Reviews for A Coward's Wisdom
BoredSinceBirth chapter 17 . 5/28/2008
Wow.

That's pretty much all that I can say right now x).

This story is absolutely amazing, and I was completely drawn in.

I've been reading this all day, I can't get enough of it. This has to be one of - if not THE - best Regency I've ever read. There's just the right amount of characterization combined with the whole "mysteriousness" of the plot (and Carlton. *_*) to the point where I'm just racing along the chapters having to know what's going to happen next x).

But, I noticed that you're still revising it and all that good stuff.

I like the revisions better, suddenly reading this chapter, I noticed a huge style change. Not to say it's not any good, but I just prefer your new style :).

I want to learn what happens, because I feel just as confused as Jaques having to deal with Carlton's vagueness and all the drama.

But, I guess I can't yet, until the revised version gets put up. x(.

I can't really continue if I can't connect to the style as well, because it's just a sudden switch and if up to this point it's written one way, and now all the sudden another, I couldn't get used to it. x(.

So I was wondering if you're still currently rewriting it, or if I should sate my "OMGIMUSTREADON"-ness and keep going?

It says that the last update was in '04, but I've noticed it doesn't update if all you do is change things and re-upload.

Sorry, I'm incoherent right now. It's really late...or early, depending on how you look at it.

