Reviews for United We Stand In Optimism
The 43rd Earl of Cranberry chapter 1 . 1/17/2005
I think that you are wrong, basically. Of course it is nice to be happy - most people prefer it to being sad - and of course it is good to look at things in a positive way. None of that is anything remotely revolutionary.

But the fact is, harsh and cynical as it may sound, depression and fear gives everyone other than the sufferers a lot of pleasure at times. Think about the number of poems here about heartbreak. Listen to the music of anyone from Robert Johnson to Kurt Cobain. These are pieces of art that stem from misery and suffering. And yet - they're quite good.

Nevermind that the proposition is unrealistic, which I accept is not the point. Nevermind the repetive fallaciousness of the consistent whineging appeals to authority. What I object to here is your insistence that we should all grin and pretend the world is a happy place. The Unites States was founded on principles of liberty: everyone should be able to believe what they want. Furthermore, you are adopting a very egocentric view. America should wallow in glee and pretend the slums of Nairobi will 'be alright'?

No. I do not like this essay. You prove nothing, say nothing, make nothing. The conflation of faith, hope, love, happiness, courage and determination with the bland, unseeing optimism grates. It is in dissenting opinions and the voice of caution that some of our boldest moves comes, and it is only through confronting and tackling our demons, not ignoring them, that we will overcome the problems the future will hold for us.
orangepen23 chapter 1 . 9/30/2004
It was a very powerful essay. I think that you have a point. I like it...
confusedpoet chapter 1 . 5/2/2004
"All American citizens have gone through a complicated situation in some point of their lives" Yet another American who thinks the world revolves around the United States are we? grow up!
Cherub of the Gutter chapter 1 . 1/6/2004
*raises eyebrow at above review* Okay, then... Optimism and happiness aren't always synonyms.
That really wasn't bad at all. I rather enjoyed it. *humming* Keep on the sunny side, always on the sunny side...
Anyway, nice work. This is Yrael, btw.
And remember - never smell your socks after gym class.
ku chapter 1 . 6/3/2003
Optimism? I've read hundreds of self-help books and they go on and on about being positive and optimistic. But just think about it carefully at night and you'll see that self-help books are really just self-deception books. Why force yourself to be happy when truly you are not? You talk about the US being united. That's sort of false optimism as well. It's nice to think of the US as a monolithic group composed of like-minded individuals. But look at images of earth from space and notice how there are no borders. Notice how America doesn't stick out as much as it did in your high school Atlas. Another example of self-deception. But without self-deception there'd be anarchy. Deception in the form of patriotism, religion, and even Santa Clause, keep people happy and in control.

Is it better to be deceived, yet happy, as a child who believe in Santa Clause is happy. Or is it better to understand the truth, which to most people is quite distressing. But once you know the truth, you're inovulated. Any attempt at self-deception is usually futile because you're already familar with the concept of systematic self-deception and if you try to fool yourself, at the back of your mind you will always doubt your own lies.