Reviews for Religion
DeadAccount3 chapter 1 . 6/20/2009
I really enjoyed this :) It did seem a little generalizing at times, but sometimes it's hard not to generalize since you tend to see so much of this all the time.

I know you probably won't respond to this since it seems you haven't been active here in years (like me XD) but I thought I'd send along a review anyway.

~Dracori
Joe the sorta Wise chapter 1 . 6/10/2004
"All I want, is a world with peace, knowledge, prosperity. A world where we all live as one"
Now that's a dream a REAL religion could be founded on.

You know what? I think your ideals make you closer to God than faith makes most of the "Christians" around today. Good for you, man.
I think we share a lot of views, my friend. We both said "screw you," to those who worship a book instead of a deity. Me, though, I picked Joeism instead of Atheism.
And by the way, I understand your rage at being told your definition of "faith" was wrong.
Formerly chapter 1 . 1/5/2004
I have argued much the same points for quite some time now, and I believe that your arguments are... not the best. You use passion compared to reason, which is okay for a sheep (read: christian) but not a true follower of reason. I have had the same problems, try to fix that. Use logic instead of shouting.
neermore chapter 1 . 12/27/2003
"All I want, is a world..."
Grammar check: there shouldn't be a comma. There were a couple other places where you separated sentences with commas that shouldn't have been separated.
Don't judge God because of how His followers act. I know that sounds wrong, but I know you won't disagree with me when I say the world is full of hypocrites, and while the church should be different, it isn't. Christ asked for His disciples to act with love towards everyone, and Christians who judge people who don't follow Christ are wrong, completely disobeying what Christ told us.
Have you ever read the New Testament? (Have any of the Christians you've met read the New Testament, I wonder?) I don't see how you, saying you only want peace, can also say everyone should throw away a book that says, "Love one another. Do good to those who hate you. Bless those who curse you."
Christians, if they believe the Bible, should also believe that God gave laws for people to follow, and people sin and break those laws. The point is that we're all sinners in need of grace. It doesn't matter what the sin is. Some people claiming to be Christians do hate people who sin in certain areas, big example being homosexuals. That's the stupidest thing in the world. Telling one "little white lie" separates someone from God as much as having sex outside of marriage, and heterosexual sex outside of marriage is as bad as homosexual sex outside of marriage. There are no big or little sins, just big or little consequences in life for committing the sins.
I really don't feel like arguing about the evolution thing right now. I know Christians who believe in God-ordained evolution. I don't really care about how the world came into being. I care that people have problems, and they can find the solution in God.
Final thought: hate should never be offered by Christians.
NeWriter chapter 1 . 9/7/2003
There are other Christians, like me, who hear what is said in mass about the bible and not try and live with it. Im not in the last uncomfortable with someone who is Atheist or Jewish... whatever. You expressed your feelings and beliefs very well here; and Im glad that you are at peace with being an Atheist and proud of it. However, all those stuff that happened to you when you were little... shouldnt be blamed on the whole "Christian" religion.

I think that is the main problem with it... if you get stolen then all the criminals are suspicious. If someone tries to convert another person, then all the humanity who is Christian gets blamed. I mean, whats up with that? Christians should be independant and live their lives as Jesus told us to. You said it also here! I think you expressed it very well... but you cant hate all the Christians for something someone did to you when young! Great essay )
Kate Lynay chapter 1 . 7/10/2003
I just want to start out by saying that not all Christians are bad, and not all atheists are good.

I don't agree with hard-line Christians who try to force their beliefs on everyone else, like Mormons or some other faiths, because that's not what Christ is about.

I'm a Lutheran, which is a form of Protestant, and I feel that we are all entitled to our opinions. What people told you as a child was wrong. Not because they said wrong things, but because of how they said it. I don't believe in Hell, because God will save and redeem everyone, even if they don't deserve it.

In saying that you wanted people to leave you alone in your religion, or lack there of, then many of the things you say are completely hypocritical. You're saying that you wish Christians, and just Christians, stop forcing their religion on good, normal people. Well, in your essay you did just the opposite of that, and began preaching(I don't know if that's what atheists call it)your beliefs.

Your essay attacked Christians in general. You may have talked about Isreal, but really, I mean, what about Muslims who are so into their religion that they fly planes into buildings. I'm not saying that all Muslims are bad. Some are good and some are bad. But you failed to make that distiction in your essay, lumping all Christians into the bad category.

About the Big Bang theory, and the Theory of Evolution, have you ever seen "Inherit the Wind"? I doubt it. In the movie it is very cleary showed that the timeline in the Bible could easily fit the timeline of Evolution or the Big Bang. I go to church every Sunday and I have never been told not to go to a pharmacist, or that aliens come from the Grand Canyon. All I hear in Church, is to be good to others, and spread the goodwill of Jesus. To me, that means inviting someone who is interested to come to church with me, not force-feeding phamphlets down a persons throat.

