Reviews for Religion, What's the Point?
Around.about chapter 1 . 11/30/2005
Very well thought out. I agree with you with my whole heart. Another reviwer said this I can't rember a name but some of the wrighters hear are losing respect we are not thinking which is leading to mindless dribble of reviews.

~Draconian~

p.s. Sorry for the ramble
Meg J. Martin chapter 1 . 9/21/2005
This is a really good essay. I don't have a religion, but I do believe that the world would be better off without it. I don't think it's to control people though. I feel it's just what mankind had made up to explain how they came to exist. I personally prefer the Big Bang theory and Darwin's theory of evolution. I'm not an atheist, I think that God may be out there somewhere, but like you said it hasn't been proven. So all the religions may be wrong! Anyway, I really liked it because it made me think.
Uhala chapter 1 . 1/9/2005
I'm appalled by this essay! Along with being totally wrong and contradicting yourself, you also show your prejudice against all religious say that we inherently know what is right and wrong, but proceed to say that religion creates evil by telling us what is right and wrong. You also miss the whole point of any religion. The point of a religion isn't to explain right and wrong, it is to explain existence. Third, you cannot say that any establishment (including religion) is evil because of what a few bad people do in its name. That's the equivalent of saying that all Germans are evil because of Adolf Hitler and his followers. Before I make my fourth point, I must say this. It is a common misconception that "war is never the answer". This is simply not true. If the USA had not entered the second world war, a Nazi Germanic empire would span the globe. The justification of war is not yours to discern. Fifth, I ask you to explain the world as we know it (its existence) without the presence of a higher power. Sixth, the new testament has been proven to have been written during the lifetimes of tens of thousands of people who saw the events which they describe. It could not have been changed, or none of the early Christians would have followed it. I rest my case.

