Reviews for Why Infinity Plus Two Doesn't Equal Infinity
iammealso-juliecranford chapter 5 . 11/28/2003
That's interesting.
Ghost in the Machine chapter 5 . 11/27/2003
I'm going to have to get sloppy here because the system here edit any triple repititions of characters.

Tiny little problem with this.

.9(infinite repeat) is a meaningless concept.

.1(inf) 1/9

1/9 * 9 1, not .9(inf)

(And by the way, for anyone who cares, the theorectical fallacy of Xeno's paradox is that an infinite series of additions can still have a finite result.

The practical fallacy of Xeno's paradox is that once you get down to quantum time at 10 to -43rd seconds, you can't measure any smaller. At one quantum of time the tortoise will be ahead and at the next, he won't. You can't divide time any smaller to keep the tortoise in the lead.)
Ghost in the Machine chapter 3 . 11/27/2003
Suggested reading for the peanut gallery: "All the Myriad Ways" by Larry Niven.

(I've a suspicion that the author already has read this.)
Ghost in the Machine chapter 2 . 11/27/2003
Might I suggest you read "Flatland" by Edwin Abbott and the follow up "Sphereland" by Dionys Burger.

Mind you, you do make a good point about the arbitrariness of moving a zero dimensional point to create a one dimensional line segment.

However, a fairly decent approximation of a four dimensional object can be made with K'nex or similar building toys. You should try it some time.
kalariah chapter 5 . 11/26/2003
Ahh... the only way I'll be able to read through this (and more chapters; I'm too lazy to review the previous four) is if I pretend (?) you're not being serious about it all... although I do agree that 0.99... is NOT equal to 1. There's just no way. But anyway, your style of writing made me laugh; I don't know if it was supposed to, but somehow I found it humorous. Great job.
Yumi-Hitomi chapter 5 . 11/26/2003
Nicely wrapped up ... I'm glad that somebody has finally realized that .9 really doesn't equal 1 besides myself ... I should show this stuff to my Geometry teacher ... he'd shoot himself after that ...

Yumi-Hitomi chapter 4 . 11/26/2003
Quite humorous ... I hope that's all it was supposed to be ... because I didn't get too much out of it except a lot of laughs and that the U.S. should be under the Metric System by now.

Yumi-Hitomi chapter 3 . 11/26/2003
You are one smart cookie. I've never sat down to just ponder on something like this, but if I did, I highly doubt I'd come up with something like this! Continuing to read ...

Yumi-Hitomi chapter 2 . 11/26/2003
I'm going to send a review for every chapter of this. This is excellent, and I can see your love ... or well I don't know, maybe hate of Math ... or the low level of comprehension of humans. Moving on ...

Yumi-Hitomi chapter 1 . 11/26/2003
Well, I must admitt, I never thought I'd come across another person on the face of the earth that would discuss, in detail with examples, why infinity plus two does not equal infinity. Such an abstract and almost controversial topic leaves most people confused, but I love trying to reason about these kinds of weird quirks of our universe. And I must say, very well done. It was excellent, and I completely understood it ... stop laughing at me ... no seriously! ... I meant it, it all made sense! ... fine ...

jasminejaguars chapter 4 . 11/26/2003
you forgot Canada! Canada is already using the metric system and has been for a least a good five years! Mission completed! Yeah Canada!
jasminejaguars chapter 3 . 11/15/2003
How do you came up with this...its crazy, but good at the same time..
Saltwater chapter 4 . 10/24/2003
huh? okaay...that was confusing. what were you trying to tell us?

i dunno, something about metric rulers, who cares. it sounds like maths to me

hey! who asked you?... sorry, thats my imaginary friend, maria.

HEY! i am *not* imaginary! if im imaginary, then i dont exsist, and if i dont exsist, then i am infinity!

umm...i dont think so

yeess, you go on thinking that

*rolls eyes*

besides, that was a stupid chapter cause it was about maths

what the dell do you think the rest of the chapters were about!

infinity and being immortal

oh gods! and i thought *i* was stupid!

anyhoo, that chapter was kinda freaky. i am putting you in my favourites cloum thing and am hoping that you will have another chapter up.

you sound smart...smart is good.

im smart to, see! i'll sing a song to show you how smart i am.

i am so smart,

i am so smart,

S.M.A.T!

i mean S.M.A.R.T!

...ahem...
Saltwater chapter 3 . 10/24/2003
(3rd chapter) well i never thought of it that way! HA HA! i am immortal. YOU WILL NEVER DESTROY ME!

but i think that theory is false.

what happens when you die of old age?

ok, lets say you *do* get sucked into an alternate universe, where you didnt actually die. well that would all be good and well, except your body will still be shriveled. you eventually have to die, you cant just keep going until your body decomposes and turns to garden furtalizer.

and besides, if that theory was true then we would have people here who were about 1,0 years old or more. cause when you think about it, this could be one of the 'alternate universes' in which a single person was sucked through and could still be alive.

understand what i'm getting at?

ok, i'll explain better.

lets say you are 95 years old. a shrivelled prune who dies in their sleep. all your family mourne your death in this world, while your are sucked to another world in which you didnt live for another year, before you die in your sleep again. this procces goes on for hundreds of years, until you are 595 years old in one of the universes. unfortunately, people these days no longer live to that old, but you would. on your 595th *death day* you just happen to land in this universe. people around you would be growing old, dieing, and being sucked to other universes, while you are still living. if it worked this way, then we would have some *very* old prunes living in our time. plus the fact that everybody would know of this theory, because all the old people would know what had happened to them.

therefore i am corect and all those scientists are wrong. so...BLAH! *sticks out tongue immaturely*

heh...im smart
Saltwater chapter 2 . 10/24/2003
...soo...infinity is nothing?

i mean if its not an object or a number, and it cant be visualised, then it doesnt exist. at least not to humans, since we dont belong in the twilight zone. and besides, if humans cant comprehend something (the other group thing) then to us, it doesnt exist. therefore in my now disslodged mind, ifninity does not exist. which means its nothing. but it cant be nothing, because (by definition) it means a never endless suply of something. which means i have just waisted preciose time tryng to get to the bottom of something that just leads in circles.

JESUS CRIST! i'm in need of medical attention!

and im only on the second chapter.

you said "When humans progress to the next level and begin to live in the fourth dimension, we will understand"...but...but...we *are* living in the forth dimension. we will always live in the forth dimension, since by your definition its time. and we cant *not* live in time... can we?

shit...there goes my breain.
43 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 Next »