Reviews for The Official Mary Sue Manual
Captain Blackbird chapter 1 . 6/24/2004
That was absolutely brilliant, TA. You have such an awesome gift with writing. See ye on fanfiction!
Marie the Black Rose chapter 1 . 6/13/2004
I laughed at a few of the examples!
It's a good thing you pointed out that my fanfic was going in the Mary-Sue direction. I'll try to make her a little less invulnerable. Like, failing at her sword lessons, or something.
Ttyl!
~8 Marie the Black Rose 8~
iamnagini chapter 1 . 1/10/2004
Thanks for clearing up MUCH confusen, I am a new writer and with your writing i can (hopefully) make a story worth reading.
Closer to Fine chapter 1 . 12/31/2003
Wonderful! As much as this is a spoof on Mary Sues (and I'll admit, I've read plenty of characters like those described). it's also very useful in creating a character with substance and depth. Thank you, TA!
youdontneedtoknow chapter 1 . 12/24/2003
Lol, that was funny. I read this a while, but was too lazy to review. I keep coming back here to read it, and out of a sudden flash of brilliance I remembered there was a such thing as a favorite stories list! Thank you for taking the time to write this, as it does authors everywhere a huge favor. I can't believe you actually got flamed! If people think that writing and posting this was a waste of time, what do they call writing a long review about something they hate? Anyways, loved it! Keep writing!
ConfectusPapilio chapter 1 . 12/24/2003
excellent essay, nice job!
RainDreamer 2 lazy to log in chapter 1 . 11/27/2003
Oy, why don't you just come out and say, "I don't have a story idea so I will seem like I am creative and write about mary sues." This is not a story! It is a waste of time to put on fictionpress. Put it on , there you will be praised, but don't taint fictionpress by putting it on here. I hate these ridicules "stories" that seem to make people happy. What is the matter with you? If people want to write mary sues then let them! Who made you the judge to say that their story sucks because they have acharcter that MIGHT portray themselves and are perfect. If they want their characters to be perfect then just simply say, " Nobody is perfect, you need to rethink what your charcter's traits are." Not, "You suck, your story sucks, and everything you wrote sucks."

Not only is this rude and immature but it hurts people feelings. Just tell them that you don't like their story, don't go out and say that they suck. Another thing is that if you don't like mary sues then why do you read them? Kinda pointless if you seem to hate them but yet you keep reading them and even WRITE about them.

All this says to me is that you can't seem to think of anything else to write so you decide to write about mary sues. What is the point? To tell us how not to write a mary sue? Who cares? Like I said before, if they want to make their charcters mary sues then let them. It is their choice, or in your minds, mistake. Let them learn from their mistakes, you don't need to write stories about this. This is just a pointless way to get attention, nothing more.
Dre Ship-Ship chapter 1 . 11/15/2003
Well I have to say, you sure know your Mary-Sue's. But that one line

"Fantasy is never an excuse to go too far beyond the ordinary."

Fantasy is an excuse to go out of the ordinary. It's a way people express themselves. I beilieve, that when you are writing, you can go as far was you want, just be realistic. That's what all the great writers do and I don't think it was right for you to say that!

Dre Ship-Ship
Sassy Q chapter 1 . 11/15/2003
Can I love you anymore? I love anything that pokes fun at Mary Sues. Now I have a nice handy guide to let me know when my characters are getting too Mary Sue. I actually thought the male counterpart of Mary Sues were Barry Lous, oh well, my bad. Ver educational, I think many will benefit from this. I myself have to change some things about my story (not the POTC one).

TTFN
Jashi chapter 1 . 11/12/2003
we. fun stuff, mazey.

Stephen: LET'S GO BEAT THE CRAP OUT OF 'EM!

Tades: *snickers*

anyway, i'm watching that one episode of Fushigi Yuugi where Chiriko dies...*Cries* much too sad...
Midnight Owl chapter 1 . 11/7/2003
thanks. you probably aren't looking for reviews but i thought i'd drop a line anyways...i know what you mean about mary sues. i've always called them average joe's but same difference. i have constantly tried to stop writing them... thanks for the help!
Bo N. Arro chapter 1 . 11/7/2003
I kept coming back to this until I finally got through it. It really made me stop and think. I took a few writing classes this semester on my trek for my teaching degree-thought they would make me a better teacher. Between the classes and your essay, I can see where a lot of my charaters from, say, last year and before are almost Mary Sues. Thanks for your help. I'm going to go in and revamp. I plan on reading more of your works to help me in my quest for "perfection." If you don't mind me asking, how old are you, that you are so knowledgeable?
Janne Doe chapter 1 . 11/6/2003
Interesting... I won't say entirely accurate in some places, but I loved the examples.

T~H
JadeScarlet chapter 1 . 11/6/2003
Very well written. I hope many of the fanfic writers I've encountered will read this!
Lauren chapter 1 . 11/6/2003
Thankyou!

Finally, a well-written piece on Mary-Sues.

Worse, I believe, than the Mary-Sue itself, is a writer in denial.

"She's not a Mary-Sue, she has flaws. She's terrible at math and has no friends."

"She's not based on me, I'm terrible at art. And she's prettier."

As you can guess, I'm going to have to send a few people in your direction to read this :)

Well done.