Reviews for Before Boston
Bloo Heart chapter 1 . 3/9/2003
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. I've always wanted to go to Boston, or atleast around that area. . .

The way that you incorporated history into the poem so seamlessly was simply -amazing-. . .and the words that you used just flowed like silk. Absolutely amazing. I really like the third and fifth stanzas, the way you were able to articulate everything so perfectly. . .just. . .wow.
Glass November chapter 1 . 2/25/2003
Hm.I love the flow throughout the poem, though admittedly that does make choosing a favorite stanza difficult! I do especially like

"Before the hidden gravity of gardens

(not quite Babylon), before two long

centuries of vivid American dreams,

before lobsters eaten with reverence"

though I'm not exactly sure why; perhaps it's the sense of then and now, of timelessness and materialism, though that could just be me.

As opposed to directly comparing and contrasting Boston, you bring the past into the present and intertwine them, while still maintaining a comparative edge. Though I've never been to Boston, you do a wonderful job of bringing it to life!
Bobbo chapter 1 . 2/23/2003
Well, you keep nagging me about this, yet I don't really have much to say about it. Boston! Good city!

For some reason I picture this all taking place at a cafe.

O.o
Oba chapter 1 . 2/23/2003
Pretty poem, pretty poem.

I love the part where the sun abandons the noonday zenith. Some mental block in my head with the inability to make an object into a person. Hmm.

Queer idea from the second to last paragraph. Ohh.
FalseExecutioner chapter 1 . 2/22/2003
Well lets just say u did it again. very descriptive (this gives me the clue that you wanna go to boston)[gets the feeling that while emerald is reading this (if she even reads these) that she suddenly thinks "damn he is slow")Well i hope u get to boston and i hope i get to see it when i drive (it sounds cool and just the fact that i can drive there is cool)Good job! (1 thing it was the northe in the fourth stanza that i got as nor the so thats all u had wrong)
tarnished oversoul chapter 1 . 2/22/2003
you sold it to me, now I want to go. Except instead of going to Boston for spring break I get to go to Northern Ontario. Excitement galore.

TO
the Queen of Jupiter chapter 1 . 2/22/2003
Beautiful tribute to Boston! I've never been, either, but I'm aching to go now after reading your poem

Peace
Amaris chapter 1 . 2/20/2003
Can't wait till spring are you going over break? You didn't tell me. I liked this poem, although it didn't quite have the feel of a poem; your others usually do. Probably because you end a lot of your sentences mid-line. I like your connections to other people. (Just finished Gatsby last night.) Anyway, it seems sort of thoughtful and although (like I said) it doesn't quite have the poem feeling, I like how it flows.
lemoncane79 chapter 1 . 2/20/2003
i do not understand! i sorry!
Sorcha Zell chapter 1 . 2/20/2003
Wow, for not having been to Boston yet you really managed to capture it well. Your poem brought back a lot of memories of my own trip to Boston a couple of years ago. I really enjoyed reading this poem!
paradoxical goddess chapter 1 . 2/20/2003
Wow. And I refuse to believe you have never been.
Rose of Dresden chapter 1 . 2/20/2003
ah! this has to be one of my favorite poems by you. I love all the references (Hawthorne, Alcott, Jay Gatsby).and Boston is one of my favorite cities,

Lovely!