In short, I just really, absolutely loved this story (and Carlton *_*) and I hope you continue sharing your writing :)
V de V chapter 36 . 1/19/2007
What a sublimely beautiful story. I love it dearly. Everything-characters, setting, dialogue, description-is superb and very delightful to read. Why on earth are you rewriting it? But you probably have good reason, and I shall await its conclusion. But very excellent work. Brava, brava.
Jelei chapter 36 . 4/29/2006
if only i could write a review that befits such a lovely and thoughtful story, but as i lack the words i shall leave you with...wow!
happiness by the kilowatt chapter 36 . 1/30/2006
I am speechless. You write so, I don't know the word, I guess complete. This story is so full of everything. The emotion in it is incredible and I am sad that the story has finished. The completeness of the story is overwhelming. There's so much in it, not so much that it becomes hard to grasp but enough for it to be a story that has no holes in it that leaves the reader completely confused on something. I like that all your characters had a side that could be loved because even though I had little feeling for Carlton, I was terribly upset when he died. I don't really know how to get out what I want to say about 'A Coward's Wisdom' but only that it is a brilliant story and it deserves a place in bookshops. And the fact that you wrote a story with such depth when you were so young is amazing, it says a lot about you. You're definately my favourite writer on here. You write beautifully. So I thank you for writing and sharing the story of Jaques Cleon de Verie.
aims80 chapter 36 . 4/21/2005
Very, very enjoyable story. Congratulations.
The Babylonian Mystery chapter 36 . 5/11/2004
If i want to die i come and read your story. Yes, i have gone mad for what drives people mad. janell, through out the story you have shown a lot of improvement and what i see is that your story has become better and better instead of fading into nothing like other stories. Wow janell, you have workes so hard and stayed up late to truley achieve your goals which is to bring a perfect conclusion yet the end becomes the begining with way you end it. I saw good symblosim and very good describtion. Now you have to work on something else or elese i won't have anything to read no more and if iread anything i would better be wanting you to write. Just a joke. i will start reading but i reallty want you to continue your writing that brings things alive for me. OKey janell, lots of love and great work.
poohba chapter 36 . 5/11/2004
Wow. That was intense.
You really have a way of capturing Jaques despair and then, finally, his feelings of hope.
I'm so glad this ended happily - but a realistic happy - not an "ever after."
Michel was, once again, a wise voice in a time of trouble here. (I do love his character, and I don't think it has anything to do with "creating" him. You did most of the work on that. I think I would have liked his role in this story no matter what.)
For a while, it seemed like Jaques was almost turning into Carlton this chapter - that he was going to be a monster to Jacqui too. I'm glad that he straightened himself out (or SHE straightened him out, or Michel did. Somebody.)
You mentioned once wanting to publish this. I think it probably needs some revision first (as any story does.) As I was reading this chapter, I couldn't help but think - "I wonder how this story would go if it was told mainly from a third person nararator with Jaques voice just popping up from time to time in a journal entry or something." Sometimes Jaques, as a nararator, seems so detached, even from himself, that he almost is speaking in the third person. And then there are the occasional chapters NOT told from his perspective at all.
I don't know if that's something you'd have interest in doing in a revision or not, but it's a thought.
Anyway, woo. What a ride. I can't believe you and Faery Tragedy both finished your stories in the same week. What am I going to read now? Stay in touch, all right?
faery tragedy chapter 36 . 5/10/2004
WOW! Go you! I've been long-awaiting the conclusion of this for awhile, but absences makes the heart grow fonder! It seems like everything is wrapping up lately, season finales and end of stories, those type of things.
One of the most remarkable things I found about this chapter was how Jaques admits he loves Jacqui because he needs her, not beause he truly loves her. It's a fitting ending-bittersweet, poignant, memorable. The fight between them was typical and in-character. You write such dramatic prose. The atmosphere is wonderful, as is the ever-comforting Michel. He was always a favourite.
The conversation between Jaques and Michel is inspiring, and relates to the theme well. For a good portion of this story (epic, really), Jaques has been solemn, sorrowful, regretful. And her comes Michel with advice that readers can relate to our own lives. And as much as I'd like to believe this all took place-I know the message came from YOUR head, so I must thank you for such a deep theme.
All in all, you are an AMAZING writer, and I wouldn't be surprised to stroll into Border's one day and see your name on a paperback. Your piece was moving, intelligent, and dramatic. You have a gift of variety in words, depth in characters, and poetic prose. And I'd again like to mention the atmosphere-very Three Musketeer-ish. Thank you for such a wonderful read! I hope you'll start a new story soon!
*Faery Tragedy
passion101 chapter 36 . 5/10/2004
so...it's over? Sorry, i'm a bit confused, although it seems that way. If it is, I just wanna say thanks for putting so much time and devotion into this story. It truly has been an experience reading this. There were so many things that happened that it didn't even seem like the same story. And yet, you pulled it off and for that I am grateful. This story has truly been an adventure.
The Babylonian Mystery chapter 35 . 5/8/2004
Well, what do you want me to say. YOU ARE MAKING ME CRAZY AHA CRAZY I TELL YOU. THis is what i feel, and face it. You know you make me hate doing my home work in study blocks because all i want is to listen to you reading this wonderfull story. This was awesome. *weeps* the way you finish this, janell...i have not read a better way (i told u to not give it to calvin to finish it)kidding*winks*.
Oh my you know how to tourture others you know. YA, my favorite part is when jaques was not releaved when he saw jaquline alive. NO for real i like the part when carlton said that the building will be on fire and then Jaques is about to leave to see jaquiline and Carlton turned and asked Jaques to stay so they die togather. *crying* what a way to end it. You, you janell make me very inspired by your story and i love it.
love you and keep that good good very very and the best work up *takes a deep breath* (the end of the scene)
annchick1273 chapter 35 . 4/17/2004
wow. i jsut spent the entire day reading this. amazing story.
faery tragedy chapter 35 . 4/10/2004
Just like Poohba, I scrolled down and was overwhelmed by those two stupid words. Then I got all giddy and frustrated for scrolling down (because who reads a story's last sentence? There's just no thrill in reading it first!). Woohoo. Glad to know you are letting us know there is, indeed, one chapter after this. Gets me all frisky.
The first scene is devistatingly haunting. I can relate to it well; the neglect, the exile. You did an excellent job of setting the mood of this chapter. It's dark, full of panic and suspense. The repetition of "and the violin played on" brought a certain melodrama (a good melodrama) to the chapter.
Did you beforehand decide that Carlton would still live, or was this all a very spontaneous plot twist? And a jolly good plot twist it is! *wide grin*
I feel a pantload of sympathy for Carlton's...accusation? confession? You wrote the scene between him and Jaque with such eloquence. I am so envious of your talent to create such complex characters and dramatic scenes. Very wonderful.
Near the end, when Jaque talks to "the listener", there is a clear level of trust and comfort presented. I hadn't forgotten the first chapter/prolog where he also adresses the reader. Clever.
I can't really focus on one area of the chapter, like I normally do. Your most recent chapter has got to be one of your best. Emotions run high, there is an instant of more character development, a touch of mystery, and of course it's the thrilling climax. Bravo!
*Faery Tragedy
felcitious4u chapter 35 . 4/6/2004
Oh yeah, forgot to mention, dearie.
Poohba's right. The waltzes weren't around then. I read that book and the waltz was looked down on by the classes who were exposed to it. Then of course it was a novelty for those crazy enough to indulge.
::ponders::
I probably would have been one of those.
There was a type of dancing in France at that time, but it had its own names. It was more of the turning and joining of hands then parting. Then going in a circle while facing your partner, but not touching. It was all rather dodgy if you ask me. Dancing without touching sounds dreadful!::grins adorably::
Your narcisscistic (sp) friend.
Craig.
::blows a few more kisses::
felicitous4u chapter 35 . 4/6/2004
Well, bloody well sheep shit, Levy. This doesn't sound like the cheery you at all.
It screams like its been written by someone like Calvin or something. The first scene was rather dark and depressing and ::gasp:: so was the second!
It really actually frightened me. It isn't fair that the one night I'm sitting here without Ty here and its dark and stormy, I should read this and find myself huddled under a blanket and hearing bloody violins!
You bloody well hit the wool on the kettle past blue derry fell! It's depressing.
You're making me speak gaelic! I never speak gaelic.
::sigh:: I liked it, I really did and keep up the writing. I've always loved that you write cuz now I've got something to read al the time.
By the way, I went over to Tina's...Calvin was there...again! Do you know what he did? He threw a strawberry at me and called me a flaming ac/dc for "supposedly"hitting on Tina. I gave her flowers for the baby! Damn him!
He was probably just jealous that the flowers weren't for him. I'll bring him red roses next time and see what he says.
I am not an ac/dc! Am I?
::weeps::
I'M NOT! I'M NOT! I'M NOT!
I'm a one way gay man and I'm proud. Who isn't nowadays though?
::looks at all the disapointed faces::
Sorry, girls, but I don't butter my bread that way.
::blows kisses and throws strawberries::
sinbadthegreat chapter 1 . 4/6/2004
wow this is a great start. i really think you should keep going.
240 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »