Reviews for Magnology
Smoke chapter 1 . 6/11/2005
It reminds me of Spaceballs and HHGGTG and Army of Darkness and the Justice League episode with Booster Gold.

Very funny images. Very convinient luck.

The robot can make smells?

I'm almost thinking that the scientist guy is actually dead. Either it's an AI or his mind in a machine.
Alteng chapter 1 . 6/8/2005
This was kind of amusing in that light hearted sort of way. I can see the Douglas Adams influence thrown in with the Star Wars bit. Therein is a bit of a problem with the story. It does take a lot from Star Wars. I do like Barlow though. He is an entertaining hot headed piece, and I am partial to villains after all. If you chose to ever pick this story up again, I do hope that Barlow finds a way out of his situation to be a thorn in the free worlds' . . . universes . . . whatever side.

The bit with killing the evil wizard reminds me of the Wizard of Oz with theh house falling on the Wicked witch of the East. I guess that might well be what was in the back of your mind.

Steve is an interesting little character. He can be quite likeable in that Ford Prefect sort of way, and Max is useless. It is always nice to have a character that is the companion and is more trouble than he is worth. And if you are thinking about getting Max a silver hammer, my Max has dibs on it first. Douglas Adams did have the thing in the Hithhiker's Guide with songs. And he is one of my icons!

I guess I will check out some of your other stories, since humor is the main bit of what I write, and you seem to have one of those warped sense of humors, too.
Ashley Alquine chapter 1 . 6/7/2005
I enjoyed your story very much. I sense almost a Douglas Adamsish touch to it. I did see one capitalization error:

"You know, I’ve been meaning to inform droid support about your faulty command processor, maybe I should do that now."
firefly7071 chapter 1 . 5/29/2005
Enjoyed this, I did. -sagelike nod-

With the Yoda formalities out of the way, I thought it was funny. Especially the bit about Tarkinson getting to like the toasty feeling of warm ashes on the chairs. Seriously, if you can keep this up it's right on the money... for what you said it would be.

I want more. XD
Roan chapter 1 . 12/11/2004
*laughs**cries**falls off chair*

So funny... so damn funny. Can't.. stop... laughing. This is so much better than your vampire series. You have to write more. Please write more.
biminator chapter 1 . 10/25/2004
heh. i already reviewed under "Partners In Fiction". However. I would like to extend an invitation to you to join the fictionpress writing group, "A Tiding of Ravens".
If you're interested, e-mail me at or instant message me under the same name.
Partners In Fiction chapter 1 . 8/21/2004
really good, really long story. the inter-dimensional travel genre is something I'm quite fond of, and I've written a couple of stories about it. anyway, the detail was great here, especially how you have "The collector" go through about 10 science officers. great job. please continue it!
Estoc chapter 1 . 5/10/2004
Great, very humourous, your style is very similar to Douglas Adams, you've really managed to capture that sense of wit.
Basileus chapter 1 . 12/13/2003
Funny, interesting, and pleasantly surprising. I like! Steve makes an amusing "everyman"-there's something about him that reminds me of old-school IBM technicians. Maybe it's just the resemblance of old-school IBM to the Empire. And Dark Lord Lenny Barlow is a great villain; I like getting to hear his demented little thoughts.
However, while I chuckled at each disintegration, that element did seem a bit forced, as if the story needed a patented "bad guy gag" to justify the Empire as an absurd organization. It seemed to move the story away from Adams-esque philosophical ridiculousness into a sort of "You killed Kenny!" zone; funny in its own right, but not quite the same style of funny.
Still, other than that and a few slips (do a search and destroy for "it's"), the story is clever and well-crafted, and I look forward to reading more. Keep at it! I don't get much absurdity outside of real life any more, and it's nice to enjoy the fake stuff for a change!
warnthepenguins chapter 1 . 10/13/2003
Darn good. Yeah, you've definitely got the Hitchiker's Guide thing going. It's very absorbing, although I noticed a few word-choice things. Other than that, an excellent start. Looking forward to more!
I am Gone chapter 1 . 9/10/2003
LOL OK that put me in a better mood.
Peg Pannery chapter 1 . 8/9/2003
One word enters my mind: BANGING!

Your story is great, well polished, and doesn't even remind me of Star Wars! Well done! Steve and Max are two great characters that are humorous but well thought out. You've obviously put a lot of thought into your story. I can't wait to read more!
The Odinson chapter 1 . 8/1/2003
I like this...i definitely like this...you write very well...i also dabble in the dimension hopping genre...keep writing
Diana Shore chapter 1 . 7/12/2003
Wizard of Oz meets Star Wars. Enjoyed it so far.
Black Wolf5 chapter 1 . 7/1/2003
Tails. You get a Good Review :)

Damned fine :) - You've captured the Douglas Admas, Hitchikers Guide style perfectly without being too overdone. Lord Barlow's going to run out of crew soon I think :)