Reviews for Hope and Charity Without Faith
Andy Fleener chapter 1 . 4/17/2006
Kudos. I like it.I, personally, am a Christian...sorta. I call myself a Lexieist (my name being Lexie), but it derives from Christianity _
Becky chapter 1 . 4/25/2004
I'm Wiccan, i get stick on religon all the time. Nice stroy type thing...
Trig chapter 1 . 2/25/2004
I went threw a similar experience when I was asked about my religion. Though mines invovled a lot more violence. (Because everyone thinks if they are joined to a religion that they will goto heaven no matter what they do)
Anyway good introduction. Basically stating your childhood was happy even without religion. Also liked how you had a calm attitude to though who opposed being an 'unbeliever'.
Overall it's a grand essay
hated-love chapter 1 . 3/2/2003
I learn to keep my mouth shut but someday, I want to scream it out loud just so I can make them face their discriminating ways. . . hehehe
Professor Bob chapter 1 . 3/2/2003
Great work! You're unfortunately another person who was hurt by a bible beating fanatic, and I'm sorry garbage like that happened to you too. I applaud you for your courage to not stand up, but sit and say your beliefs. Don't be afraid of what others think of atheism, your views are just as valid and important as anothers. And your little survey didn't surprise me one bit. People will outright attack atheists, but they know so little of their own religion themselves. Stay focused, and never lose sight of the idea you hold. Feel glad that you have the power of free thought, and keep up the good work!
RYoung chapter 1 . 3/2/2003
Well done, you stood up for what you believed in, even though you were the only one who believed it.
Ambrose chapter 1 . 3/1/2003
Well, its different that's for sure. Lol, I'm a little miffed and its twelve thirty at night so forgive my poor reviewing skills.

I guess that religion is in the eye of the beholder. I try to me the strongest Christian I can be, without really taking on full belief in any one sort of religion. I still take Communion but for differnt reasons and beliefs than regular Catholics do. That in and of itself opened me up to a world of severe caution from a few friends and there was one person (who I don't even like) told me that his religion, was superior and that I was retarded and was going to hell because I took communion in a fashion that wasn't his and that my beliefs were lower than his and that he was superior. That happened to me just a couple of months ago

It may not be what you've been through but when its Christian to Christian sometimes the tension is high especially hardcore catholic to nonorganized christian (like myself) so I sort of get what your saying.

I can't disagree or argue with you on any of your beliefs, I think you and I have been through this conversation when I was hardcore catholic pre- agnostic stage, pre-something else stage and then to where I am now. You have the right to your own thoughts and beliefs and anyone who treads against them, espeically Religious people are going against their own religion. Telling someone that they are going to hell is essentially against most Christian faith because judgement is left up to God alone and we have no right to damn anyone to hell.

On the written was a little choppy, and a little out of place and awkward at points but still fair. Its interesting to see some of your veiws keep them up!

~Brose
Loganberry chapter 1 . 3/1/2003
Interesting and balanced piece. I'm an atheist myself, although I went to a Church of England middle school (not at all an unusual combination here). but then I suppose things are probably different in Britain; this country's church attendance rate is about 2%, for example, and the idea that someone would imply, as President Bush did a while ago, that atheists were not worthy citizens, is just beyond comprehension, as is the idea that you could be the *only* atheist in a class.

Anyway, I really admire the way in which you've put across your position so clearly without resorting to name-calling. As you say, lack of religion doesn't imply lack of morality, and one sign of that is your appreciation of others' right to hold differing views, even if those same views incorporate criticism of your own.
Kara Kasai chapter 1 . 3/1/2003
Wow, wonderful essay. I really have to top it off to you that . . it's so rare for people to speak out about religion. I personally think that Atheism is nothing bad, even though I am basically a Christian. I have friends who believe in the Devil, but that does not change their personality.

And you're right about religious hypocrisy: My God, some people at school can be so judgmental about religion. THey treat my non-believing friends like dogs. It's so disgusting, especially when these people are probably Christian, and in the Bible there is one quote that is known in many ways: 'Do unto others as you would like unto you.' People with different religions does not change who they are at all.

But people are always going to be alone. THat's what needs to be learnt about life: people keep changing, and moving, so in the end, everybody is alone.

Keep writing interesting things like this!

Also, often the most unknowing religious people think they are acting so piously on God's behalf in shunning those who are not within their belief. THat goes beyond shallow, and I still don't understand why there is so much discrimination over something so small and over something SO STUPID like this. It's the same concept as one loving strawberries and another hating every fruit - except the difference is that people think they are being so religious when they discriminate.

My criticisms: It's a little bit choppy here and there, but otherwise it comes out pretty much fine.

-K. Kasai
thebenchwench chapter 1 . 3/1/2003
wow. I completely and utterly agree with you. you have no idea how long I have looked for someone that agrees with me. I also felt completely alone when religion came into play. I'm so sick of the atheists who only believe what they do because a religion doesn't fit what they want. You have said everything I couldn't explain to my christian friends. Anyway, your essay is very well written and the only negative thing I could say is that it needs to be a little more organized. Other than that, I loved it and I think it will enlighten those who don't know why they believe what they do.