Reviews for God Bless What?
LaughingLlama chapter 1 . 2/12/2013
I, for one, did not take your essay as 'cold' or 'uncaring'. It is actually quite TRUE! America was founded on the freedom of religion, so that Protestants, Mormons, Jews, Quakers, etc, could be able to practice their religion freely without the oppression of the English King cotrolling the Roamn Catholic Church. If you look at what America is today, with homosexuality, gun violence, racial slurs, political wars and slurs, and discrimination against religion and values, why SHOULD God be pleased with our modern society?
ghostless87 chapter 1 . 4/22/2008
Sometimes it just takes a disaster to realize that we are not as safe in America as we think we are and that people need to renew their faith and stand up for their country.

Also, it was more than one person who wanted to take "under God" out of the pledge. It's because it's unconstitutional. There's an actual law that says the government can't make laws respecting one religion over another. So using that phrase in the pledge is actually against the law in the Constitution and favoring Christians over any other religious minorities. It just isn't fair, right?

Anyways, that's my 2 cents on this essay.
ShadyUltima chapter 1 . 2/7/2005
I agree with this. I am a Canadian, and I am Christian as well. I do not have the strongest faith, but I think there is a God. The 9/11 was a horrible day, but there are worse things that happen often. I believe that no one country deserves to be blessed by God, but certain people need it though. I agree that God has become a friend only when he is needed, and even though I often also use him that way, I am trying to find stronger faith.
pewpewpera fah wef chapter 1 . 8/10/2004
I do not share your views on this matter at all. This essay seemed so completely maddening to me that I cannot even leave a proper review. But I guess that's okay, you are allowed to say whatever you want. Free Press and all.
-Midnight Predator
me chapter 1 . 6/25/2004
We are all sinners and dont deserve to be blessed. But God loves all his creations and thats the kind of amazing grace he has.
CL Caudle chapter 1 . 2/23/2004
I am a devout Christian, and every day I am disgusted by the way people treat God and everyone around them. What I am about to say all relates to me believing in God and being a saved Chrstian; they are opinions, and are certainly not meant to offend.
We are all born sinners and will all die sinners; God forgives. However, God will not forgive unless you ask for it, and it seems to me like we only want his kindess and forgiveness when it suits us. I agree with you Seras, and everyone else who has said such things. Emily was very brave to voice her opinion in a day and age where every idiotic jock and moron supports America because he can. We ask God to bless us when we're in trouble, but where was patriotism when our country was fine? It didn't exist. Why? Because we didn't need it.
Just my opinion.
Vega chapter 1 . 1/4/2004
I just wanted to commend you on your ability to voice an opinion that I've always harbored but never had the guts to put into words. Hears to you. This was very well written, in a way that was neither meant to offend or convince. Wonderful work.
-Vega
Namir Swiftpaw chapter 1 . 11/24/2003
You know I am not religious, so I am really not sure what to say in respect to that. But I do agree that patriotism is not the same as it used to be.

I thought I had already reviewed this...but I guess I hadn't. o_O Stupid Namir!

Anyway, your classmate had some brilliant insight and so did you for being able to turn it into a paper.

Keep writing!

Namir Swiftpaw
Phoenix Ignition chapter 1 . 11/11/2003
I don't entirely agree with this, but I can say that it didn't offend me. It's not the opposite of my opinions, it's my opinions taken to the extreme.

No, we're not really a Christian nation anymore. We may be more Christian than the others, but the Seperation of Church and State basically solidified that we are not. *Barf*

I support the troops, though, and I support the war. And even if you disagree with the war I suggest you at least support them, because they aren't responsible for whatever mistakes the leaders may be making.

The faith of the Christians is eternal and unchanging. There just happen to be more weak Christians now than there used to be. But the strong Christians back then would be just as strong now, if they were strong at all.

I don't know about this teacher, but many teachers are open-minded about God, but simply can't allow his dreaded name to be spoken in a school, or they'll lose their job. *Barfs again*

Anyways, I'm still patriotic. The Seperation of Church and State, no prayer in schools. . .this isn't what America is. It's what America has become. It's still worth being patriotic. Hey, it's not like the other countries are any better. Most are a lot worse. At least we still have freedom.

Now, some constructive criticism: Unless I just misunderstood some things, I think you're missing some words.
Getuie chapter 1 . 11/10/2003
You know... I'm not going to comment much on this (not because I disagree but I think most reviewers said what I would've said).

Emily is someone I suddenly have all the respect in the world for (even if I haven't met her :-p). And I commend you for your own 'bravery'... I can imagine that you don't get a whole lot of pleasant comments because of this piece...

... I think this made me really think of II Chronicles 7:4... I'm not an American, nor am I British... but I have to honestly say I fear the power they so carelessly wield... It's a shame that they have not realized that they're fighting an enemy that's not connected to a country... and even if they did wipe out the whole world... they would still not be safe because terrorists could come from their very own camps... *shrugs*

Well written... I noticed a few mistakes here and there, but it's really good
Pharaoh's Wife chapter 1 . 10/22/2003
I understand completly. There is a strong truth in your words.
ssjbookgirl chapter 1 . 10/11/2003
i understand yhat you are saying, and i agree. why should god bless america if the only time we pray to him is when we need something? if we took the time out of everyday then we would have a right to ask him. but as it stands we dont.
Song of the Muse chapter 1 . 10/11/2003
True, Americans have given God more crud than He EVER deserved, but in all honesty, no one truly deserves God's blessings anyways. After all, we are all nothing more than sinners who seem to continually make God sad with our wicked ways.

I am a Christian as well, but I must say that I am quite strong in my faith. I have seen God work in too many ways in too many people to NOT be strong in my faith. But you want to know why God is blessing America? Here is an answer which I have heard from many a Bible scholar that tides me over.

Israel is the land of God's chosen people, right? We are allies with Israel. Somewhere in the New Testament, closer to revalations (sorry, I'm not sure of the exact location), God says that the allies of Israel will be blessed. You want to know why America is so prosperous? I honestly believe that it is because of our alliance with Israel. I also firmly believe that on the day we choose to become enemies with Israel, our nation will spiral downward into disaster.

Perhaps you should talk to your pastor about this subject, or another Bible scholar. This is what I've heard and it sounds quite feasible to me. However, you can draw your own opinions.

Nice essay. Good points.
SpawnMeister666 chapter 1 . 9/30/2003
First off, thanks for taking the time to read and review some of my work, and apologies for the time its taken me to return the favour.

But I'm here now, so I guess its review time.

I actually agree whoeheartedly with just about everything you say in this piece, with the exception that I am not now and never have been even remotely interested in religion.

So I dont personally care if God bothers to bless any particular place, as I dont believe in him.

The rest of it though, although it could perhaps be worded better, makes complete sense.

I'm actually English, not American, and we have a similar movement going on over here right now as to whether war with Iraq and Afghanistan was ever really justified.

Personally, I think not in both cases. That doesn't mean I'm in any way opposed to our troops in those countries. These are ordinary guys being asked to do a dangerous and difficult job, and I support them 100% in their efforts to get on with things.

The politicians who asked them to go out and do the job in those places though, are people I cannot in any good concience support.

One final comment, which is actually a piece of grafitti I saw on a toilet wall in Prague of all places, and which I agree wholeheartedly with...

Patriotism...its only where your parents had sex. Dont be so proud of it.

Spawny
gorf chapter 1 . 9/26/2003
Well done! You raised some *very* good points. Really opened my eyes and made me think.