P.S. I noticed several grammatical, punctuation, and spelling errors.
Miss Construed chapter 1 . 6/9/2004
I must say, you have done a great job with this essay. The points you bring into the spotlight are validated by your theories and details and opinions. Very well done. Being somewhat of an athiest I agree with most points you have brought up.
Well Done!
Lill
Sunraia chapter 1 . 4/29/2004
29 reviews later, I can hardly recall who said what, but I'll try to keep the essay and the reviews apart. You mentioned that, according to you, the bible containes many stories based on facts, but altered to contain God and Jesus. Someone else responded, furiously, that these ancient scrolls cannot be altered. I must agree that simply throwing in the aspect of the Father, the Son, and the Holy ghost, is an aspect too big to add, but I must also stress how these scrolls have been reproduced over the centuries. By hand. Many she's have been turned into he's, and word is Jesus was originally married to Mary Magdalena, and was a father.
In a church in Rome, in the basement, older, and closer to the original stories lie, forbidden for anyone to watch. I can understand you may not touch them, they would instantly fall apart, I immagine, but when read, these scrolls tell some interesting sides of the bible you've probably never seen before.
Secondly, there is the question whether these tales have anything to do with the truth whatsoever. For instance, Jesus couldn't possibly have been born in Bethlehem. There was no... what's the word... people count (?). The story was first written ninety years after Jesus was born. If read carefully, one may notice it mainly stresses that you should listen to the hopes and dreams of lower placed members of society.
And who brought up the whole good/bad heaven/hell theme? Good versus evil is incredibly black and white. To quote Donnie Darko: "You cannot order human feelings on a simple scale from Love to Hate, because there is a huge spectrum of human emotions, that simply cannot be tossed away.".
In this same way, there is no Good and Evil, as there is no black and white. There are innummerable amounts of greys. And I'm still leaving out colours. Therefor, I don't believe heaven or hell is something mortals should be concidering, especially on others. For instance: A organised group of criminals robbes 36 different banks in the state of New York alone. Inforgivible, put them in yail. But what if these men donated every single penny of it to poor orphanages in Wisconsin?
I can't recall who, but one of the reviewers claimed that the author of this essay should shoot themself, since they're going to hell anyway. What happened to the respect here? What happened to human rights, stressing freedom of speech, freedom of opinion? And what on earth happened to the almighty God, who just happens to be the only one to decide on heaven or hell, good or evil, life or death? To quote J.R.R. Tolkien: "Many who live, deserve to die. Yet many who die, deserve to live. Can you grant it to them?".
Personnally, I believe that, taking for granted that there indeed is a God, God is a lot happier with atheists then with christians. If an atheist does something for charity, it's because it makes them feel good about themselves. If a christian does something for charity, it's because they don't want to end up in hell.
Heaven or hell is just what you make of it, just as life can be seen from optimistic or pessimistic perspectives. If you feel you have done something good with your life, fine, come to heaven. If you are aware of the fact that you have caused great pain to certain people, and do not deserve entrance to heaven, you're making it a hell for yourself. Even though I believe these people especially belong in heaven, since they realise their mistakes, they probably won't even try to get in, convinced as they are that they may not. And thát is hell for you. Not some cheesy red goat poking a trident up your bum, not eternal flames burning women who have aborted their to-be-offspring, but guilt. As soon as a resident of hell feels guilt, he should be released immidiatly, and sent to heaven. That's is how I see it. And taking that into action, I think hell is quite deserted.
I don't think it should matter at all whether the reviewers are religious or not, since most of you so eagerly stress it, I've decided to mention it. I am not religious, though I believe. I came across a name for that, something with two U's, but it slipped my mind. What I mean to say is, I believe what I believe, and what I find hard to believe, I dón't believe. I believe in my version of hell, but I don't believe in heaven. I believe in reincarnation. I believe in the good of the people, in éveryone, including completely mental mass murderers. Yet, I also believe in the bad of the people, in everyone. And I mean éveryone. Including Jesus. He, like so many others, had to struggle with the worlds many temptations, and he, like so many others, won. That is what I call magic.
Belle-ness chapter 1 . 4/23/2004
I think I can add my comments as an unbaised (sp?) point of view. I'm really not sure whether I believe in a God or anything and the points you made sure gave a good reason why I shouldn't. So many essays on religion, or on anything infact, are so confusing and don't stick on a subject long enough to make a valid point that they are hard to understand and ultimately have no affect whatsoever. Your essay, however, was really easy to read and understand. Anyone who flames you was clearly much more affected by the points that you made than they can admit. I personally think that the people who flamed you and picked holes in this essay are like me, unsure whether they believe or not, they aren't comfortable with what they think and are flaming you because you make it harder for them to come to a conclusion. There is so much in the essay and in the reviews that I would like to address here, but it would take too long. This really is a remarkable essay, and it was good to read and very helpful, if that's the right word. The only two things that I will say is that war is not a natural disaster, but I guess you already know that, and the point you made about religion causing wars and things like 9/11. People have free will and decide what they believe is right or wrong. Although religion may influence their actions, you cannot blame it 100%. Religion can't be classed as bad and "evil" down to this point at all. It's like saying that a few rotten apples makes the whole basket rubbish, and it doesn't. This isn't a flame, that's my opinion. I thought the essay was wonderful. You're a fantastic writer.
carmice3 chapter 1 . 1/26/2004
Interesting. Your argument is made well. Naturally I disagree with almost everything, but that's a well-made argument none the less.
The biggest point to make against your ideas is that you seem to treat God and religion as things people invent to serve various purposes. Be that to ally a fear of death, or control the masses or whatever.
Have you considered that maybe religion isn’t someone’s attempt at explaining things; maybe there is a God? I agree that religion has been used as the excuse for great evil over the years. But what has that got to do with the question: “is there a God?” Nothing in your argument would be enough to make a believer change their faith. This is an essay written (presumably) by an atheist, targeted at atheists. By failing to address the issue of the existence of God you fail to convince anyone who believes that there is a God.
Mercy Pity Peace and Love chapter 1 . 1/9/2004
We know that killing is wrong not because of some ingrained sense of morality. But because it is taught to us, because religion has set up moral guidelines long ago that we still adhere to.
I am not about to argue that killing in the name of religion is right, or Gods will. Anyway who has read the Bible will know this. The Crusades and other such conflicts are caused by people not the religions themselves. God gave us free will so that we could choose between good and evil, and sadly many people have chosen evil.
Iammealso-JC chapter 1 . 12/2/2003
plus not all people choose to believe in the ten commandments and admit it, unlike the people pretend to believe it but really don't.
Someone, like God, can make a bunch of rules, but people have to choose to follow them, and when God is just in heaven not really doing anything, a lot of people aren't going to follow them. The same goes for a government. Unless there is someone to enforce the rules, no one will listen. Why? Because they are bastards. And, oh, yeah, because everyone has different ideals.
iammealso-JulieCranford chapter 1 . 11/23/2003
God is an insecure, vindictive, lonely old man.

I am not religious, and I don't believe in any higher order, especially when it is manifested into an insecure, vindictive, lonely old man.

