Reviews for Down the Road
The Autumn Queen chapter 1 . 9/14/2012
Is your first line a part of the poem as well as the title? It certainly reads as part of the poem. Normally I see it as a title that simply hasn't been stylised.

I like the fairytale elements of this because it adds a fantasy/dream-like nature to the poem. Gives it a sense of childish innocence in a way.

I also like how you've illustrated the concept of beauty, giving it a riches to rags sort of approach because it provides a nice contrast and parallel between the princess and the pauper. Especially how you draw them together at the end so flawlessly that if I read just those two stanzas, I'd think it was the same girl.

Ohana from the Review Marathon (link in profile)
Chasing Skylines chapter 1 . 4/25/2009
I liked this. You expressed both girls lives really well. I particularly liked the questions they asked, and the clear difference between both of their lives.

I liked the repetitions of "down the road" and "over the hill." They brought the piece together.

I liked the last stanza because the poem showed how different their lives were, but the last stanza showed how they both shared something in common and sighed; they both wondered what life on the other side was.

- Review Marathon, link in profile.
May Elizabeth chapter 1 . 1/22/2009
Intresting medieval feel to this one. Peace.
Hed in the Cloudz chapter 1 . 6/7/2008
This is so bittersweet that I can't help but love it! The first woman quite reminds me of the Lady of Shallot, which is most certainly a good thing, and the theme of "grass is always greener" and all that is quite touching!

For some reason the adjective "luscious" for "meals" just doesn't work in my mind. It's a silly thing to comment on, but it seems to me that there are many adjectives that would work just as well. To me, "luscious" typically describes soft, strong smelling things (like perfumed blankets or something) and thus it makes this food sound gross. Oh, and there's also the fact that it doesn't create as much of a contrast if the two girls share the same wish- for better food!

(By the way, PLEASE don't bother to return this review, because then I'll return that one, and so on. You'll end up being stuck reviewing all of my stories, and I know that you like reviewing stories even less than I like reviewing poems- at least I can enjoy poems! But thanks for the review!)
A Face Worth Remembering chapter 1 . 1/1/2005
For some reason I started humming "over the river and through the woods" I doubt that was the expected reaction, but hey, thats what came to mind. Its kind of strange knowing that other ways of life exist, but you cant imagine anything else then what you have. I love this poem!~Elli
angel of sorrow n darkness chapter 1 . 9/26/2004
wow this was good awesome amazing gave me chills lol awesome job
me10 chapter 1 . 10/1/2003
different subject matter, i liked it! interesting idea.

i loved the way you repeated the words:

'over the hill and down the road' so near yet so far, aw so sad!

great poem! :)
Unchained Soul chapter 1 . 8/3/2003
I love how u keep repeating "Down the road, and over the hill". Bravo!
yellow sparks chapter 1 . 8/1/2003
That's a really good poem. I really like the idea you put behind it, and it's really touching the way the two girls wonder about what's down the road and over the hill. They're so close, yet so far away. And they both wonder...Good job!
AutumnRhapsody chapter 1 . 7/25/2003
Oh, I really like this poem. It's really good, and I love the way they're so close-the 'over the hill and down the road' and the other way around. Is it supposed to be set up like that, or are the lines supposed to be shorter?

The only problem is, I'm afraid I'll steal this poem and write it in my own words...

and now I remembered I need to practice my harp.
SweetGrape chapter 1 . 7/22/2003
Pretty picture to start with.

Wondering about the outside world- such questions don't only make you think of the answers, but of why someone would ask them.

And then the contrast of the other girl and the opposite questions.

And then the end showing they'll never truly find the answers.

Interesting idea of seeing different perspectives (and their possible causes). Plus the fact that they're so close, 'down the road and over the hill', yet so far that they'll never know each other.