Reviews for Nine They Were
Danni Ramos chapter 1 . 1/27/2008
Beautiful...It was all very wonderfully written. Well worth the time, I'd say, though...Can you pronounce the names...I was wondering as I read how to pronounce them...
asgard chapter 1 . 8/27/2003
Intresting use of vocabulary. I wonder- is that from the help of a thesaurus or just a mind that reads far too often? :) Thank you, the mythology of the Greeks is extremely rich and you have molded your own nuances into it.
peachykeen chapter 1 . 1/31/2003
I didn't think that I'd enjoy this one, because it's about Greek mythology and I know nothing about it, but it turns out I really do like this one. I'm forced to agree with Chris - the title does sound VERY Yoda.

1st stanza: Calliope makes me think of cantalope and calico all at one time. Words to define: fantods and scions

2nd stanza: I really like this line (through windy hindrance beauty raises voice); it's really nice imagry - Words to define: stylus, kismet, and pith

3rd stanza: Clio makes me think of the scary lady on tv who wants to solve my problems over the telephone because she's "psyhic" - I really like the imagry in the beginning and the end of this one. - Words to define: parched, desists, deluge, sapience, milieu (is that word French?)

4th stanza: I like the last part; it's a really nice metaphor (figurines) - Words to define: mensing and contingencies

5th stanza: Erato makes me think of erruption and eratic all in one - I'm so confused - more gravity to spread what seed? I like the beginning - it flows really well - Words to define: maladies and remoras

6th stanza: There's a lot of nice imagry here. - Words to define: lyres and subjugate

7th stanza: I don't even know how to pronounce Euterpe, so it doesn't really make me think of anything. I really like this stanza - it's fairly simple and flows nicely. - Words to define: ardor and fallacy

8th stanza: it's nice that you carried music over into this next stanza - it connects the two parts well - Word to define: hubris and mirth

9th stanza: Melpomene makes me think of melancholy and melon, which then leads me to cantalope again - I think I'm hungry - I really like the imagry of the knife - it's really clever - tres bien - Words to define: conversant

10th stanza: milk-white angels - nice imagry - this stanza is really kine of depressing - Words to define: ensconces, cothrunus, and cadences

11th stanza: Polyhymnia makes me think of polyhedras and Romania - oooo! I really really like this part (droplets follow suit with supple toes, elastic steps with graceful grand intent) - that's some high quality stuff right there, my friend - Words to define: pensive

12th stanza: I don't understand this part at all. Every other word is one not in my vocabulary. Words to define: facade, sorghum, trills, requiem, and epitaphs

13th stanza: I can't even pronounce Tersichore, but it does make me think of dinosaurs for some reason. I really like the way this one sounds in my head - it as a nice flow and sound to it - Words to define: bereft

14th stanza: oooo! I really like this part (our blood and wine run think with her perfume - Words to define: ah ha ha! there are no words in this one that I don't know, so ha!

15th stanza: Thalia kind of makes me think of Mali - This part is very calm and kind of soothing in my opinion - Words to define: licentious, shephards (shephErds?) and dulcet

16th stanza: I don't think that dispositions can be creamy, but perhaps I should just open up my mind more - buttered words of courtesy? no thank you mam - I'm feeling like the the creaminess is cloudiness and she is the cloud and she lets the sun shine when she feels like it - Words to define: lull

17th stanza: Urania makes me think of Uranus and your subprofile. What are ginger chrisms? What's a chrism?

18th stanza: I feel like this part is really deep, and I could appreciate it, but I just don't know what it says! I do like the "final change from stardust into death" Words to define: curtailed and nadir

I just want to make sure that you understand that I have spent over an hour reviewing this puppy for you. My hands are in great pain, and I have serious hate issues with this incredibly dirty keyboard. My joints hurt and I'm in pain.

I'm still SO confused, but overall, this one is very enjoyable. Tres bien! You'd better define every single word for me, or else I will eat the pets that you don't have.
lemoncane79 chapter 1 . 1/21/2003
wow! good but long! losts of bigggggggggggggggg words like disposition ,to big for me. props for emerald!
Rose of Dresden chapter 1 . 1/21/2003
ahh! this is so wonderful. i love mythology, this is such a well-done poem! ach, it's beautiful, thank you. my favorite section was Polyhymnia. Very very nice!
the Queen of Jupiter chapter 1 . 1/21/2003
This was absolutely gorgeous. Each poem was spectacular in its own right, and all 9 together is just mind-boggling. This is the sort of poem that deserves to be published in books all over the world. I found myself wishing the Greek muses were real, just so they'd have the pleasure of reading this poem, that which is dedicated to them.

