Reviews for Censorship Sucks
FuzzyGrapes chapter 1 . 4/29/2006
Ah! I completly agree with everything on here! And I'm not even American! Censorship is so messed up - not only is it not justified in most cases, the rules for it are so diverse that half the time it's pointless. If that makes sense XD.
ValkyrieRavenfeather chapter 1 . 9/27/2005
This was interesting. I agree with you to some degree, but I think there has to be a rule of some sort about how "bad" a show is...I don't know...ignore this review. I just review everything I read and I'm sort of on an in-between stance here...
some dude chapter 1 . 7/13/2005
I would have to agree with you on (almost) every point. Children should be supervised while watching t.v. IMO It also would strengthen the bond between the parent and child. Kid's like it when a parent shows intrest in what they are doing, well I did.

Ratings bug me too. I view ratings as an average. I believe I am responsible enough to view an R rated movie, for example and because I am not allowed to see them. I ask her why and she says I am not old enough. Since when did age equal maturty? Last time I checked DUI's are quite the sex is the big killer. I want to know why sex is such an awful act.I personally don't think it is bad at all.I really thing parents have forgotten what it is like to go to school. On a good day it would be PG-13, and the rest of the school year would be anywhere from R to NC-17.

Anyway, perhaps you could do something on ratings vs. life. THough you did touch on this is something I heard, but I don't know where."If people don't like it it gets canceled."
Cass chapter 1 . 5/11/2005
Well written. I liked the topic.

I'm Canadian, so I don't know what the censorship down there is like but I've heard it is pretty bad.

Something I've heard (I'm not sure, though) is that many of the shows that are 'censored' are actually not as bad as the news you watch.

My friend told me that virtually everything on your news is about death/violence/sex/drugs/alcohol. She said it was some sort of 'fear tactic' Now I'm not sure if that is right, but yeah, I think the children are probably better off watching The Simpson's than major violence on the news.

Like, think about it. They said after 9/11 children were scarred from watching scenes of violence played over and over on the news. Now, this is just me but I've never heard of any children being scarred from watching Friends or Futurama.

If you're going to censor shows, than you might as well censor your news, the way I see it.

Anyways, I loved the topic, loved the way you proved your point, and I'll look forward to reading more!
forever in blue jeans chapter 1 . 4/27/2005
I absolutely agree. What people don't understand is that if they continue censoring things, pretty soon we're not going to be allowed to listen to, watch, or do anything.

Censorship is really getting out of hand, and not just on the television, either. Not too long ago, Virginia passed a law that banned anyone from wearing low-rise jeans. This law was revoked (thank God) but just the fact that it had been passed to begin with is a little unnerving.

I could rant about censorship for weeks but I'll stop there. This is a great essay. It's about time someone wrote about this topic.

You're good writer; the format is fine and the grammar and spelling are good. Great job!
Double Entendre chapter 1 . 4/2/2005
I totally agree. They really should be more lenient with censorship. Very well written essay.
Guin chapter 1 . 3/9/2005
Oh dear. 50 reviews. I'm worried to write anything. I do agree with you, censorship can be taken too far. I don't think we should be showing nudity on kids shows or anything, but I think the watershed idea is a good one and it works. However, America (from what I see on films anyway) have alot more channels than Britain, so this might not work. Perhaps a warning at the beginning of the show might work. saying 'This programme may contain some nudity and bad language'. Giving concerned parents a chance to change channel. Interesting and informative essay. I hadn't realised America was getting so tight on censorship. I think censorship, if you with care and common sense, is ok. It when it gets out of hand that it can be very interesting reviews you've got! alot of them seem off the point, but hey, Shows the varity there is in the world!
On Mercury chapter 1 . 3/9/2005
Awesome. I've been trying to say this to my parents for ages. Like some other reviewers have pointed out, the v-chip sounds (sounds, I don't have one, I'm british) like an ok idea for parents that are really weird like that or who have young kids that like to play with the remote. (that's the other thing. How many eight year olds channel surf? my brother watches children's tv the whole time, doesn't watch my channels, and he's TEN. Maybe these kids that have parents saying "but my child might see this and this" should get them to go outside occasionally)

Censorship in music is the one area that really gets on my nerves. Eminem has, as someone has said, been through a lot of sh*t and well, he's got a way to vent it. And if you're going to censor him, fine, but all this picketing outside his house and picketing his concert and basically freaking out is ridiculous. DON'T LISTEN TO HIM IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT! Also, Wal-Mart? F*ckheads. They promote themselves as a freaking family store so therefore they don't stock albums with parental advisory stickers on them. It's all Mrs Gore's fault. She freakin started it. Gr. How are these albums supposed to sell if shops won't stock them based on their "content"? FREE SPEECH? HELLO?

