads rock and fires)
64. (loud boom is heard as the Monster explodes from the final hit from the rock)
SCENE 4: EPILOGUE
1. NARRATOR: Allen wakes up in the Lake City Hospital. Opening his eyes he looks around not recognizing where he is or who he is?
2. ALLEN: Where am I? (spots a radio near his bed) Maybe some news may help.(turns on the radio)
3. RADIOSPOKES PERSON: (played by Rishi) This just in.. another strange and mysterious death has been reported here in New York City. The fourth victim this week has apparently been strangled and mauled with some strange slime around the body..
4. ALLEN: That's really weird (changes channels)
5. SPOKESPERSON: More murders have appeared in the Washington DC area today (changes channels.)
6. SPOKESPERSON: Another case of strangulation murder pops up here in Miami
7. SPOKESPERSON: The Dallas Strangler strikes again...
8. SPOKESPERSON: Los Angeles has been hit again with eight strangulation murders just this week...
9. SPOKESPERSON: ...a strange slime has also been found by the bodies as the killer
loose in Denver has struck again...
10. SPOKESPERSON: Seattle is racked with fear as an unknown killer continuously kills...
11. SPOKESPERSON: Now Detroit's own Dr. Malcolm Fleming a well known astronomer and scientist on recent comet appearances.
12. SCIENTIST: (played by Louis) Thank you. For the past couple of weeks, strange meteor impacts have been felt all around the country in many different areas. These meteors have created impact craters all across the nation and the globe. Strange substances are being found all over the place which my team and I have recently been studying. Another mysterious fact is that more and more people have been disappearing in cities every day. All of the victims were last seen within a two mile radius of the craters.
13. SPOKESPERSON: And what are you holding right now Dr. Malcolm...
14. MALCOLM: This is a rare stone which I call Glospium which also is being dug up around the world. I think that this mineral was part of the meteors that impacted Earth millions of years ago but I could be proven wrong because of the new and improved research going on.
15. SPOKESPERSON: Thank you Dr. Malcolm. So I'm Calvin from Team 26 News Detroit and we wish you a great day.
16. (radio shuts off)