Reviews for de grasse
Tethys-Orion chapter 1 . 12/15/2002
ok, first of all let me say i love your historical bent and knowledge of this stuff. i was homeschooled and then hit college, so i know more of it than most people, but now in the working world, my mind is starting to moulder away . . . ANYWAY, the point is that it's rare to find someone who even knows who Rochambeau is much less can write poetry about him, ect . . .

Now, as for the poetry itself. It kind of reminds me of Dylan Thomas and T.S. Eliot both, and this is sort of a different style from the other poems of yours i've reviewed (but just as valid and just as great. You have a feel for the rhythm of words themselves (which is what i mean by meter, and has nothing to do with whether poetry rhymes or not). Stevenson had it, Wilde had it, ect, ect. . . . Without this feel for rhythm you can't be a good poet; it's as simple as that. So this is good stuff, and i find myself wondering how much time you spend on each poem, because they're fairly carefully crafted.
Kievsky chapter 1 . 11/6/2002
All right, I may or may not have just accidentally submitted another review. If not-

This is a very nice poem. You alternate descriptions between Rochambeau and all of the objects around him, which makes him seem integrated with the universe as well as somewhat above it all-like a legend, or an oversize statue. To me, this poem is much more of a picture than a particular meaning or feeling. Glory, maybe.

Oh, and the "nelson-eye" line was my favorite.