Reviews for On Being Confirmed
May Elizabeth chapter 1 . 9/13/2009
Heh. Reminds me of my own confirmation at 12. I had no choice in that matter. My mom is Catholic so yeah church every sunday and baptisim, communion, and confirmation.
Manuel Fajar chapter 1 . 11/28/2004
Well written and thoughtful. Glad you ended it in perhaps... Though I myself was pulled out of La Salle as a kid (after getting whipped by a priest for asking how the Virgin Mother could remain a virgin after giving birth to the Child Jesus,) I think it's wise to be tolerant and respectful. Avoids civil wars. m
pennydeath chapter 1 . 12/3/2003
Yup. Exactly. Remember feeling like that myself...excellent.
Cherub of the Gutter chapter 1 . 10/13/2003
Very nice! I enjoyed that.

I can't directly relate, because my church does not confirm until 10th grade, and we have a year's worth of classes before hand (Presbyterians can be overly-thorough), but this reminds me of the first time I took communion (at my old church, which we left. Carzy psuedo-Presbyterians... most of them were really closet Evangelicals. They didn't like my dad. He was to "liberal", so he applied for a job at another church. I like the new church better.)

But anyway... communion - dang, it *was* fake! Eating Arnold's Brick Oven White Bread and drinking Welch's grape juice supposedly brought me closer to jesus. I was 11. I didn't get it then, and I don't get it now.
Alyx Bradford chapter 1 . 10/13/2003
I felt the same way when I went through confirmation. It was ironic, because the process was supposed to bring me closer to the Christian god, but all it really did was make me more closely examine the faith and decide that it didn't make sense to me. The whole plan sort of backfired, but I went through with it anyway because I was a good eleven year old girl who did what her parents expected of her.

The poem's very expressive. There are a lot of personal details that make it engaging. Nice job.
glitterjewele chapter 1 . 10/12/2003
this is so good! i love it. it's awesome how you can see through the facade and convey it in such beautiful and thought-provoking words. truly remarkable. and it gets better and better as the poem goes on which is saying something considering that it's already really good to begin with! i like the format, it's really visually appealing. the rhythm flows nicely all the way through. my favorite parts of this poem would definitely have to include, "except i have the strangest feeling that i've already taken mind/and mabye i took a wrong turn, because i swear/this can't be where i'm supposed to be," "this religion's a facade," "not the epilectic old man with a pointed had and rosary beads," and finally these three lines seemed to be the most exquisitely crafted one in the poem: "not any one in this carefully layered spongecake/laced with subtle poison that will lull you to eternal sleep/with the promise of eternal life." AMAZING work, your brilliance continues to astonish me. KUDOS! :)