Reviews for The Valley
ConfuzzledAtLife chapter 1 . 9/14/2008
Geez, that was pretty intense after the mouse story! Is it based on any particular war? It reminds me a bit of the red poppy thing from World War 1.

I'm not very good at reading, writing or analyzing poetry. It's the one thing in English I always fail, so I'm not going to offer any in-depth response. I just find poetry really difficult to get my head around. Always have, probably always will.

My poetry aversions aside, as a story, it was really good. Kind of mysterious, with the silver cloud that I find so hard to see a lot of the time. It reminds me of everyone's lives on the whole planet. We have to study hard so our lives, and our kids' lives, will be something better. Course, it's not as dramatic, but still.

Thanks heaps for writing!
paddington chapter 1 . 1/9/2007
wow
AnimeArrow chapter 1 . 8/11/2004
Wow. What makes your writing so good is not only how it is worded, but the things you talk about. I'm sure your writing has inspired a lot of people. It's beautiful. Keep up the good work! :P
Piscean Illusions chapter 1 . 6/16/2004
Powerful. Impacts with so much. It's transforming. Wonderfully written and executed.
Erys chapter 1 . 6/20/2003
Wow, i really like this poem. Especially the end when you write " so this bloody battlefield will someday be that peaceful valley." Keep writing. :)

Faer
Jade6 chapter 1 . 6/19/2003
Hey,

Thanks so much for your email letting me know you posted this. I meant it when I said poetry was my first love and I love trying to analyse poetry for its hidden meanings, which I am now going to do with this one.

This is tragic. I mean in the midst of all this fighting and death, your soldiers are offered this haven, this place of beauty and peace, and their minds cannot comprehend that gift, cannot accept that sanctuary. I cannot fathom whether this is simply because they cannot understand a life without war, or if they are simply so selfless that they are ready to keep fighting for the perfect idealized world where the entire earth is the valley of mist. Either way this poem projects a certain doomed tragedy. I liked it.

I loved the lines:

“But, wait. That can’t be here.

That is a time and place far from now.

That is a dream of coming years.”

Very sad that peace should be but a dream from a time that they cannot even guess at. A very powerful piece and I hope that you post more poetry again soon... as soon as you have the time that is, lol.

Till then!