Reviews for The Official Mary Sue Manual
Chevalier Tialys chapter 1 . 7/4/2012
This has quite literally brightened up my entire day. You have done the world of fictional writing a real favour by writing this...
KassiH chapter 1 . 5/14/2012
I really appreciate that unlike most anti-Sue rants or even litmus tests you have added thoughtful, constructive advice for how to construct a character that avoids the pitfalls of Mary-Sue-isms, and well-thought-out reasoning that presents the fundamental philosophies of building realistic characters and why they're more enjoyable to read. Kudos.
deletethisprofilealready chapter 1 . 5/12/2012
I wish more people would read this. I've read several stories on fanfiction mocking Mary Sues or telling how to avoid writing one, but at least you have separated the types of Mary Sues. I have a very vague idea in mind for a story in the future about someone who makes herself as close to perfect as one can get-a sort of mary sue. However, the reason she gets this way is because she has mental flaws (low self esteem, dependency, shallowness, trust issues, perfectionist) which she hides with sheer willpower to become ideal in the way she looks and acts. I don't know how it will end, probably with her returning to a natural, imperfect state of being, but would she still be considered a mary sue?
joorie chapter 1 . 4/3/2012
Good job.
Mehehehe.DinRose fanfiction chapter 1 . 3/28/2012
Meh, this website is JUST LIKE !

Anyway, this is helpful. I'm writing a fanfiction, and don't think my characters are Mary Sue/Jerry Lou's. THANKS A LOT!

~Din
Guest chapter 1 . 3/23/2012
"The God-Moding Mary Sue,

2: If the main character couldn't beat them the first time, neither can you"

I'm confused. What do you mean by that?

Please respond at your earliest convenience.
Katerina The Von chapter 1 . 3/19/2012
Thanks for the advice :)

I plan on writing OCS on FF, and you helped me more on how not to create a Sue.

Great advice :)
WriteImagineDreamEML chapter 1 . 1/12/2012
Wow. That was ingenius, I must say.
RandomReader chapter 1 . 12/11/2011
Your assessment of Mary Sues had me in tears...several times. Thanks for making my day a little lighter. I'm somewhat new to the fanfiction world, so I don't think I've ever read a Mary Sue (Or maybe I did, but wasn't astute enough to recognize it ;). I was curious about what a Mary Sue actually is, and came upon your "story".

Oh, geez. The Pity-Beggar Mary Sue...boy-oh, whoooo...I about died.

The Legolas section...just...wow. I think I actually did die at "land-mermaids".

HOLY WOW, the fact that you picked Harry Potter...and McGonagall's niece a Veela! Pure what-the-deuceness.

I'm totally reposting this gem!
Black Rose Hokaru chapter 1 . 11/21/2011
HELLLLPPP!

Do you think my a few Metal Fight Beyblade OC's are Sue's? (this is for everyone to answer, but u don't have to)

Name:Mirai Tategami (I'm mostly scared of this one as being a Sue)

Age:13

Looks:Long dark green hair in high ponytail tied by a light blue ribbon, unlike her twin brother (. he's a cannon character. I just had the idea for a twin so I made it up) she has light purple eyes (he has light blue eyes), slender figure

Attire: black tube top under a green sleeveless zip-up hoodie zipped below her chest, ripped skinny jeans, teal converse low tops,peridot studs, but she'll tend to change her clothes, thats just the attire she's most likely in.

Personality: lively and energetic but not to the point where she's an annoying airhead, bubbly (but to the same point as before), sweet, fun loving, shy when around her crush.

family: twin sister of Kyouya Tategami, she is self-conscious and cares about her appearence which is why she wears makeup and is usually never seen without it, she can be tempermental and act like a bitch sometimes, usually lazy, acts like a snob around people she hates, can't surf or swim.

Girly girl or tomboy: ummm both, but is mostly a tomboy (she does not wear skirts or dresses often)

Bey: her bey is Shadow Virgo and it has a blue face bolt with a white V on it, purple energy ring, wide black fusion wheel made of rubber, spintrack made of a super rare indestructable unknown gemstone, sharp metal performance tip.

Friends:Ginga and co. Team Wildfang

Enemies:Dark Nebula

bitbeast:maiden in black clothing

Name: Amai Tendo (older sister of a canon character named Yu)

Age: 13 (Yu is 10-11)

Looks:Mid-back orange hair, green eyes,petite figure.

Attire:Lilac shirt, onyx miniskirt, lavender fingerless gloves, black combat boots, black choker.

Personality:sweet,cute,loving, quiet around people she doesn't know very well, stammers and looks at the ground around her crush,kind of discouraged because she's short
SparkyNZ chapter 1 . 11/15/2011
I don't think I've ever laughed so much in all my life... :) Thank you for making my day.

I don't think I'll ever need to worry about writing Mary Sues again.

~Sparky~
Dark Blue Lover chapter 1 . 11/9/2011
*lol* this was brilliant, funny and well explained as well. Loved the examples. I'm gonna check all my OCs for that xD (right now I don't think they're definite Mary Sues but there might be a few traits I have to work on... *coughs*)

May I put up the link to this story on my fanfiction profile? Of course with credits and everything :) I'm pretty sure it's going to help loads of beginning fanfiction writers (and original writers as well but about 80% of all Sues I encountered were in fanfiction, so...)

Anyways, great job on this! :)
Heather D chapter 1 . 9/29/2011
Now that you mention it, I'm noticing that my original character is a plot-stealer Sue.

Thanks for writing this guide, I can sure use all the help I can get.
Meme-Love chapter 1 . 9/29/2011
XD

I would need help with this, because I'm fairly new to this site. I AM GUILTY OF CREATING A MARY SUE ONCE OR TWICE, but yeah, haven't tried to make myself a character.

*cough*Nowadays, all my characters are plain, but finally manage to spice themselves up, then end up trying to hard, and they gain weight...*cough*

Yeah, favorited this, it'll help me :)
Rina Q chapter 1 . 8/10/2011
Nice! At least I know that my character isn't overly Sueistic. [yeah, I make up words]
180 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 .. Last Next »