Reviews for 1863
SomeGhol chapter 1 . 7/11/2004
Wow, this is an very good poem. The description of Burn's narration style is spot on. I hate his documentery as well, both for its style and message it it preaches.
Very nicely done!
lemoncane chapter 1 . 3/3/2003
the juxtaposed was a store in the mall! lol. i dont quite get the wolves dieing in the north thing, but i liked the "And Lincoln, in these

spiral-bound pages,

is caught in the words dedicated to him,

unaware that he is a tourist attraction

and a bright copper sheen -

no, he is impossibly stoic in his sleep.

" it was very good!

ashley
Glass November chapter 1 . 3/1/2003
Wow.

So entirely true. The feelings are completely familiar, at least to me, and you express them so eloquently. I'm not sure what part was my favorite, because they're all so necessary.

Excellent poem, as usual.
the Queen of Jupiter chapter 1 . 3/1/2003
Fantastic! You described your frustration with these sort of historic narrative videos perfectly. I love the second stanza. I lost you around the 7th stanza; it didn't quite seem to fit with the rest of the poem. Then again, I don't know too much about American history; only the American Revolution and all that (we've never gotten past the Industrial Revolution in all the years I've been taught American history). Lovely last stanza and last line. Very powerful.

Keep writing! Peace
FalseExecutioner chapter 1 . 2/28/2003
Very articulate i didnt really catch on to the whole theme and plot (but then again u are hearing this from me) i know it has something to do with president lincoln (duh)and the civil war but the moses thing confused me to death.
Rose of Dresden chapter 1 . 2/28/2003
o! I love this, I love the repetition of "need no narration".I personally enjoyed the Ken Burns thing, but I didn't like the Northern bias. -. My favorite part was definitely the "all we lost" section. History is wonderful!
Obake-Chan chapter 1 . 2/27/2003
I didn't think that was long. And I've never seen a Ken Burns documentary before. Maybe for the good of it.

I liked the part with tale and tell, all we lost; we all lost, freedom is an extension of war. There were lots of lines that appealed to me.

The fourth stanza with the connection to eyes were cool. And the fifth with colors. More.

Juxtapose(ition). we talked about that so much in English.
Commie chapter 1 . 2/27/2003
I thought Moses was a man!

Anyways, you use Juxtapose in just about every poem you've ever at least it seems that way. "The whiteness of it all" seems kinda stale, but that's what you might've been going for. Also, the "redwhiteandblue" line seems like there should have more em that's a strictly grammatical note.

Lincoln was the bestest best president cuz he ignored the constitution and created a super dictatorship to fight those idiot southerners. Just hoped you all wanted to know that.
Amaris chapter 1 . 2/27/2003
I like it when you include opposites - "all we lost; we all lost." I also liked how "we are a nation of free men dying by suicide" because we are one country so you can't really say how many of the enemy you killed because in the end the country is both the good and the evil. bit about Moses seemed random. I'd forgotten about Tubman, and so I was wondering why Moses came in, and then why Moses suddenly became a "she/her." I also liked how you called it "America's divorce from itself." Nice use of words throughout.