Reviews for Nanashi
Akiko13 chapter 7 . 6/17/2006
The story's really good. Much better than most geisha stories that I've read-It's so hard to find a fellow brainiac on the subject of geisha and maiko. A bit of constructive criticism: you were quite right in defining a maiko, maiko literally means 'dancing child', but the word for a courtesan is not tayruu, it's tayu. Or you can use 'oiran' instead. If you want the story to be more authentic, use the word 'geiko' literally translated 'arts child'. It's what Kyoto geisha call themselves to differentiate themselves from geisha that don't work in Kyoto. Apart from all that, this is really good, you are quite sharp in the knowlege of the flower and willow world/floating world. Keep the good work.
Havah chapter 8 . 6/16/2005
Are you ever going to update this again? It's quite good.
R. Antanor chapter 8 . 2/8/2005
It's very refreshing to see a story about geisha that isn't all like an exact copy of "Memoirs of a Geisha" (although I do love that book!). Keep up the good work! I can't wait for more!
Sublime Rhapsody chapter 1 . 10/15/2004
This was real good. I could (for some reason) connect with the story. (It may be because of my heritage) Very creative and hope you keep up the good work!
lilyofthevalley5 chapter 7 . 6/28/2004
Good job love this idea UPDATE
lili brik chapter 6 . 6/4/2004
btw, didn't mean to be critical of 'memoirs', it just frustrates me when i can't be original.
and to tomoe gozen: i really don't know all too much about that time period-as far as geisha are concerned, i'm relying mostly on liza dalby's geisha...
as for that time period-lol, i don't know, the little i do know about it is from 'shogun', which i've just started. i assume it's fairly accurate; maybe you should check it out.
lili brik chapter 7 . 6/4/2004
hmm, i usually don't like reviewing my own work, but these comments here are freaking me out.
i've been trying desperately to stay out of the 'memoirs of a geisha' vein, but apparently, i've been unsuccessful. ick. ick. well, maybe later this will change-needless to say, i did NOT want to write a copy of that book; any suggestions for how to improve and i will gladly take them!
Tomoe Gozen chapter 7 . 6/4/2004
Not wanting to sound cliche, I try and stop myself from mentioning similiarity to "Memoirs of a Geisha", but it can't be helped, since that is the only book I've read about geisha culture. I would like to know more, as I am in the process of writing a novel based on Japanese and English/Spanish society. If you have any information regarding the division of geisha and tayruu in the 1500's (as my story is of this time period), it would be very much appreciated.
As for another's comment mentioning the repulsive nature of a foreign woman to the Japanese, I reference the book "Cloud of Sparrows" as an example of Japanese reaction. Here, western women are met with a distaste, seen as ungainly, and manly. Good job in incorporating this in your story.
I am looking forward to future updates and the further revealing of geisha culture.
Carolina.Scribe chapter 7 . 6/4/2004
Good job on this chapter. I feel so sorry for Nanashi. That would be terrible knowing there was nothing you could do about becoming-in essence-a prostitute.
But the way in which you write is very similar to the Memoirs of a Geisha. I'm so glad I read that before reading this. _ It makes understanding everything a lot easier.
Good job, and I'm so glad that you've updated!
lilyofthevalley5 chapter 6 . 5/11/2004
Love this idea cant get enough
babyb26 chapter 6 . 5/2/2004
Great chapter. Will you have her go through the mizuage practice? I was just thinking it would be interesting if your character turned out to be part Japanese.
Carolina.Scribe chapter 6 . 5/1/2004
Good chapter, I'm glad that one of the guests talked to her. _ I was feeling very sorry for her there for a while. And to think that soon she'll have to go through mizuage too! I can't wait for that chapter (are you going to do a chapter about it? I hope so) because that would be so interesting to see how that plays out.
Anyway, nice chapter as I've said before and can't wait for the next. (I'm so glad that you are finally updating this regularly!)
CraziCoconutz chapter 5 . 4/25/2004
I'm so proud of myself for knowing at least SOME of the vocab because I've been reading ,"The Geisha of Gion" and "Memoirs of a Geisha". Your plot seems a little like a mixure of the two but it still has it's own little niche and I'm sure there'll be a twist to the plot. Please update soon!
-AthensAngel
babyb26 chapter 5 . 4/14/2004
Great story.
Morning Mist chapter 5 . 4/11/2004
Now, I know almost nothing about the subject matter of your story, but... this is still both interesting and (dare I say it?) educational. You write very, very well. Please continue! _
35 | Page 1 .. Last Next »