Reviews for The English Roses: Sins of the mothers
arwa chapter 1 . 12/30/2012
Until the very last chapter, I believed that somehow you were preparing a sad ending for Adam, and that's what happened (sadly).

I knew that it was fair enough for someone like Adam.
But still, there were times when there were hints of kindness in his words and actions. (don't be like that, Nellie).
I know I wanted Nellie to end up with Robert, but not in that sad way.
I think Adam's type of person really interests me.
People who are ashamed to behave in a kind way, people who've been spoiled from the day they were born, and people who're cowards when it comes to confessing their feelingsā€¦
I think Adam's personality reminds me of people whom I know.
You did very well in Adam's character!
I found the note that he left for Nellie heartbreakingā€¦ I even cried.

And when it comes to Nellie.. I don't really know what I think about her.. I liked her pride!

As for Robert, I think he's too perfect to be real!

When Adam died, I thought Georgina killed him! Because she thought she was going to inherit his stuff.

I liked your story.. I really enjoyed reading it..
Yet it reminded me of Jane Eyre so much!
As well as (la portsuse de pain) I wrote the french name, since I don know what's it called in the English version .
Anyway, your story reminded me of those sad novels because they are both historical, obviously, and they both tell the story of a woman.. and much more.

I must say, this is the longest review I've ever written!

- Arooti/arwa.
arwa chapter 17 . 12/28/2012
Nice chapter ! It's crazy if you intend to make her fall in love with Adam !
I prefer Robert ;)
But I am sure its Adam
I don't now how but she well like him ...
And me ( even crazier ) I believe he loves her .. In his very shit own way
Also about the child ... Poor Nell :(

And I believe Nell's mother loves her in a way

Love ur story even more
Guest chapter 2 . 12/28/2012
How it comes that your sorry got no awesome reaction !
It's pretty good story ...
Arooti chapter 1 . 12/28/2012
Nice title !
And the first chapter is interesting too ...
Arooti chapter 4 . 12/27/2012
I don't think she will succeed in her plan :(
I liked the story and how the plot is going
But it's kind of going too slow which makes me want to skip some lines

I really liked your story , and I would like to read it in one session !
But it's no possible to do so since I have exams
( were I am into anything except for studying )
One more thing : I intend to buy it from
It's nicer to read as a book .
Guest chapter 1 . 6/29/2012
Interesting beginning. I think I'll like this story, although I hate Nellie's mother.
C.S. Johnson chapter 35 . 6/19/2012
Wait, what? Lizzie is only a year and two months older than Mark? But she was two and a half years when those two kids were teasing her, before Adam and Nellie got married.
oktober charm chapter 52 . 10/20/2010
I realize that you wrote this story years ago, but I was absolutely captivated by it. It has been a long time since I began reading something I was so engaged in I needed to stay up until three in the morning to finish and know what happens. Normally, reading stories online, I tend to section them off simply as stories online as opposed to books, which I section off separately in my mind; however, in your case, you had a strong crossover and there is no doubt that this could pass off as a book. Despite most online writers having decent plots, yours was so well developed as were your characters who were realistic and you even managed to end it charmingly, not abrupt as many do. The smooth progression of the entire thing is exactly why for me it was closer to reading a book than it was reading another story online. Truly amazed.
Doodlezr1 chapter 51 . 5/24/2010
I have to congragulate you on this story it was very very VERY good! I absolutly love this time period, and I would have never thought of a seris of events like this one, bravo! There were some things that bugged me just a little bit. when Lizzie was two you had Nellie bump into Robert again and they mention the dinner which he said was a few nights ago when according to the timeline would have been two years before. Also the las chapter you put the date at 1890 then you mention that Adam had died just a few days before but the last time you have put the date it had been 1880 so in reality Adam's death would have been ten years before and judging by the writing I don't think ten years had past in the chapters leading up to Adam's death. Just a couple of incosistances I noticed and thought I should say but all in all this was a very good story and it deffently kept me guessing and I think that is a very good quality for a story.
LeenElle chapter 2 . 9/14/2008
A good look into the reality of Nellie's life. Interesting to see her neighbors reactions to her. I'm looking forward to seeing where Nellie's story goes from here!
LeenElle chapter 1 . 9/10/2008
I know this has been finished for a while...but I wanted to read it from the start...and I always like to say what I think when I read something on fictionpress. SO! I really liked the start of this, I like how you present the characters and I already have a feel for both Nellie and her mother. I am definitely interested to see what becomes of Nellie. Just a couple things. First, I am guessing you mean Nellie's mother to have a cockney accent? Seeing as she's from the lower class in London? The only think I couldn't quite connect was the use of ye's in a lot of your dialogue. I found them to resound in my head more like old English. Maybe a yeh, instead would make it read more cockney in my head. Also, I would think it very unusual that Nellie was able to read, coming from the background that she does. Only the upper classes could read. Perhaps there is an explanation for her ability to read that comes later, in which case...forget I said anything :) I wish I had time to read more tonight but...I don't, I'll be back though, promise!
Suzanne chapter 52 . 5/3/2008
Wow, what a wonderfull story, you made me cry and lauh at the same time, a wonderful plot with a great ending. It is a very long story and I would love to read it as a real novel, not just online. You have a real talent for writing so keep writing.

I will defentely read more of your stories and I hope they will be just as good!

Suzanne
writtenwordsaremagic chapter 52 . 4/21/2008
In reply to the afterword: yes, I enjoyed reading "Nellie" a lot. I enjoyed every bit of your story, and when the ending loomed nearer, I was at first happy then sad to see her tale end. However, I think Nellie is probably about the best story I've read on fanfiction yet. You didn't skimp on details. You told me so many details of Nellie's life/thoughts, I found myself in her shoes. She wasn't a separate Nellie, doing things and seeing things. I was with her...in a way.

I somehow knew that was what was going to happen..on the chapter where Adam went out for the last time with Georgina. It was nevertheless, a sad part to read. And when you revealed his feelings through the letter...that was a surprising part I didn't expect to see.

Thank you so much for writing this! ;)

Merry
writtenwordsaremagic chapter 42 . 4/18/2008
On Chapter 42 now...

These past few chapters I've read have so much more action than any other chapter in the story (in my opinion)! It's so good and totally flawless! I wonder what will come about with Adam's affair with Georgina? For some reason I can not see him doing anything dishonorable. I mean, yes, he is a cruel figure, but it'll just be so wrong if he ignored Nellie like that! Surely he must have some feelings for her? After their eight years together?

Your story is so excellent... and I'm dreading though also anticipating the day I'll finish it. Most of all, I wanna know what the ending's going to be like.

That's it for now.

Good luck! ;)

Merry
writtenwordsaremagic chapter 13 . 4/8/2008
I just thought it was pretty cool how today is April 8th, 2008 and the last time you updated this story was April 8th, 2005. Three years... 0.o Anyhow, I've been reading away on your story and finally got to Chapter Twenty-Two. Just dropping by to say how awesome it is. Since you've been leaving notes about Robert, I'm wondering what role he'll play.
340 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »