Reviews for In A Time Before War
Kievsky chapter 13 . 2/24/2003
This is a brilliant epilogue to the series. And the hawk?the perfect image and symbol to close the work.
Kievsky chapter 12 . 2/24/2003
This is my favorite poem of the set. We can't go forward and make important decisions for the future without looking to the past, and you show the end of the Great War very well here. Although dark and forlorn, especially here:

"there are men who play at war-

and they do not know they are playing,"

and the "desert that has come again and again" because that's how war is too, even though it may be significant and necessary. And since this does show the dismal nature of the aftermath, I assume this is in direct response to France's position on the current approaching war, because this displays part of what has happened to their country and their attitude in the later years and explains their pessimism surrounding the US's future exploits.
Kievsky chapter 10 . 2/24/2003
Wonderful description. The use of color and the life there?the dogs, the men, even the city itself are vivid and idealized into something greater than that one city.
Kievsky chapter 7 . 2/24/2003
World-weary and real. This is more immediately lifelike than some of the others, it's like I'm just listening to someone talk (granted someone very intelligent and perceptive) and thus, it's a very sharp observance of things at hand.
Kievsky chapter 6 . 2/24/2003
I love this one. I don't have anything constructive to say, because I think it's perfect, in the imagery and your language and that one string of monologue. If not my favorite, it's very, very close to it.
Kievsky chapter 3 . 2/24/2003
I want to review the poems in here that made the most sense and had the greatest effect on me, because I like them too much to not say anything-

This one is short but every word is a singular description of the entire scene; great imagery. With the introduction of detail it creates that effect of waiting for something, and when the bird finally appears it's almost in slow-motion, like a much-anticipated signal. I liked the "dark and black"/"drops of oil" comparison; it holds up the natural world to the planes and mechanized workings of the base wonderfully.
makkenjii chapter 13 . 2/24/2003
Chillingly beautiful. The ending is sublime. Thus ends my review of "In a Time Before War" by Rose of Dresden (unless of course you add more to it).
makkenjii chapter 12 . 2/24/2003
Another fantastic piece of work! The constant shifting of location works really well here, and I think the mood is very well established.
makkenjii chapter 11 . 2/24/2003
It's almost prose, I think. Very beautiful and engaging, though. I would like to meet such a person.
makkenjii chapter 10 . 2/24/2003
This is really beautiful. very luscious words. Nothing more to say.
makkenjii chapter 9 . 2/24/2003
Hm. This one feels almost.. incomplete, maybe? The descriptions are lovely, but it seems kind of insubstantial (this coming from me, who scarcely writes anything but description).
makkenjii chapter 8 . 2/24/2003
I love the way you described the changes in the man and the way he was perceived. Quite excellent.
makkenjii chapter 7 . 2/24/2003
I think the fact that I am listening to Enya right now is slightly affecting my reviews, but there you go.

I think my favourite thing about this is the offhand way that certain statements are rationalized ("I knew no one who did," "it was / requested of me"). Anyway, good stuff. I'm halfway through!
makkenjii chapter 6 . 2/24/2003
This is really good. Really good. The characters just seem so real.
makkenjii chapter 5 . 2/24/2003
Hmm, some very interesting imagery here. The second stanza confuses me a little, perhaps because it is so straightforward. Excellent work!