Reviews for On Music
poetic abortion chapter 1 . 12/13/2004
I'm not on for essays but I found this rather good. . I enjoyed it alot. ) Well done. non

~ Noelle ~
girl of death 14 chapter 1 . 8/4/2004
Ok...you have a point about how people are obsesed and therefore ignore the music. But I'm not "an ignorant metal head thirteen year old", and I really don't think she can sing good enough to make up for the fact she doesn't play any instruments. Sure, there are people in bands I like that sing worse, but they have meaning and emotion and feelings in their songs. In Christina Aguilera's music, I don't see the same passion that, for example, Story of the Year has. Maybe that's just me, but that's what I find wrong with her. If she would just learn to do something other than sing, I'd respect her a lot more.
I'd also respect her a lot more if she'd put on some decent clothes.
Great essay though...farewell! -me-
Oracular Echo chapter 1 . 7/13/2004
Interesting! I agree about Justin Timberlake. While I am not particularly into the "Teenybopper" phase, I enjoy JT solo. Why? Because he has come out of the "teenybopper" phase and he is now officially a "pop" singer. Plus his voice is intruiging, songs are somewhat unique (going along with his unique voice) and he's pleasant to look at. Thumbs up from me. As for Christina, while she is not my favorite singer nor would she go on a Top 5 Favorite singers list, from me, I do admit that she has far more talent than Britney Spears. I'm not sure what to make of Britney Spears. She is a lot like Madonna in the sense that for singing her "talent" is that she can match pitch. (\/\/007...) But also that they command the stage. So while Britney Spears is nothing to look up to as a vocalist, she is a good performer. But not vocalist. I will give her credit for that. Something that annoys me about her, though, that you brought up: She still calls it "sensual." Okay, Christina comes out and says, "Yeah. It's Sexy. Check it out." That is great. If somebody doesn't agree with that, at least she is being truthful. Britney Spears puts on this cutsy act still. "Yeah... I'm just a small town girl from Louisiana..." Yeah, right, maybe 20 years ago. As for Mariah Carey... personally, I do not enjoy her as a vocalist. I feel that her voice has gone downhill, she has horrible breath control, and I do not enjoy her technique. But she has been very successful. So she is of course a "good" singer, just not in my standards. At all. Yes, her voice does extend up to F and G. That is left over from opera lessons that she used to take. It seems that when people take formal lessons, and then let their voices go downhill, that it sounds worse. Of course, I'm a classically trained singer. So I hear things in people's voices that people who are not classically trained do not hear. My standards for singer are "higher" in that sense, I suppose. But as for performance-wise, I give Britney credit for commanding a stage. I give Justin credit for being a unique artist (he reminds me of Usher, actually... in a weird way...), and I give Christina credit for not only being a great performer, not lying to herself about who she has become as a performer, having a pleasant belting voice with unique color, and being pleasant to look at. Those things combined make a "good" "mainstream pop" performer, and I see that in Christina. So... go her. Yay! Okay, I'm done now.
Thatz Foreman chapter 1 . 5/31/2004
Ah! Yes! Conformity has ruined Christina...a sad state of affairs. Conformity is evil. I like this. It's smart. Which I don't see much anymore.
Me chapter 1 . 3/20/2004
Oh okay, at least you acknowledged Stripped was a fantastic that Christina is talented. Woot, I hate when people say she's just another Britney.
Miamouse chapter 1 . 11/24/2003
I quite agree with this essay... well thought out with some really good comments.

I admire Christina Aguilera... she knows that she's selling something sexy, she knows what she's doing and she doesn't really care. Britney Spears still claims hers is "sensual". Mariah Carey went insane... but a beautiful voice nonetheless. So maybe they all have talent, but they lack credebility which is something I think they'd have if they could write a song or play an instrument.

Mia
bobbysinblack chapter 1 . 11/14/2003
i hate pop music for that very reason...in that part of the industry nobody is interested in producing a good song, a good band, just a good clip. and by good they mean women running around 98% naked with god knows what else going on in the backround...it sucks. pop music needs to get it's genuinosity back..and thats going to take alot of effort seeing as there hasnt been much real talent classified as pop music since (in my opinion) the 1960s...oh well, enough said.

good work, well written!
Queen of the Harpies chapter 1 . 11/2/2003
Mariah may have a good voice, but that fact is lost when she acts like a vain whore. Christina, on the other hand, has broken out of her teeny bopper shell sucsessfully. I like her better this way. She seems more...honest. Yes, Britney Spears is a talentless wombat. However, as you so eloquently pointed out, she can dance and take off her clothes. She gets props for that.
Cerulean Dawn chapter 1 . 11/2/2003
It's interesting that you happened to say that Christina made herself look like a "prostitute."

Prostituting is exactly what all of these artists, Britney, Mariah, and Christina. A real musician stays true to who she is. If the public doesn't like it, then so be it.

But of course that's not good for business, right? Yes, and, looking at this way, all of these "artists" are business people, not musicians. They care about selling records, that's all.

Not all people are like this. It is possible to succeed without whoring it up at the VMA's. Look at Avril Lavigne. Yeah, a lot of people don't like her. No, she doesn't look like Britney Spears. Nor does she try to. She sold a lot of albums and now has legions of fans because she simply is who she is, even if that person is a not particularly good looking and incessantly angry person. Many of those fans are people who were alienated by pop music selling out to sex, ex-Britney fans mostly.

If you want a different example, look to Michelle Branch. She's a beautiful musician, more than capable of playing the sex card if she wanted to. But she doesn't. She recorded a very sincere album in Broken Bracelet which later became Spirit Room with the addition of a few key hits. And then she wrote another album, sticking to her original guns, the very things that made Spirit Room a success. She didn't turn into a prostitute, she stayed Michelle. It didn't make for the most popular album, but the actual fans were satisfied, because we all knew that she hadn't sold out or changed her style just to sell more records.

By the way, she plays her own guitar and can sing circles around Christina at the same time.

I will agree with you that Aguilera has more depth than people give her credit for. She actually went on to different things while Britney was recycling "Baby One More Time" into new music to try to keep her star from fading. And "Beautiful" was a decent song, though highly hypocritical if you consider the person singing about inner beauty has subsisted on her looks for so long.
Silvanus chapter 1 . 11/1/2003
Your opening statement of admitting that any criticism of music was spot-on. I'm sick of people telling me that some music is "bad" when they only think it is. Beyond that, this was well written, but one statement did catch my nit-picking eye. You claim that Mariah Carey can sing eight octaves. I, too, have seen some of these claims made by the media, but I'm telling you now, so you never say this again: that's impossible. All 88 keys on the standard piano keyboard cover only three notes more than seven octaves. For Mariah Carey to sing eight octaves, she would have to sing higher than the greatest soprano coloratura in opera history and lower than the greatest basso profundo. No human voice can possibly be able to reach eight octaves. Three octaves is rare - eight just isn't happening. Now, I'm not blaming you for this, since I'm sure you just read it somewhere. Just be careful to state things without verifying them.