I understand, from things various Christians have told me, that the ten commandments tell people for sure what they are not to do. Before the ten commandments there were no rules to agree on. One person might say it is ok to kill someone because they are a danger to other people. Strangly, we do that here in USA, and Texas is known for using the death penalty often, despite being predominately Christian as part of the "bible belt."

Anyway, before the ten commandments, each person had to go on his own thought. But every person is different and has different ideals, as is quite obvious when half the school day is spent on some philosophical argument.

So how to decide what is right and what is wrong? I think the people who have different morals should just stay away from eachother, but what if one person's morals tell him to kill another person, for whatever reason, and he feels it would be wrong to simply stay away from that person?

Then, without some higher power to intervene, it comes down to brute force. If that person doesn't want to die, he will have to stop the other person from killing him, which may mean he will have to kill him. My morals tell me that is ok because it was self-defense, but death could have been avoided all together with a set of rules, whoever provides them.

So, to the Christians, the ten commandments, whether they came from God or an evil dictator, provide a common set of rules for all nations to follow. It is quite true, though, that most peoples which profess to believe in God do not follow that one commandment which says not to kill, which means that it didn't work and people still choose their own morals, regardless of what God said.

So, therefor, though may have a good intention, it does nothing good, because people just ignore that part of religion and take the rest of it to heart and use it as an excuse to kill.
Retlor chapter 1 . 10/9/2003
Its a well written essay although I don't agree with it. I do however think that there has to be some distinction made between Faith and Religion. Faith in my personal dictionary is something pure, unsullied and unsulliable. Faith is beleiving in something, not through proof but through what you feel. Religion is less pure, reliogion is organised mass faith and in my opionion, that is where the problem arises. if you let someone dictate your faith in whatever for you then you are a sheep. This is one of the reasons that I dont beleive in comunal worship. You may find justifieable faults in religion but as faith is personal, unique to the individual, I don't think you can so easily find fault with someone elses. On a differrent note. Negative reviews arent nesacerily flames. You say 'I dont care about flames bring them on etc' in the summary but really the only two that equate to flames are those of Pear and DarkSeraph. An atheists veiw is important yes, but just as you don't like us shoving religion down your throat (and pro-Christian essays can get much stick for this) Christians don't ilke have atheist things like this shoved down theirs. You are entitled to your opinion but if it is contraversial than expect flames.
hi chapter 1 . 5/25/2003
ok, why is it that whenever people

think religion they think christianity?

I personally am Unitarain Universilist

and the enitire point of it is that

people are free to believe whatever they

want to. i agree that religion isn't

really a great thing for a lot of people

but faith has saved a lot of people who

just needed something to believe in.

it's a great essay but i disagree...

people should all just believe what they

want and be who they want to be and

there are plenty of people who love

their religion and agree with it

completely.

wow, i used the word people way too much

there...
Genesis chapter 1 . 5/4/2003
That was one of the best anti-religion essay I've ever read. I don't believe there's a god either, and that religion is just mind control.

-Genesis Eve

P.S. Do you mind if I print this out to show someone?
Pear chapter 1 . 4/15/2003
Your An asshole
I'm leaving fictionpress chapter 1 . 4/9/2003
Hmm...

First of all, I'd like to get it on the record that this is in no way a flame, simply my opposing views.

I am a christian, but I have no designated church. I'm not Anglican Church [Church of England], I'm not catholic, not protestant. I'm my own type of christian.

As anyone who has done Year Nine RE at my school does, I have a very defined opinion of whether god exists, and how he exists. That is our main topic for two terms, and I'd like to say that I got high marks for thoughtful and well arranged essays on the topic. So don't call my arguments weak.

I believe that all god's are one; Allah, God etc etc all the same person. The reason people fight religious wars is that we simply can't agree on this.

I firmly believe that God exists, and that he loves us all. I believe that it causes him pain to let us fight over religion, but he refuses to change a thing because we symbolise freedom. He wants humans to be free, but still obey his laws.

However, we don't obey his laws. Many people say that if he existed, he would enforce them. but wouldn't that mean we are no longer free?

God wants us to be free, therefore, he cannot interfere. but he can comfort us, and many people find comfort and strength in their religion.

Osama Bin Laden and the twin towers;- Bin Laden was not acting on any divine instruction, he was acting on his own. it is not the religions fault, but his own.

If you would like to continue discussing this in a civil manner, please feel free to do so.
34 | Page 1 .. Last Next »