I'm not saying that you are a bad person, or that you deserve to go to Hell, because no one deserves that. But your essay attacked Christians in general. All I am pointing out is how I disagree with you. I respect you for putting your beliefs and feeling up for all to read, knowing that not everyone was going to agree with you. That's not an easy thing to do.

~Katie
Ambitious Fire chapter 1 . 4/21/2003
Before submitting this review, I looked at the previous reviews of people that have read this essay before. I saw many different varieties of faith, some of my own, some not. I agree in some ways with each one. I don't agree with all of your essay.

I don't agree with the over-profuse preaching, or forcing-faith Christians. Nobody is going to believe anything they say if they try forcing them into it. *Shakes her head.* And then scolding you as a child-well, not exactly scolding, but telling you your parents were horrible for some reasons- is very rude and even if the woman did not agree with what your parents allowed, she should not disrespect them. I, personally, don't like South Park myself, just the fact that Kenny dies all the time and such, it just disturbs me...I understand it is for humor, and it is adult humor. I don't think kids should watch it, but even if I knew people who let their kids watch it, I wouldn't tell their child how aweful I think they are for allowing it.

I'm going to admit I am Christian. I'm not sure about Born-Again. I'm only 14... But I think I have a mature outlook on life. Not to sound like I'm egotistical, but I just like thinking about things thoroughly. I really only became this way recently...I'm not what some people would veiw as the "Perfect Christian." I enjoy doing any things I'm sure my parents would disapprove of, as well as other people I know. These are role playing, fan fiction authoring, and chatting on the net to people far older then myself. I think that drug and alcohol humor is halarious. I think some sex humor is funny, but I don't approve of it over-used or sex before marrige profusely shown or influenced. Other things as well, but it's not like I'm doing anything with these people that will effect me in my real, non-internet life. But, anyways, this isn't about me. I just want to say I don't hate you or anyone else for being atheist, or believing anything else besides my religion. Everyone is open to their own veiws and thoughts on anything, but I don't think anyone should not like anyone if they don't believe or think the same thing. This is America people, a land that is supposed to have freedom without discrimination. But I don't think that people should use the freedom of speech to talk strongly against anyone else's thoughts.

For this reason, I ask you not to suggest the bible was written by high people...-_-; Yet I just preached about how people should have freedom of speech and such, but please don't use it to speak NEGITIVELY against peoples thoughts.

But I realize this is hard. I myself speak against things I strongly disagree with, like very violent or over-sexual humor ot suggestions, etc. But I only do this because I want the world to be peaceful, like you do. Not some sex-revolving world (as I realize it practically is) that violence and war does not seem something odd to it's people. I DO want everyone, I admit, to believe what I belief. But I wont force them to believe at all. If anyone asks me for religious advice or about what I believe, I will freely speak it. But I wont force it.

Anyways, I could go on and on, but I'll spare you. All I ask is you don't diss other's beliefs, however I agree with some of what you say, and respect your veiws on things very much. I hope that we all do live together in peace one day. Who knows when or if it will come at this rate.

Don't hate me for saying this, but Bless you, and goodbye. Peace! )

-Myself.
MadMorrow chapter 1 . 3/29/2003
First, let me tell you that I’m not religious; I think for the most part organized religion is a farce. This does not make me an atheist. Frankly I don’t know what this makes me; but basically I think organized religion is manipulative and disingenuous, atheism is cold and sterile.

Considering the information you provided, I do think your conclusions were logical. However, I do think the foundation you’re basing everything on is flawed. You sound as if you're blaming everything bad in this world on religion - but it has more to do with human nature. Most religions are not bad, they lean towards good actually. But like many things in this world, they are used by people with less altruistic goals in order to get their way - but that's with everything: technology, science, nationalism, race, political affiliation, the list goes on and on.

Just look at the United States. We were created by those persecuted based on their religion - not by atheists. The Constitution is highly influenced by faith. Understand this before persecuting religion, understand instead that the answer is not as simple as you make it sound.

And just look at the Soviet Union. That was a union that was pure atheism, didn't stop them from slaughtering millions of people that disagreed with them. There was no paradise.

Like many things in this world, too much is a bad thing. And that's my point, it's those that are obsessed with something that usually cause harm. Those that can't admit when they're wrong, that want 'ownership' over people at any cost, those that don't respect other peoples views. I think some religion is good, I sometimes envy those with an undying faith - but I need a bit more than that.

Also, you said some Christian woman bad mouthed your parents for letting you watch South Park. You didn't say how religion came into that, did it even come into the argument? I admit freely that South Park is a bad role model for children, just as I also admit watching it and thinking it's funny as hell. You criticize those that think religion has to do with everything, isn't that what you just did with the woman shown above? Can't religious people criticize something and have a point that has nothing to do with religion but instead good sense?