Going on my favorite stories list. Keep writing! Peace
Amaris chapter 1 . 1/20/2003
Very good job, Emerald. This is definitely your best poem. I really liked it. I also liked the fact that it was about Greek myths, because anything about that gets extra points. Kinda random comment..but their names were in alphabetical order which showed that it was not completely random.

I liked the first paragraph of VI and VII. Your whole poem is very complex and I've read it about five times now. I get more out of it each time I read it. You have a lot of good imagery which makes it more interesting. I also liked the part about the sirens and the angels coming to human lengths to hear them...tho the greeks didn't have angels...but I like the imagery. I was reading about angels and humans and God in Sophie's World and so it makes it all the better right now.

Anyway, I'm gonna email this poem of yours to my dad because I like this one, and I know you like long complex reviews, (which I'm not very good at) and since he has the education, I think he'll be good at it.
BoBo chapter 1 . 1/20/2003
Wa! don't you think this poem is too long for me? Also, I could not understand some parts. Oh my god!*_*

Eric also read this poem, here was his respond: Ok...

hahahaha...Anatomy is killling me..it is sososososo hard for me ...there are lots of terms I need to remember...ai...But Chem is kind of easy for me ..hehehe...lucky!

BG
Hopes Forgotten chapter 1 . 1/20/2003
Wow. Seems 5 hours was worth writting it. That's amazing. You have an increadable talent.
Paradoxical goddess chapter 1 . 1/20/2003
my god...*is impressed* that was very well-crafted
Smee chapter 1 . 1/20/2003
wow...good job emerald! that was very cool. hehe. u can really tell that u worked really hard on it. great work! )
Ki-ShukuTamahome chapter 1 . 1/20/2003
Yes, Shinigami-sama.

Wow...that was long. And so many Greek people(...? Heh, 'people') I didn't know. Need more knowledge, ya?

It's all in iambic pentameter, and crazily in that form from start to finish. Thalia and Terpsichore are cool. Let's bleed... which isn't exactly a pleasant thing, but oh well.
DaCommieFoo chapter 1 . 1/19/2003
I'm very stunned at your boredom. AND your free time.

AND ON TO THE SERIOUS REVIEW!

"Nine They Were" lets see, Yoda I was, Matter not this does, but "They Were Nine" well it works in addition. Pissed you are at my talking? Prompt me you shall not!

"From eloquent entreaty she does write"? Read the title paragraph about my anti-yoda and anti-yoda-ese feelings. OR in Olddub-C-anese, "Yo Kungfoolio thou shalt not be da biggest green frog thing inth thee vast swamp of DAY-GO-BA!" (Inside joke people, but if you understand laugh your head off). "In fantods do her precious heros fall" would be breaking this rule as well, but it is followed with the "rising to feud again" and that leaves an abstract rhythm that actually works well for that particular stanza. KISMET! A VOCAB WORD FROM DAYS LONG PAST ! YAY YAY YAY YAY! I don't exactly remember how, but I managed to connect that word to vampires...(another inside joke, but I don't think anybody would get it...)

Clio (Not CliƩ like the Sony item that will soon rule the world! um...sorry bout that). yes wonder at the world...sooooo over used! Like the word "the"...except less so.

Okay BAD EMERALD...stop with the evil yoda affect...you did it again...and it's not as super cool as most people think.

Look "rising sun" action DID YOU SEE THAT RISING SUN! Like the sun setting soon I bet..cuz then the metaphor wouldn't be complete!

To my knowledge (which I must admit is kinda limited here), the greeks didn't believe in Angels...

I also think you have too much "white" and "black" as imagery. Get some new color. Like RED..or Blue...or Green..or say not a shade, but of the spectrum of light we can see (or that gets reflected back at us!)!

Yep...that's my review...not very thorough, but I'm off to make a five-year plan or something. or a MINE SHAFT GAP!
Bobbo the Clown chapter 1 . 1/19/2003
Eme-Wald!

Spiffy, wordy imagery, but my scotch-guard protects me from your potent literary powers! Ha!

*runs away*
dragonfly17 chapter 1 . 1/19/2003
oviously you work hard and effortlessly on ur produce more