Reviews for Beings
Argentus 9 chapter 1 . 5/5/2003
this is fascinating... very pensive.

i connected to your point concerning the plural and singular versions of the word "being"... rather like monism, n'est pas? whole religions/philosophies are based on that (as well as nothingness, of course).

the word nothingness tends to connotate a negative idea, but that's not an informed idea. if there were not nothingness, then there would not be being. everything must have a counterpart.

well done!
Loganberry chapter 1 . 4/29/2003
(Yes, I am reviewing this one because it's short. What did you expect?)

Surely, though, *all* words are merely pointers? "Ceci n'est pas un pipe," as Magritte might put it.

The discussion on nothingness is interesting. Ordinary language rather fails one here, as it does when discussing "what happened before the Big Bang" or the related issue of "what is outside the universe".

Talking of ordinary language: I'm sure you're not being intentionally obscure here, but really, some explanation of a few of your terms might help. You're writing for a general audience, after all (at least, I assume you are, as you don't state otherwise). It's hardly going to make anyone better disposed towards you if they have to spend as long researching their reading as you spent researching your writing! The way it comes across at the moment is almost as if you're revelling in being difficult for the sake of it, and that's not a terribly attractive position.

What I think I'm trying to say here is: some fascinating ideas, but somewhat opaque expression thereof.
Kelpylion chapter 1 . 4/22/2003
I like this essay. It's very difficult to understand, mostly because of subject matter, but also because of a few minor slips in wording. But you make some interesting points about nothingness-something most people would never think of. Or rather, not something...Ow. my frontal lobe is sore.I'm not sure I understand the part about the optional pluralization of 'being.' Also, is 'being' intended as a noun or a verb? Just wondering. Overall, this was a very insightful little piece.