Reviews for The Official Mary Sue Manual
Bugoutcomedy chapter 1 . 7/17/2011
Praise you. *bows down* Praise the light!

Thank you so much for writing this, I really enjoyed it and learned a lot from it.

Wonderful!

Bug
Reader Fox chapter 1 . 6/4/2011
hi Mr. Maxwell. I was just wondering about something.

One of the characters I have for a Yu Yu Hakusho fiction is the little sister of Sakyo. (the bad guy you meet in the second arc)

She was born with a lung condition that makes her sensitive to the outside air. The illness is exacxerbated by the fact that her parents didn't listen to the doctors and move her out of Tokyo when she was young. It was only when she turned 10 that Sakyo took her to live with him in a mansion in the forest.

She doesn't have any special skills (unless quoting different movies and annyoying the hell out of all her bodyguards counts) she spends most of her time watching cartoons, explosive shows and comedies, and she's fairly blunt about things. Due to the damage already done, her doctors have given her until sometime in her 18th year to live.

She falls for one of the Toguro brothers who have been hired by Sakyo to guard her and while at the Dark Tournament (season 2) she passes away after she and Toguro make love. Toguro is not saddened by the loss as she was really only a way to pass the time as well as a perk to the job.

Is my character a sue? Please reply to

Thank you for your time.
dorkofyourdreams chapter 1 . 5/30/2011
thank you for this :) fortunately, i haven't written a mary sue, but now i can be sure i will accidently write them this was well put together, very easy to understand, and had great advice in it.
Person chapter 1 . 4/16/2011
This was very helpful! Thanks for sharing!
Gina chapter 1 . 1/13/2011
This was a greatly written Sue Manual. I agreed with pretty much all of your points and I'v seen the 'perfect' Mary-Sue...and its annoying.

Really all characters, from Star Wars to Harry Potter, have Mary Sue in them, but the creators were able to balance it out with flaws, creating a three demensional character.

Mary-Sues in truth are like spices. It's good and promising to flare up a dish, but too much will make the eater spit it out. Its all about control and equalness.
Frappe chapter 1 . 9/4/2010
The mary sue stories made me laugh and made me learn something from it as well. Thank you.
Solos chapter 1 . 7/12/2010
Mary sue parody, this should be helpful.
Error 404 Page Does Not Exist chapter 1 . 7/2/2010
I thought this guide was actually really helpful and I just wanted to say thanks for posting it for beginners like me when it comes to writing, hopefully I won't screw up too bad now :3
IchHeisseFaust chapter 1 . 6/29/2010
YES, very helpful story, one I give links to for newbie fanfic writers. :D

THANK YOU! :D
butterfly'8'sting chapter 1 . 5/18/2010
I found this resource very concise, well explained, and helpful. Thankyou :)

I just wanted to clarify. Under the banner of man-hunting Mary Sue, you did not mean any story who's focus is a OC/cannon character romance. Only if the writer ignores cannon, abandons plausibility, and/or the only plot involves the romance. Does it count if there is a regular sub-plot, but most of the writing is focused on the relationship which evolves plausibly over time without contradicting cannon?

And would the contradiction of cannon be forgiven in the case of a minor cannon character having a romantic interest, but creating an AU where he meets and develops a relationship with the OC instead. Because, honestly in one of my fics I forgot the character marrys in the story, so I plan to write her (the cannon love interest) in, but simply as a friend of his friend whom he doesn't see often and never thinks of that way, which is all she was until their relationship developed in the story anyway.

This was a very useful guide though, much less confusing and full of ifs and buts than many others I have read and also much more useful with the advice on how to avoid the Mary Sue traits.
completeandtotalrandomness chapter 1 . 5/1/2010
lulz this is so true! Especially the perfectionist part. I'll admit that at the beginning my characters were way to perfect but now I see the light for adding weaknesses and fears. I also agree with the bond that we as writers have with our characters because we put a little of ourselves in them. *huggles all her characters*
Wren chapter 1 . 4/22/2010
Wow, the technique that you use with the numbers is genius. I never though of it that way. I hope that thanks to this, there will be less Mary Sues in the future.
Baker Test chapter 1 . 4/20/2010
This little guide certainly explains alot of the characters in the stories that I've read. Its also why I stear clear of fanfics that major character/OC pairing in the summary. Most of the time it just doesn't make sense. I like your character creation as well, reminds me of roleplaying games. Thanks for the guide.

B
Besieged.Infection chapter 1 . 4/20/2010
Great job with this. Despite what your profile says, this "How-To" is not out of date at all. I use this for reference almost every time I work with fanfiction, actually. I don't just use it for original characters.
Six chapter 1 . 2/26/2010
Hey, I was just reading this and I was wondering why "Isabella" was an unusual name. I don't have any characters named Isabella myself, but it's actually a pretty common name where I live...
180 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 .. Last Next »