I really liked this essay because it's articulated a lot of my thoughts and then other reviewers have made some good points.

Fallingofftheworld: Your idea about christians being good presidents/leaders is moot. There are preachers I've heard of recently that have been child-molesters, like they molested children in the choir and things like that. Being Christian doesn't free you of all sins. And like the last guy said, other religions have morals too! (and who said clinton was a pervert? As far as i understand all that happened was he had an affair with some woman he knew and everybody overreacted over there. Yes affairs are wrong, but god! Calm down! If not, someone please explain. Otherwise he seemed like a good president)

Sunflower Philosophy: Yah! Iraq coverage is some of the most violent stuff on TV, but it's on no matter what. At least on UK TV they say "Some viewers may find the following images disturbing". And I really have been shocked at myself recently for switching off the Iraq news coverage and not caring. When 9/11 happened I couldn't deal with it. When the Iraq war started, I still couldn't deal with it. Now it's like, whatever. I'm going to go watch some MTV now. I couldn't believe it. At least others are having the same reaction, I guess.

OM
mnemonexus chapter 1 . 1/7/2005
Amen.

I'd like to comment on Fallingofftheworld's comment, and say this:Its not like other major world religions encourage parental irresponsibility, violence, nudity, and "bad language"... there is no reason why more of the world's leaders need to be Christian.
D. Yrael chapter 1 . 12/24/2004
Amazing. j00 rocketh.
MockingbirdDreams chapter 1 . 9/16/2004
Hmm, I just recently saw an episode of Penn & Teller on HBO, which covered this same topic.
Kenny the crab person chapter 1 . 7/29/2004
hell yeah
Radio Edit chapter 1 . 6/22/2004
I couldn't agree more, except on one point-
The V-chip isn't government *mandated* lazy parenting, just government *recommended.*
But I do think that the FCC is the most useless branch of government.
My mother has a device called the "TV Guardian" so my 11-year-old little brother doesn't get exposed to the devil's work any more than is neccesary. Google it-it's hilarious.
Everyone in my family is a crazy right-winger, so I am exposed to nonsense of the type you speak of every day.
By the way, listen to NOFX's "Please Play This Song on the Radio," you'll like it.
ijhoghklhgk chapter 1 . 6/9/2004
WOOHOO!
Miranon chapter 1 . 4/30/2004
Hi! Interesting, I dont agree with alot of your opinions, however I agree on this one: Censorship sucks, really it does.
Ive watched R rated movies since I was 5, Told about sex at about the same age, I play extremely violent video games, I have a personal machete to vent out frustrations with, I have a gun that Im in charge of, I tend to use profanities. But im not being an ass like alot of pepole might think that stuff would cause. Censorship is certinaly not the answer.
I completely agree with you on that censorship should be tossed. Im not completely Republican by the way, im more my own party.
Well enough about me.
Remeber i'm not trying to flame with you, Im just pointing out a few things that i thought should be expressed.
I want you to know that crime in the US is not as bad as talked about here, we have no more crime than Britan, It's just of different kind, Our murder rate is higher, however the other type of crimes in Britain are more common.
Also, Guns have been used more in self defense than in crimes, for example one 10 year old had the guts to shoot this guy who was holding his grandmother at knifepoint.
The ultra left media always jump at the chance to say anything wrong about the USA, so it often looks like we are a bunch of annoyed, overweight, gun-waiving, beer guzzling rapeists. And alot of this stuff comes from American media, who can say it without retribution, unlike Russia for example.
I will tell you all a little story about Canada.
As you may have heard Canada has banned FoxNews. This one Canadian decided to complain about it, however he fears retribution from his goverment. Ofcourse it is unconfirmed this guy was actually Canadian, so for all I know I could be wrong on that statement.
We have done alot for the international community, whether from erradicating dictators or giving aid in times of floods or earthquakes, maybe sometimes we need a wake up call like Pearl Harbor to get us going, but once we do we will not stop till the job is done. Were was aid during the San Fransico Earthquake? No we did all of the work ourselves. Rwanda is one issue that was a mistake of us, we had a weak goverment that was sucking up to the UN and did nothing. We should have forsaken the UN right then and there and have done the job. Yea alot of our constitution has been breached, thankfully our system is flexible enough to repair it.
Anyways, enough of my rant, I think you have preformed very well with this essay, despite my not agreeing with alot of it. If I have offended you in any way, Please tell me.
57 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »