Reviews for Isaiah and the Stars
Tethys-Orion chapter 1 . 2/4/2003
More than usual, I am awed.

The fate of Columbia hit nearer my heart than most, as I am a fervent astronomer and the stars my highway. Your combination of Biblical/Eastern imagery along with scientific, astronomical lightsaberish words is amazing. You have had a very good year for writing, I think. Thank you for memorializing (and so quickly) with your

poetry an event burned into our hearts.
Kirney Slate chapter 1 . 2/2/2003
chilling execution, but, I am a little hung up on 'how we are born kneeling'. The humanist in me gets a little defensive while reading this. That's not a bad thing, mind you, rather, I enjoyed reading this, and made me think about what you were doing with the lauguage that was so effective in bringing messeges to the reader. Nice work, of course.

-kirney
E. Gao chapter 1 . 2/2/2003
[swoon] gorgeous imagery...it's very biblical, but in a really ephemeral and transitory way, like...only a passing reference, you know?

AH! I can't believe how pretty the last stanza is - it makes me wish it was nighttime right now...but sadly it isn't.

Now I want to go review some of your older stuff to see if it's any different. cheerio!

EG
makkenjii chapter 1 . 2/2/2003
This is absolutely stunning. The imagery is luscious, the language breathtaking. The last stanza is my favourite part, I believe, maybe because it is so self-contained, maybe because it is so beautifully stated. Also, thank you for your reviews! I'm definitely adding you to my favourites list, too.

Also, I don't know if you've realized this or not, but we have this slowly growing kind of ring of authors who all review each other, including me, Karbon Okapi, Queen of Jupiter, and some others. I'd love to have you join in our merriment!
the Queen of Jupiter chapter 1 . 2/2/2003
Oh my Lord this is gorgeous and beautiful and fantastic and amazing and melancholy and rapturous and I can't think of any more adjectives to describe it by Oh My Lord this is !

Just: wow.

Bah, incoherentness ensues. I'm off to drink some coffee.

Keep writing! Peace in a new world
Kievsky chapter 1 . 2/1/2003
Well I think it's a safe guess what inspired this poem. Your work is of very high quality (of course). The tone is subdued, and although it is a bit melancholy, elements in the end and the middle of the poem are hopeful and transcend the image of darkness. I love your language here, the "pentagle shield" and the "meniscus glass," and the way all of the themes are summarized very eloquently and starkly in the last five lines. It just leads everything into a higher level of understanding...into philosophy, and the meaning and purpose of life. It's haunting.
Elina chapter 1 . 2/1/2003
wow. Geez, that was very... Just very! I see you're still walking the path of mythical things. Great! Plus you still have your rhythm.
Pretty Barn Owl chapter 1 . 2/1/2003
You are AMAZING! Lemmi just say that! I sent most of this to my friend w/ instant messaging and he loved it, too. (He's kinda hard to get excited, so that's a real compliment!) This is one poem that really makes me think! And I like thinking! -

I've got a 'Thinker' personality... Well, yeah, I liked this. It is gorgeous!

A T
Karbon Okapi chapter 1 . 2/1/2003
That is just so beautiful and moving. Did you write it after hearing Bush's reference to Isaiah?