Reviews for Opinions equal government control
Errant Wanderer chapter 1 . 11/5/2003
So the basic concept is... we shouldn't have our own opinions because if we do, we're being led to them? Which is an opinion in and of itself. Meaning that, apparently, the government has led you to the opinion that they control your opinions.

I think there's a bit of logical disconnect there.

Also, consider this: if we don't have opinions, then we don't think for ourselves. And if we do have opinions, according to you, we're not thinking for ourselves because we're being led to them. So this is apparently a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" scenario.

If someone has an opinion that I disagree with, and I am induced to argue with them, then how is that calming us? I might become so agitated as to lead a quasi-jihad against them, which, apparently, isn't what the government is going for, here. Meaning that the opinion they're causing me to hold is at conflict with the opinions others are caused to hold. So the government now has contradicting ideals?

Because, otherwise, we'd all believe the same way, which, apparently, we don't. I certainly disagree with a great majority of my peers (and elders, and youngers); how does this arise from the government?

I think your idea needs a little bit more thought. Apparently you won't give it said thought, though, because the government wouldn't want the discoverer of its secret methods to focus her attention on them. And they shape your opinions, which shape your actions, right?

Bear in mind I'm just working off of what you gave me, so if anything seems a little absurd...

Side note: You turned this in for a reponse to a prompt? I find myself curious as to the outcome.
noclipgod25 chapter 1 . 10/22/2003
I would just like to post this in response to the reviews I have received regarding my work. First of all, I am not 'bitching about the government' as author "C Shot seems to believe. This was just and only IS a response to a quote that I wrote in an English class. It has nothing to do with how the government is run.

In addition, I would like to inform author "Tiefling" that opinions do indeed 'calm down the public' because the public then feels assured that what they are voicing is being taken into consideration.

Also, what I have been stating was not read correctly, it may be because I have not written it clearly enough or that you (by this I mean anyone who reads and comments on this) has not fully understood what I have been saying.

In this small essay, the focus point has been the fact that the 'government' leads the public on a string. That opinions are nothing more than spoon fed ideas that the public is meant to believe that it was they themselves who have thought of these certain ideas.

This is not 'anti-government paranoia', nor is it "cynicism [...] ('no one is listnening so I might as well not even try')" It is merely my response to a simple quote. If this has offended you in anyway, then DON'T READ IT. No one is forcing you to accept this as truth.

Your comments have been recorded and are greatly appreciated. Hopefully we will not have such discord in the future.
C Shot chapter 1 . 10/21/2003
I am sick of people always bitching about the government,get something to do or shove a pull up your ass

C Shot
Tiefling chapter 1 . 10/20/2003
An opinion doesn't 'calm down the public'. An opinion doesn't do anything by itself. Being allowed to express their opinions might, but you are wrong in your assumption that the opinions of the public are never really listened to and taken into consideration by the government, and that all protest is useless. Civil disobedience has acomplished many *great* things over the years (look at Gandhi's independance movement in India, or the Bus Boycott). It is cynicism like yours ('no one is listnening so I might as well not even try') which allows people to be easily controlled.

What's with all this anti-government paranoia anyway? It's not some powerful evil force. It's just a bunch of people. People YOU get to elect (unless you're too jaded to even vote, in which case you deserve what you get).
Ghost in the Machine chapter 1 . 9/4/2003
I think you overwrote your response.

I would have just gone with "Go f* yourself."