Reviews for Snow in Ireland
aedidab chapter 1 . 11/8/2005
You seem to have stressed the fact that Corey looked ill. I'd like to know why. But that was outstanding. I like it a lot, the idea, the charecters...-Unsingable Name
Kievsky chapter 1 . 1/17/2003
I've read this about eight times now, and every time I go over it again I like it even more. I haven't been able to think of anything specific to say, but I'll try to write something down.

The only thing I can suggest changing is the arrangement of the dialogue. It would be easier to read if, instead of something like,

"Did it snow in Ireland?"

Monahan asked Corey suddenly.

it could be on one line. When the speaker isn't listed immediately after the quote, I tend to think that it was the last person mentioned (in the example, Peyton). It got confusing at times, but maybe that's just me.

Otherwise everything was done well. The initial character descriptions are minimal, but when you describe their actions and specific traits, like their eyes, the reader can fill in the other details. Setting is well-described and suits the tone. I love the motif of the ghosts, and the themes. Ancestry, and the Homeland, and the generational loyalties...they're less abstract themes than usual, and something I can solidly understand, and (for reasons that would take me forever to explain) relate to completely. And you finished it perfectly, with the last paragraph summing everything up wonderfully, and the last line which puts it all into perspective. Great work.