And another thing, with all that's going on in the world why do you point to Christianity as the most dangerous religion? Your anecdote about being ridiculed is fairly tame, especially considering what goes on in schools today. Just look at some of the more radical Islamic countries, your anecdote pales in comparison to what goes on over there in the name of religion.

Like I said in the beginning, I'm not a religious person (despite my heavy tone). I just hate it when one view is so heavily supported, it needs some opposition - nothing is usually as simple as it is portrayed, facts and argument need to be added.
Once in a blue moon chapter 1 . 3/25/2003
Although I do not agree with you (especialy "a world where we all live as one" - if we were all the same it would be quite boring. I know I like hearing what other people believe.), I am very interested in this essay. You backed up what you thought with facts and experiecnces you had. It was well thought out and well phrased. But you must take into acount the fact that people find comfort in believing in something bigger than all of us (and I'm not talking about science). I (as a christian) do not try to convert anyone (nor to my friends who are all different religions and creeds i am proud to say). Most Christians do not take the Bible litterally anymore and you shouldn't "blame" everyone for the few extreamists (come on, Harry Potter is satan spawn? I don't think so!). Anyway, I enjoyed your views. Write more like this soon!
DarkSorceress chapter 1 . 3/3/2003
I agree with every thing that you said here. I am also an atheist.

Your lucky, judging from the essay, I don't think that your parents are like the people you complained about in your essay. My parents are, and Ive been yelled and screamed at for not wanting to pray, or join in on there beliefs.

Excellent essay.
The Missing Spoon chapter 1 . 3/1/2003
Kudos to you. You managed to present your ideas (yea, I've seen Dogma too many times. Ideas, not beliefs.) in an open fashion. That takes thought.

I myself share many of your views. Not too many people have tried to convert me (I'm an in between, brought up Jewish, though), and those who have tried have been shot down. I, too, share your dislike towards people obsessed with converting the world.

Read the Bible. It's a good read, but just that. In my eyes, it's more like a novel.

Nice writing.
David Osborn chapter 1 . 2/27/2003
I want to be your new best friend.

That was the best eassy I've read on the topic outside the Skeptical Inquirer. I'm an unbaptised athiest. Some might consiter me an antichirst. I think that literally, that's true. I'm a libertine, and I don't beleive in anyting. I actively try to destroy people's faith, because I think it's unhealthy. If people help other's, it shouldn't be because a god wishes it, but because they wish it.

I try to have an open mind, but I can never view beleivers as my equel. I see them as below me. I know that is a superiority complex, but I can't see somebody who beleives in something which doesn't exist as being 100% down to earth.

Born Again Christians (or as they're known in my parts, BAC's) are at the bottom rung of the ladder. Because you just don't find somebody who's a BAC by birth, but is also an athiest. I once met a BAC, and the one of the first things she said to me was how she couldn't wait to die so that she could get into heaven. I was disturbed, and try as I might, I couldn't convert her (although 5 hours on the phone of me preaching atheism sure as hell weakened her faith). She was my girlfriend.

I agree that as mankind advances, religion becomes more and more trivial. There has been a somewhat disturbing resurgence in Amereica, but that's a last ditch effort by the chruches to stop the growing athiesm. Hopefully, within the next few centuries, religion will just be aciecnt theolegy.
Loganberry chapter 1 . 2/26/2003
Now this is interesting. I'll get the little criticism out of the way now - that it could have done with a bit of proofreading for typos - so that I can get my teeth into the substance.

I, like you, am an atheist. Having thought about it, I can't reconcile myself to the existence of a supreme being - in fact, that goes for any sort of supernatural or "paranormal" phenomena. But I do think you're a little unfair when you say "a true Christian will not accept [evolution and the Big Bang] because the Bible says otherwise"; I have friends who would be very hurt not to be regarded as "true Christians" who believe in both.

I always laugh inwardly when someone tries the "you'll go to Hell if you don't believe in X" approach - they don't see the essential difficulty with that, which is that as I don't believe in Hell in the first place it's no threat at all! However, I know enough people who have been made miserable by such threats (I happen to be a fur, and Catholic furs especially often get a pretty unpleasant time from their priests in this regard) not to be able to regard it with complete equanimity.

A thought-provoking essay, which I'm glad I made the time to read. Thank you.
solfina pride chapter 1 . 2/25/2003
Yes! Down with religion, the eternal crutch!
Whitesiren chapter 1 . 2/22/2003
I am a Christian because my parents were one. but without their influence what would i be?

I think that you wouldnt be damned to hell just bcoz you dont believe in a god, if you only do good and dont kill someone or anything.

There are alot of questions in this world that are still unanswered, but dont you just hate it when people try to force the answer on us? like god is the answer or something,like that.

good essay.