Reviews for The Singularity
His Divine Shadow chapter 1 . 10/30/2003
Quoting from Michio Kaku's "Hyperspace":

"...a massive rotating star does not collapse into a point. Instead the spinning star flattens until it eventually

is compressed into a ring, which has interesting properties. If a probe were shot into the black hole from

the side, it would hit the ring and be totally demolished. The curvature of space-time is still infinite when

approaching the ring from the side. There is still a "ring of death" so to speak, surrounding the center.

However, if a space probe were shot into the ring from the top or bottom, it would experience a large but

finite curvature; that is the gravitational force would not be infinite.

The rather surprising conclusion from Kerr's solution means that any space probe shot through a spinning

black hole along its axis of rotation might, in principle, survive the enormous but finite gravitational fields at

the center and go right on through to the mirror universe without being destroyed by infinite curvature. The

Einstein-Rosen bridge acts like a tunnel connecting two regions of space-time; it is a wormhole. Thus the

Kerr black hole is a gateway to another universe."

end quote.

And that is a solution using today's science. In 5 billion years, our science will be outstripped by inventions

and calculations undreamed of today. Conclusion: continue writing, maybe make a few corrections.
Tajin Akian chapter 1 . 4/19/2003
I believe that it is the author's choice to who he or she wants to write. If they have enough imagination to great an entire world with new sciences, religions, political views, or anything of the such, then they should be allowed to without being critizied for it. Seeing as it is her story, shouldn't she be given absolute freedom to write as she wishes?
HoneyB chapter 1 . 4/13/2003
intreguing, plz continue. it'll b interesting 2 c where u take this!
Thren chapter 1 . 4/13/2003
Tajin: It's still SCIENCE Fiction. It's based on real science. Granted you take liberties with it, don't go back in time when travelling FTL for example, that doeesn't mean you can create your own science. When you do so it just detracts from the story buy adding an air of unbelievability.
Tajin Akian chapter 1 . 4/12/2003
This isn't a true review of the story, just one comment to the other reviewers before this. If you didn't notice, it is scienceFICTION. Anything she writes could very well be true in that world. *shrugs* Just pointing out that it makes it more interesting to avoid true science and actually great a new one. I liked the story though, very good job PC.
Aeglowyn chapter 1 . 4/12/2003
Although it may not be founded in 'true' science, I think this is still a well written piece of work. I especially like the character of Jainea.

Dodgy on the science, great on the relationships. However, I find it slightly dissapointing that after millions of years, humanity hasn't changed any further. But, you know, it's your call. Write for fun, not to get into American Physics Journal.
Thren chapter 1 . 4/12/2003
I don't know where to start. The syntax is very hard to read. The plot is bad. And the science is flawed. The sun will NEVER explode, it will go out in a wimper not a bang.
Marek The Great chapter 1 . 4/12/2003
I'm terribly sorry, but after reading the summary for your story here, I couldn't help but read it. You have the beginnings of an interesting idea here (if a terribly trite one), but there are some major problems that I could not resist telling you about. First off, our sun is a low-end type-G that lacks the mass to go SUPERnova ever. It will likely nova in about 5 billion years (you got that right) leaving behind a white drawf. The effect would still end life on earth though. Even if the sun could got supernova, it would first pass through a red giant phase, expanding its diamater to roughly the orbit of the asteroid belt. This would end life on earth long before the actual supernova explosion. No body write a statement of probability as you have. Sorry, but decimals are never used like that. Finally, while you have many of the ideas right regarding black holes and relativity, there is no way to pass "through" a black hole. As you said, it is simply a singularity, not a passage. The only possible exception to this would be exibited in what is called a "Kerr Singularity" produced by a rotating black hole. Such a singularity MIGHT produce a wormhole, but the effect would collapse as any matter travels through the "Kerr Horizon" and thus would destroy that matter. Nevertheless, nice attempt at incorperating a little physics into your story. I enjoy it when someone tries to make their sci-fi tales at least partially accurate. As for the actual story, I would like to see further developments and perhaps an edit of this chapter to make it a little more scientifically realistic. I am in the process of writing a story involving wormholes, which is on this site, if you care to read it. May help. And one last thing: even if humanity lasted 5G years, NASA never would. Maybe a new name for the singularity agency is in order?