Reviews for The English Roses: Sins of the mothers
HPuni101 chapter 51 . 4/23
Glad she ended up with Robert but it would have been nice to see more of a glimpse into the future now that her life is a happier one. I forgot to mention in the last review that the only decent thing I think Adam ever did was to leave her and the children everything (except what he left for Robert) and give her an explanation (even though I didn't believe him when he said he eventually respected her)..so glad Georgiana got what she deserved and that Mrs Benson was being replaced along with Mr Richards retirement. Hope that she did end up living in Roberts home while maintaining the other Hamilton family estates from a distance (so they can be passed down to the children)...if I were her I definitely wouldn't want to remain in that house and it only makes sense to reside at Roberts home. I also hope that Lizzie and the rest fights their way to have more education and a job that they enjoy. Also that the children know the truth and admire their mother for her strength and sacrifices.

Overall a well-written work with interesting characters (although there were still some minor errors here and there)...the only other thing which I meant to comment on earlier was that some of the language used did seem too modern for that time period. I liked and admired Nellie's character; the only thing I thought, was that given how she was treated, her thoughts weren't explored too deeply...especially with what happened with Adam.

Thank you for sharing this story. Will see if you have any others on this site. Best wishes.
HPuni101 chapter 49 . 4/23
Karma found him in the end then. Glad that he's gone for good (don't feel sorry at all, he was a despicable human being and never treated her - or anyone else - with any respect...not even towards the end despite what he has said) and that Nellie never fell in love with her tormentor...hope that she will only be sad for the children, and that she and the children leave that damn house as it has been more of a prison than a home for her...now she's free to do so and never look back. I hope she marries Robert (dismisses Mrs Benson and retires Mr Richards, but keeps the rest of the staff) and is able to make a home and life with him. I wonder if she'll hear from Angus again. I just wanted to slap Georgiana (Nellie should have thrown her out when she invited herself in) god the nerve of that woman and just as cruel, self-centred and delusional as Jenny was. Most of the women (and some of the men) in this story I have despised and I've felt so sorry for Nellie for what she has had to endure but glad that she has stood up for herself. Still holding out for the rest of the happily ever after.
HPuni101 chapter 32 . 4/23
I think in the last chapter you wrote that Jenny had been promoted to house maid and they just needed to replace someone in the kitchens but here Jenny's still in the kitchens... Either way she would still be unbearable, since she didn't 'get Adam' and people would quit (at least Nellie didn't dismiss them like others might have). Poor Lizzie will probably still be miserable...Adam probably will never love her and as she gets older she'll see that no love exists between her parents (I hope that Nellie still tells her the truth)...also she was born before marriage which I imagine will circle around as well as Nellie's background. Hope things turn happier. Speaking of poor Angus...and damn Jenny.
HPuni101 chapter 31 . 4/23
I understand that she's doing this for her daughters happiness and future but I was hoping that she wouldn't end up with Adam. I'm still holding out for a happily ever after. I'm now worried about the mother, step father and even adam though, they could very easily destroy her and Lizzie. I'm still shipping her with either Robert or Angus. These bloody snobby frivolous rich women I just want to slap lol...get over yourselves. Also love how she handled informing the staff...something tells me that she won't dismiss them despite how they treated her..since she knows how hard it will be to find work without good references etc...maybe that'll change some attitudes. Still hoping for a twist though and a saviour.
HPuni101 chapter 27 . 4/23
Poor child. Lizzie will be miserable if they stay. At least Nellie has a few decent, supportive people in her life...still hoping karma finds the rest. Jenny is a nasty piece of work and delusional...Adam would just do to her what he's done to Nellie... except Jenny probably won't have anyone to help her with the way she is and has treated people. Love how Nellie has stood up for herself and her daughter. What always makes me angry in these period stories is how frivolous the nobility/ rich are...women don't have much way in the world either way but most rich women always seem ungrateful and don't realise that there are thousands worse off...love her speech to the mistress. Go Nellie. Looking forward to her hopefully leaving this house behind.
HPuni101 chapter 20 . 4/23
Adam's back faster than anticipated. Still hope she somehow makes it elsewhere.
HPuni101 chapter 17 . 4/23
Oh dear. I forgot to mention in the last review that I was worried this would happen...Really hoping that she encounters Robert again and he takes care of her and her child (also hope he gives Adam a beating)...or someone else that will help. At least she has some coin with her. Glad that the mistress was kind enough to give her a reference...hopefully she doesn't see Adam again. I love that she's a survivor. Looking forward to more.
HPuni101 chapter 13 . 4/23
Good story. Few minor mistakes here and there (particularly with the character names being mixed up occasionally) but otherwise well-written. Feel for Nellie..I hope karma finds her mother and Adam and that she gets a better life. I wonder what's up with Mr Richards and the other strange servants (I keep thinking that maybe Mrs Mcguire was able to sneak someone in and help her but that's probably not it). Other thing I thought her 'bond' was only for a year but she's been there for much longer. I did also wonder earlier how she learnt to speak so well considering her circumstances. Hoping this new man is good and aids her somehow. Looking forward to more.
liz chapter 8 . 3/21/2016
This is a nice story. Did you know that you mixed up Annie and Nellie in this chapter? There was the wrong name in the part where Adam has asked to see her.
Nice job never the less.
Chris594 chapter 52 . 12/8/2015
This book is amazing. You have a certain way of developing your characters and the story, making it seem realistic and unrushed that is wonderful and shows your maturity as a writer. I hope you got this published.
Chris594 chapter 44 . 12/8/2015
Its always sad when old friends have changed so much that its had to remember who they used to be.
Chris594 chapter 30 . 12/4/2015
Would Elizabeth Hamilton be happy having a father such as Adam?
Chris594 chapter 29 . 12/4/2015
This has gotten even more scary.
Chris594 chapter 27 . 12/4/2015
Jenny deserves a kiss... On the a crocodile.
Chris594 chapter 21 . 12/3/2015
I thought she and Angus were related.
359 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »