Reviews for The Dubious Joys of Womanhood
Guest chapter 1 . 6/30/2012
I agree, some aspects of womanhood aren't very much fun. But I wouldn't want to be a man, by any means. We women get to be beautiful - dresses, jewelry, sexy lingerie, the whole lot. We get to be charming. And men adore us and protect us. I think that about makes up for all those times the aunt comes to visit.
Jessie Wulf chapter 1 . 4/5/2010
I'm sorry but.. Oh my God! I simply commend you for writing this! I love it. Its too true, all of it.

God, I hate my periods whenever I have them, and personally, I don't think I could stand being a woman back then. Hell, I already wish I was a man sometimes..

Well.. at least we get to bitch and moan at the men and complain on how they don't know real pain.
novea21 chapter 1 . 5/20/2009
LOVED IT! Lol, I made my fiance read this simply because it put in to words everything I wanted to convey to him while going through my monthly stint. But I do have to admit I'm feeling very grateful towards Proctor and Gamble these days...
cinderandsmoke chapter 1 . 1/2/2009
great i absolutly loved it i got my period when i was eleven and i was so emberissed that i didn't tell my mother for months damn menustration
Agony of Mind chapter 1 . 12/13/2006
OMG, you really put it out there. I hate periods! Although I don't really get all that embarrassed about the subject its just the cramps and uncomfortableness that you go through. And childbirth, don't even get me started!
Lady Katreina chapter 1 . 12/12/2006
Ha ha. Oh... yeah...

...

Hell yes. Good for you, although I'm not old enough to remember the slippery migrating loincloth pads. I know what you mean. Sheesh. (I hope you heal up soon with your arm, that has GOT to hurt.)
ThatReallyCoolGirl chapter 1 . 7/27/2005
AMEN.
hellokittychic31 chapter 1 . 5/14/2005
heh, this was so adorable! i liked it...

muchLUB-kerr
Angel of the Autumn Rose chapter 1 . 10/18/2004
Hey
Excellent way of putting it. I've never gone through childbirth (too young) but we watched a video of it in Science and everyone including the guys were going "ouch".
If only men knew what we go through. Wait...they do. Thanks to PE. But do they care? NO...well not all.
Thanks for writting this essay.
Anubis-Dragon-Kaede
SkyeHigh11 chapter 1 . 8/27/2004
Loved it! I was actually laughing out loud at some part (and recieving strange looks from my family around me) This is definitely something every female should read.
key to the lock chapter 1 . 5/31/2004
As I sit at my computer, I am currently suffering from an espesially bad period, in three hours, my pad has already overflowed! And yes, I agree on the subject of Tampax. I wore one during PE, and we had to do the stupid mile run! Ow! And what on earth do you do when you run out of pads, tampons and any toilet paper you dare use, and are unable to go to the store thanks to the fact that it is 5:10 in the morning, and you don't have a license, or any knowledge about driving. And I'm not walking to the nearest store when one of my male friends works this shift. AH!
Nightmare of nightmares. And waht if you spend the night at your Great Grandma's and she is the one who has to explain about periods while she soaks the red sheets you slept in, in cold water. Anybody know how that works, and mind giving me instructions? My underwear will be grateful. I hope guys will read this, so far all the reviews I've seen are from girls.
Socially Inept Kitchen Boy chapter 1 . 11/21/2003
I loved this. LOVED it. And I completely agree with all of it, though I've never had a problem with pads. I'm in the adhesive brand/tampon generation. But birth control-dear God, why? I'm not sure if everyone has these problems, but I act like a pregnant woman with raging hormones most of the time. I lose my temper quicker, I cry at the drop of a dime and I'm always craving something every month.

I loved the comedian bit. If only we all could phrase it that way, ey?
revived chapter 1 . 8/24/2003
I TOTALLY agree. If all the men could turn into women for a month (hell, a week), they would die. Besides, it's true that men die earlier (in general) and have lower pain tolerance. Isn't it ironic how girls are allowed to cry but guys aren't? And then all the crap about women being the "weaker" sex.

They never have to worry about stupid things like periods or pregnancy. Why did nature stick US with that job? When I asked my mom, she said, "Well, someone's got to do it." It only proves that God (if there is one) is a man.

Yup. I could go on and on. But I think you did a good job of summing up some of the worst points.

Eileen
Josee Poesee chapter 1 . 7/18/2003
Yeah I hate periods.. They bite major ass. I love what Carole Burnett said. I laughed quite a bit at that part.. but I have atleast another 10 years till that happens

*~* Dy *~*
PMS chapter 1 . 6/27/2003
Whaddya mean 3 days? Mine last at least 4 sometimes 5 days a month. There's no telling when it'll show its ugly face. It's either the beginning or the end of the month but you never can tell. I had my period during Spring Break once and i was like "Oh cool. I don't have to worry about taking this to school heh heh." And you know what happened exactly one week later when break was over with! JUST TO PISS ME OFF IT CAME BACK FOR TWO DAYS THEN WENT AWAY! And it started during class too. Then another time I was sitting on a table during a band practice, got up and whoopsie, "pad over flow" somebody call the national guard. Luckily only a couple sympathetic girls saw. Sheesh! You know for a while my period lasted 6-8 days a month? I was young and I THOUGHT IT WAS NORMAL! Next thing ya know there's blood in the urine and I was like "hmm, maybe I should go to the doctor." I don't know about you but I really don't feel comfortable telling a whole bunch of strange old men all about my monthly visitor. I swear it was like a f-ing menstration interrogation. "Hi, how's the period going?" "Oh its flowing along nicely. Just been off alot lately." (AND DON'T WE ALL LOVE) "Do you think that there's a chance you could be pregnant?" Hmm, must've happened in my sleep cuz I sure as hell don't know how it got there! But I'm nice and I tell them honestly. "No I'm a virgin" (DAMN PROUD OF IT TOO) plus at the time I was underage. Yes, I am a good lil girl, geez. But of course, I must be lying cuz "vigin teenagers" just don't exist in this world anymore and they tried to give me a pregnancy test without me knowing it. I knew something was up when they put that stethascope thingy on my stomach. I was like "can't fool me buster, I know what you're trying to pull." But back to periods, they suck and I hate it when guys immaturely laugh at the fact that all they have to worry about are prostate checkups and nothing else. That makes me so mad that sometimes I wish the Queen, Mistress, or Goddess (whoever) of Menostration would curse all men with cramps, bleeding, and a pain in their arse equal to childbirth. Oh, and what really pisses me off is when you're arguing with a guy and he says "oh, its that time of the month." Arg! They know you're embarrassed and for the first few seconds you're like stunned cuz you weren't expecting that, thus giving them the chance to walk away from the conversation feeling like the winner BECAUSE THATS ALL THEY GOT LEFT! Bunch of sissies. Alright I'm through PMSing for now. Thank you for writing this Scribe.