Reviews for Lark's Song
leavesfallingup chapter 11 . 12/20/2013
A moving story. It is amazing how peer pressure in high school can make us into cowards... due to the fear of losing things that seem to matter at the time. Then, after high school, we realize how useless and taudry those things were... and how many people were hurt in our efforts to hang onto those useless things.
leavesfallingup chapter 2 . 12/20/2013
Your story is well-written so far, though something is throwing me off: Other than rich private schools, I don't know of many all-white schools in the D.C. area. At first I thought that this story was set several decades back and in a mid-west setting... perhaps then it would fit... but now, and in D.C.?

With the larger African-American population in D.C. and with the international influence of the area, it seems odd that there would be an entire school such as the one you describe. Foreign businessmen, diplomats, etc. live in the area and bring their families. While I was there I ate dinner at a traditional Japanese home (on the floor and at a short table), played raquetball with a Nigerian, and went to the party of a Taiwanese couple.

So then, while the prejudice definitely exists as you describe it, racial demographics don't make sense. No offense?
Guest chapter 11 . 10/2/2011
That was an incredible and heart-breakingly beautiful story. Their Romeo and Juliette romance literally brought me to tears.
Nghi chapter 1 . 12/17/2006
I like the whole plot you've set out. It's not unusual to see the whole social pyramid being played out in romance stories, but I'm not immune to it. I do like to read them from time to time.

But I think your portrayal of Asian racism is slightly overdramatic. It's not uncommon to encounter racism throughout your life, but it IS weird to have an entire school hate you based on your nationality. The story is placed in modern times, and there are a LOT of Asians in this country. I don't have any percentages or whatever because I'm poor at using Google (LOL), but you get what I mean. A group of people, I'll understand, but when you've got the entire school-no, community thinking like that, it kind of gives off the creepy circa 1975's vibe.

And I also wanted to correct on Larksong's last name. Chan is either Chinese or Korean, but it is not a Vietnamese last name.

Also, a few grammatical errors, but otherwise, it was pretty much OK. :)

-Nghi
Meio chapter 1 . 2/9/2006
Interesting plot. I want to see how it goes. .
Sally-andersonn chapter 11 . 9/16/2005
Ah! How sweet. My heart is turning into a pile of mushy stuff now.
Sally-andersonn chapter 6 . 9/16/2005
The denial thing is done perfectly! i am really loving this.

However, the community's dislike of Lark's fmaily seems to be unreasonable as you did not justify it. Only Amanda seems to have a good reason to hate Lark.
Sally-andersonn chapter 5 . 9/16/2005
This is so sweet. It is cliche but isn't too because the girl being hated isn't 'unaware of how beautiful she is' and every one just seems so real and not like card board cut-outs.
Sally-andersonn chapter 2 . 9/16/2005
Yes! Josh said the magic word! Also the matter of the Lark's blue eyes. Is she a halfie? If she is, then she still should have brown eyes.
Sally-andersonn chapter 1 . 9/16/2005
Fantastic first chapter.
Lisa chapter 11 . 8/31/2005
It was a good story, but the ending sucked. Sorry, there was no other way to put it. It was incomplete. It left the reader hanging. Usually some writers get criticism and they revise previous chapters. All you have to do is revise the ending.
virgo-valentina chapter 11 . 1/1/2005
aww!this story is so sweet!
amber n chapter 11 . 7/9/2004
hey great story. the epilogue was good i liked it a lot. i'm a sucker for happy endings too, don't worry even though it seems a little too movie-esque. how bout tearing down the epilogue to get all your readers miffed and setting up sequel but don't tell them that it's a sequel... they kind of figure out through the voices. but it was great
Jun Ying chapter 1 . 3/10/2004
i don't think u shud reveal so much about the characters...the first part i mean. But reveal it in stages through their behaviour and action. You could even turn their hobbies into some other complications...etc. Other than that, i find ur detail good
but hey, i'm not the best writer in the world.
purple sea chapter 11 . 1/25/2004
I love this story, it's an original and shows so much emtion. Good work!
126 | Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »