Reviews for Doubts
Chattox chapter 1 . 8/19/2003
Well, if you think about death from a logical standpoint, the concept of there being "nothing" after death dosen't make sense, since there is no such thing as "nothing" in the universe as we know it. Even where there appears to be nothing, there is energy.

We know that after death, existance does not end. We do not just disappear. Our physical bodies go through a change in form, as does the the electrical current running through our brains. Electricity, after all is energy, which, like matter, cannot be destroyed, but only changed. And change it must, for that's what existance is based on: a continuing cycle of change.

This point brings us to the topic of eternity. By the very nature of existance, nothing can be in the same state eternally. It has to change in order to continue.

So what should all this mean? That death is not something to be feared; it is merely our physical (matter) and spiritual (energy) selves going through the change in form that keeps the cycle of existance moving. We can take comfort in knowing that we are an inexricable part of the endless, ever-shifting web of existance.

Now, this would all be well and good, except that it goes against the Christian concept of time, life, death, and existance in general. Christians view time as linear and stagnant; according to them, we live this life, die, and spend the rest of eternity in one state. Not to offend or insult practitioners of the Christian faith, but that view just dosen't make sense. In order for existance to continue, it must be ever-changing. So if you are truly to find peace of mind, it may-and I stress the word MAY-be neccessary for you to choose a different religious path, or make your own.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck and bright blessings.
morgaine11 chapter 1 . 5/23/2003
i think its great that you care share your opinions with others on the net. as to the topic of your doubts, i think its basic human instinct for ppl to fear death. everyone wonders if there is nothing, and there may be nothing. but one of the vital aspects of any religion is faith. faith in something bigger than yourself. to most people it gives them comfort. i think that it is sad that you no longer have your faith, though perhaps christianity simply isn't the right faith to believe in. but then again, maybe making peace with the fact that everyone dies is enough. maybe we don't need that blind faith.

who knows?

morgan
violets are blue chapter 1 . 5/21/2003
Here's a verse that may help you, it's helped me.

"What is faith? It is the confident assurance that what we hope for is going to happen. It is the evidence of things we cannot yet see."

Hebrews 11:1
Miyoko Toshi chapter 1 . 5/20/2003
cool.
chantal chapter 1 . 5/19/2003
hey, good writing..

but uknow i couldent let what u just said slip from my fingers.

uknow everyone at one point thinks that wat if there is no god? well look around u listen to your heart and read the gosple because it will not fail you.

is there a heaven? yes.. i believe there is and im not scared of death at all and neither should you... why? beacuse if you have faith give your heart to god there will defiently some thing at the end of the tunnel. pray and read the bible talk to people from your church they will so help you because there is a heaven its in the bible which every historian can tell you is true. jesus did die on the cross for our sins and went to heaven. theres proff that Jesus was here. on earth. and if he really was here. where did he go. to heaven and back to earth. we know because he rose again.

:) i'll pray 4 u (e-mail me if u wanna coz i can totally relate i went through it when i was 13 a few years ago)
Zapenstap chapter 1 . 5/18/2003
I really like this. "But it’s not even the idea of eternal bliss that makes me want to believe this. It’s the idea of eternal anything." That's really great. An atheist will tell you that you're just scared and weak and you should get the hell over it: death is the end. I think you should ask questions, and even if the answers are not what you expect, at least don't settle for an easy one. Real things are complicated. WHY do we want to live forever if there isn't a forever? That's what gets me. If we're just animals in an evolutionary cycle, why do we ask questions like this? I believe in spirit, or soul, or something other than matter that exists in the composition or psyche of a human being. And I believe in God. And I believe in Christ because that element of the equation makes sense in the purpose of life. Why why why. that's the question i like to ask. Why have a savior? why that way? why have it be somethign that is so hard to believe? Why do people believe other things? Why do we fight about it? It's not enough to say "you shouldn't believe it because you can't prove it or because you don't understand it" but you also shouldn't say "I believe it just because I do or because I was told to believe it." And you probably know that. But doubts are good. They help us grow. If you want an anti-church approach, try His Dark Materials. If you want philosophy, try Sophie's World. The connectedness and complication of things is what interests me. More learning, more feeling like I don't understand, more doubt leading to more possibilities. That's what I like. But anyway, it's a good little thing you've written. Honest. Poignant. Props.
nobodyuknow chapter 1 . 5/18/2003
you know, i've been having doubts about my religion, too. the only thing is i don't fear death...