Reviews for Fire Wood
Melissa Lea Night chapter 1 . 2/14/2004
this one feels different from others that you posted, but that's good. it's not one of my faves but it's still good. i actually like the last two lines so i personally wouldn't change them.
suckerplucker chapter 1 . 1/13/2004
Hooray its a sonnet! and (Gasp) its actually in (mostly) iambic pentameter! Hooray! let this be praised a rare day indeed. Taht being i have few questions
L3- why "would be black" are they not blackened already with fire?
L9- This line confuses me, i just don't understand what youre trying to say.
actually-pretty much the whole last quatrain is confusing, i thinks it because you're too much of a slave to your rhyme schemes and it may be better if you preserve the ideas, but abandon the words and rewrite the quatrain.
i like your ending couplet, except for "A wood of trees", what other kind of wood is there? I know its for the meter, but is there something else you could put there/replace it with?
zac
FurballofEvilness chapter 1 . 1/11/2004
*sighs* m...i can just imagine it. beautiful.
I've always enjoyed this kind of this kind of poetry, descriptive and everything. yup. *nods slowly*
Celestial Sailor chapter 1 . 12/11/2003
Hmm? No, I feel the last two lines sum up the depth of the entire poem and don't need any further touches or else they would become verbose.
What I love about this work is its symbolic and metaphorical wit and imagery and the polarisation between fire and traveller (think about it, it's not evident without significant thought)
Anybody you tells you the only beauty in work comes from superficial elements is a fool. The greatest beauty comes from the deep and profound ideas, emotion and imagery that may take more than one read and careful thought and consideration.
Very well done, and please do continue writing.
-Celestial Sailor
htmraw chapter 1 . 12/8/2003
Truely poetic and beautifully written.
I could see the whole thing in my mind.
*Looks off dreamily* Someday...
Anyway great poem and thankyou for reviewing mine. *smile*
Linnet chapter 1 . 11/19/2003
Beautiful! I could really feel the imagery... I'd love to read more of your works!

About the last two lines- they're beautiful, but a thought just popped into my head- what if it was changed to:

"Wood of trees, strain yourselves toward fire

Selling yourself into slavery for flame's desire."

Hmm... I don't know... whatever you think sounds better...