Reviews for Collector's Folly
Ukiah chapter 1 . 2/18/2009
NOTE:

My previous comment regarding this poetry collection needs to be revised (unfortunately I don't know if that's possible, so here's a new comment hopefully filling those holes).

Prior to 2007 the reviews refer to old chapter numbers (see the review on Chapter 11 for the majority of the guide). However, for the haiku's that were moved - the reviews were as follows:

Title / Original Chapter

haiku a 353 Chapter 6

haiku b 575 Chapter 7

haiku c 575 Chapter 13

haiku d 575 Chapter 15

haiku e 575 Chapter 17

haiku f 575 Chapter 18

All of the above can now be found in my Haiku submission, too bad it isn't that easy to move comments .;

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.
Ukiah chapter 11 . 2/18/2009
In order to comply with the changes in the TOS, I had to remove an introductory chapter. I have also decided to make a change in how this collection will be presented - all poems in haiku form are being moved and going forward will be collected in a separate submission. This has of course played havoc with the reviews previously submitted since they still refer to the old chapter numbers - the good news is any comments you make going forward will refer to the correct chapters.

In order to match up comments made before this comment, use this handy little guide (which I hope I lined up correctly):

Title vs Original Chapter

Prism Chapter 11

Poet in Poem Chapter 12

Worker Bee Chapter 14

Long Hand Chapter 16

haiku a through f have been moved to my submission titled "Haiku"
Ukiah chapter 15 . 12/28/2006
NOTE:

I've removed chapter one (my author's note, per the updated TOS) but unfortunately it did not push back all the reviews given thus far. So everything up to this point is actually referring to one chapter back, ex: a review for chapter 15 is referring to chapter 14.
KirstenE chapter 15 . 6/10/2005
CREEPY!

But very, very good. Powerful. Enigmatic. My favorite haiku of yours.

And now I conclude my critiques of your series of poems. I know I've left some criticism, but I know you aren't one of the many of people on here that can't handle anything other than garish praise. I hope you find it all helpful, and I've added you to my favorite author's list. I look forward to reading much more of your work. I really think you're a brilliant poet, and I see you've written fiction too. I look forward to seeing what that's like. D
KirstenE chapter 14 . 6/10/2005
I've told you in a previous review that I love your use of repetition.

That still stands. D
KirstenE chapter 13 . 6/10/2005
Symbolic. I like symbolism. Perhaps the symbolism is a bit -too- obvious.

But then, with haikus, it's difficult, since there isn't a whole lot of room and it needs to be a bit more blunt. For it's purpose, it serves well, and is quite a change from the previous poems I've reviewed, as it isn't quite as enigmatic.
KirstenE chapter 12 . 6/10/2005
Something seems to be missing, but I can't quite tell what it is. Direction, maybe? That doesn't sound quite right, but I can't think of a better word.

Of course, sometimes that's better, if it's meant to be that way stylistically. It could be better with some revision, I think, but all the same, it's a lot better than most poetry I see on fp.
KirstenE chapter 11 . 6/10/2005
I admit, I was afraid when I saw the title. I've seen way too many poems called prism that were cheesy, uncreative drivel.

But this is the best poem I've ever read on . In fact, better than a lot of poems I've read from classic and modern published poets. I LOVE it. I'm printing it off right now, in fact, because that's just what I do when I like stuff. It's the next best thing to having it in a book.
KirstenE chapter 10 . 6/10/2005
I love love love love love the use of repetition. My reviews are going to start getting shorter (whether that's a good or bad thing, you decide), as I'm now on a bit of a time crunch.

I love this one. Love.
KirstenE chapter 9 . 6/10/2005
Would you be offended if I said this, on first impression, sort of reminds me of David Bowie? I'm not sure how you feel about him, but I like Bowie, so I mean it in a good way.

Of course, the more I read the less it seemed Bowie-esque, and your own individuality came out stronger. The whole poem seemed to crescendo into an orgasmic last line (heh, I've always wanted to say that). That last line really packs a punch. I really, really like this one.
KirstenE chapter 8 . 6/10/2005
Now this is an original concept. I admi, it took me a minute to figure it out, and then I noticed the title (I'm a genius sometimes), and it all clicked. So I reread it again, just to be sure.

The only part I;m not so sure I like is this part:

Tongues like cats,They assail me like bats.

Again, my fickleness with rhymes. P
KirstenE chapter 7 . 6/10/2005
Beautiful. I know on your other poems I posted somewhat long-winded reviews, but on this one, I think that will suffice. Because this is one of my favorites.
KirstenE chapter 6 . 6/10/2005
353s used to actually be pretty popular.

I think people are turned off from writing them because it's so hard to fit meaning or substance into eleven syllables.

Yours, on the other hand, really impacted me. There are so many things I think you could possibly mean in this one poem, but more than likely none of them are what you had in mind. And, to be honest, that's what I think separates good poetry from poetry that makes people famous.
KirstenE chapter 5 . 6/10/2005
This isn't my favorite of yours (out of those that I've read), and I'll be honest why.

I think it seems a little forced. Maybe it's just my usual aversion to short lines that rhyme. I'm biased that way, I admit it.

I do really like this part though:

A senior criesThe three-legged beastStumbles and dies.

That part doesn't seem forced at all, and thus makes it much more powerful. I really, really, like that part.
KirstenE chapter 4 . 6/10/2005
I like the new version better.

It has a nice ring to it. Actually, it kind of reminds me of those rhymes you'd chant as a kid when doing patty-cake or hopskotch. Those old rhymes always tended to have a darker side to them anyway (heck, look at Ring Around the Rosie).

I like this one a lot, even though I don't normally like minimalistic poetry. I think your good choice of words and feeling are what made it a good piece.
34 | Page 1 .. Last Next »