Reviews for Christian Nation
January Gray chapter 1 . 12/30/2006
This reminds me quite a lot of a lecture one of my professors gave on National Constitution Day (or something along those lines). I agree completely and usually can't help but smirk when my insane aunt starts talking about this "Christian Nation" of ours. Nice work, a bit heavy on the quotes, but its still making me smirk.
Stylo chapter 1 . 4/24/2006
Hear, hear.

I'd say "Amen" instead, but that would just go against the entire essay.

Your essay, gramatically, is excellent. I can also say that I agree with the majority of your points. You certainly have the facts to base them on, and the quotes. I commend you on that.

I hate religious zealots...irrespective of the religion.

Excellent essay.

Good job.

I agree. In this day and age, deism is the way.

*Bambam*
Ti chapter 1 . 3/8/2006
Just read this and I dont know if your views are the same. I understand your point and agree with the seperation of church and state. However, the undercurrent of "religious hatred" stops this from being a logical arguement. It reads as if founded on your own prejudices against religion rather than reason and the overuse of quotes do not really help the essay. Grammatically, it reads well.
Alankria chapter 1 . 10/25/2005
Yes. Shove that up your arse, Bible Belt wackos.

*cough* I think I've already commented to you, but my anti-religion feelings just keep getting stronger. Anyways, this Deism seems like the definite way to go, if you're gonna believe in God. Good essay.
Arej chapter 1 . 9/24/2005
Thank you. That's all I have to say.

*Not really, but that's the gist of it*

For once I see that I am not alone here. This country *today* is a hyposcrisy- they claim they will not force religion yet those in public shools or any handling money is subjected to it. Inch Mile. If a religion, or a non-religious group under these same beliefs as you have outlined, allows this to go on, the government *or the rulers, not necessarily the government itself* demand more. A year or so ago there was a big fight in Southern Florida because they wanted to put "In God We Trust" banners in the public libraries. Inch Mile. If anyone not Christian gives an inch on these things, Chirstianity demands a mile. (No offense to Christianity.)

So, thank you. I wish more people would get this concept.

BB- Arej
Mbwun chapter 1 . 7/7/2004
Quite an interesting essay I got sucked into here... dammit, now I have to go to work. Thanks for making me late.:)

He Who Walks On All Fours
Hedgistar chapter 1 . 1/23/2004
Like Raekwon, I understand the point of your essay. And I frankly do agree. Unlike Raekwon, the evidance you used by those quotes are perfect. Opinions they may be, but these are the living breathing words of people AT THAT TIME. And he's not appealing to authority either, he's just showing us how back then the idea of a church and state seperation was prevelent becuase the church was seen as a "prision" of sorts to these men.
Jave, I don't think the message was fully conveyed as expertly as it should have. It should be better to go with a thesis that says: "The United States of America was not intended to be a Christian Nation" Similar line of topic, different approch.
The United States can be also said to be found by Masonic ideals of brotherhood and fraternity (people should check that some major players in the Constitution were also Masons)
And to refer to Poinjard, his examples of the Inquisition, the Salem Witch hunts, and Islamic terrorism are not sensationalism. AND THEY REINFORCE THE POINT. The cause of fighting one's enemies is a prime motivation for groups of people. And religion does stir that up, constantly.
Jave has perfect examples of historic consequences of brutality brought about by religion. Here's some more examples: The persecution of peasents by German nobility after the rise of Lutheranism, the violence in Northern Ireland, or the persecution of Catholics by the English. The fighting in Bosnia years ago. I'll step off my soapbox.
This was very good.
A pleasure,
Hedgistar
Imaginary Player chapter 1 . 9/8/2003
I understand the point of you essay, but I don't think that you supported it in exactly the right way.

Your point that America is not a strictly Christian nation is well taken, but using the Constitution as a platform to support your argument does nothing to help; your quotes of others are really just their opinions, not solid facts, so they really don't help, either.

Anyway, I still agree with you, just not with how you got there.
Poiniard chapter 1 . 9/5/2003
Calling up the spectre of The Spanish Inquisition, the Salem witch hunts, and Islamic terrorism is just sensationalism. It does nothing to reinforce your point.

You made a good effort towards demonstrating that certain key founding fathers were opposed to the established religions of their day. I'm sure this is just as true of our leaders today.

Saying the U.S. is not a religious country is wishful thinking. I don't know the actual number, but I'm sure well over half of the population belongs to a church or practices a religion. That's why so many "religious traditions" have been inserted into public life- because a majority of the people hold these views.

Religious persecution in the U.S. is generally not state-sponsored, unless it conflicts with the moral views of a substantial number of people. Most of modern western morals are based on Judeo-Christian principles. This includes the reverence towards the Ten Commandments and opposition to same-sex marriage.

The separation of church and state can be used as a form of religious persecution against the majority. This nebulous phrase can just as easily be used to restrain a Christian's right to worship or express his beliefs.

As far as grammar, spelling and usage goes, this essay was very good.