Reviews for Why I used to cut myself
Dana chapter 2 . 5/29/2007
I really liked how you came out with this story. But, I don't really see you doing it for all those cutters or their family or friends. To me, it seems like a way for you to just explain your cutting because you've always wanted to speak up about, say why, but never did. You would be judged by people, so you could never actually say why you did it, but you had that underlying want to just scream it out. You wanted someone to know the real reason, to be helped in that way, but all you did was continue to cut and cut, and because of the fear of you being lost, your mother sent you to get help. When you were there, did you ever once say why you did this to them?

I have a feeling that this was your way of saying "I'm done, I'm through, I'm never doing this again," because when you speak these words of awful truth, you get replies. You see that you yourself are not alone in the fact of your reason and you understand that it was never really hard to reach out yourself. You wrote this on a website with a penname, because at first, you must've been scared. It's still your own person, and it's still something very personal to you and held close, but you wanted to speak out. So, you spoke out where few knew you well, but anyone could read.

I don't believe that this was written for your cutting. I think it was written for you. But, in turn, it helped those. Those people that suffered from the same issure for so long read this and realized things about themselves that will never disappear.

I could be wrong of course, seeing as I really do nothing of you. But, this is what it would appear to be for the general person. Or, at least, to me this is what the story speaks.

I'm sorry you had to go through such troubles, that you found cutting to be the only escape. It's always sad when all you can do is cut; when that's the only answer you can find in your head.

Now, you must realize, there were other ways to get help. There always are.

And hiding them under the watch... If that was your way of getting help and digging yourself out, why are you ashamed of them?

It's a nice story. Very natural and real. Very interesting. Keep writing if you wish. But, know who your audience is. Yourself or the people actually reading this?

-Dana
swoas chapter 2 . 8/5/2006
I really noe wat u went through, I'm telling u pretty much exactly as u had written w/ the mother just telling me to get over it and some of the tests and the anxiety disorder turning into depression w/ psychotic features. The only difference from what u wrote is that I went through this to a bigger extreme. I had major depression. I had a major anxiety disorder for years and years before I was diagnosed and I did try to commite suicide & instead of an outpatient program which I am still traumatized to this day about & I honestly mean truamatized not just using the phrase. The point I'm trying to make here is not that I want pity or something like that it's that I want you to know that there's ppl that can relate & that no matter how bad off you think you are there is someone always worse. I know ppl who have it worse than me so never pity yourself because I think thats one of the worst things you can do. Sry to preach so much to you. I'm really lyking the story. Once again sry 4 the preaching.
HunterAlexanderG chapter 1 . 6/3/2005
This was a great thing. Would you mind if I took your idea and created a story about why I cut myself? I think that this is a way to get your problems out without your parents needing to know about it. I love this concept and would like it if you e-mailed me.

-Izzy G
Nothing chapter 2 . 8/18/2004
I enjoyed reading this. It makes me think. I'm not a cutter, other people might consider me one if they found out what I do but I don't think I am one. I have only told one person about my habits and I hardly knew her so it felt like less... of a committment.
You might think I'm a freak, or something, because I only cut myself to draw blood. I like the was it looks, I like the way it tastes, I like how it is wark against my lips. I have been diagnosed with mild depression and I only cut at times when I feel lost, but I don't think that I am a cutter.
I don't know why I am telling you this but no one knows and I like to tell people how I feel. However, if I were to tell anyone in person, they would do something rash. I don't see the problem in what I'm doing, I don't slit my wrists so it isn't much blood, I don't think that I have a problem. It's just something that I do. We all have habits.
Kisona Kenoh chapter 1 . 8/17/2004
Life is difacult. It is all a matter of time for some people, I'm just glad that my best friend and cousin got help like you did. Your story is great, all of them are, keep writing.
Myogenic chapter 2 . 7/19/2004
I'm actually shaking from reading that. It's really brave and considerate of you to put your story on here for people to see. Hopefully it will help people understand their friends if they cut
bethlee chapter 2 . 7/10/2004
i can totally relate except for the fact that my mom doesnt know about my cutting and my friends were my counselors and i quit for 3 months then things got bad again and i started again and thanks for the thing on anxiety that miht be my problem
Nutty red head 2 lazy 2 sign in chapter 2 . 12/26/2003
all i can say is wow! it's so deep
i know it isn't any of my biz but r u still doing this and if so plz stop! i mean it as it will ruin ur life! one thing i relied after the first (and i think the only time) i slef harmed it only stops the pain 4 one second then it's 10 times worse!
find sum1 to talk 2 and remeber you're brillant 4 who u r and u never need 2 do that!
Lauren K chapter 2 . 8/8/2003
This is still really intense. Please email me at when you update.

~Kiara
BoPress chapter 1 . 8/4/2003
This was helpful. i kind of feel like i might spend time now writing about my own experience, which says that you are inspirational. thankyou.
Xi chapter 2 . 8/3/2003
hm but you were raelly lucky to get help for a period of time... even if it were a short period of time... ahh u get the picture...

-Mandazz
Gori chapter 1 . 8/3/2003
Wow, made me look at the scars at my arms I normally ignore.

Good thing somebody wrote about it, it makes other people think and maybe it can help at least a little.
Lauren K chapter 1 . 8/3/2003
Wow, this is a really powerful story. I think it was good that you could share what happened to you to the world. No one should have to cut themselves to get help. Even if you weren't planning on committing suicide, if you cut yourself then you need to get help ASAP. I hope this tells people that they can get better, but not by themselves. I know a girl who used to cut herself, and she's better but she still has scars halfway up her arm.

~Kiara
Xi chapter 1 . 8/3/2003
It is true that everyone has different reasons for cutting... not to mention, there are different effects of cutting upon people... i know...

anyway, i like how you wanted to tell people about your reason...it scares me to think back to that time...*shivers* BUT... i know how you felt w/ur mom though...

I'd like to see where this goes...good job!
gemini-dc chapter 1 . 8/3/2003