Reviews for Legalize Marijuana
Dahlia Wolffe chapter 1 . 3/11/2007
I agree! If you've got the time, check out my essay "Legalize!"
writingonpaperx chapter 1 . 4/20/2006
Spliff, Lmao. That was great :)
Smoky Bear chapter 1 . 11/7/2005
Mia, I agree whole-heartedly with everything you say and I have been seriously involved with trying to get pot legalized for a while now. The cannabis issue goes way beyond whether pot is safe, you missed out the most important reasons why cannabis should be legalised and why it was prohibited in the first place.

1. Cannabis as a resource can be used for paper,clothes and fibre, food and feul and MEDICINE - look at MS suffers. It is rapidly renewable and cheaper than wood/oil.

2. Cannabis was prohibited to protect the riches of oil and paper barons.

3. The laws surrounding Cannabis are not in place to protect us. The government doesn't really care for your welfare (look at the other things they allow.) They only care about their own laws are in place to prohibit our basic rights of freedom of choice. Cannabis promotes feelings of love for nature and fellow man. The government needs us to hate each other in order to stay in control.

4. Man has used Cannabis since the dawn of time for many reasons, it is a natural occurance on this planet, it is picked from the plant and smoked! how can you prohibit nature? (if u believe in god then you're saying he made a mistake! ha!)

Cannabis (on its own in pure herb form) has never killed anybody. You cannot overdose, you fall asleep or throw up. In 15 years of heavy (and i mean heavy) cannabis use, i can honestly say I've been sick from it twice, and i'd been drinking as well on both occasions. Can't tell you how many nights out drinking have ended up with me puking my guts up (or worse still not knowing what's happened)! I do not drink these days.

How many lives are ruined ny alcohol and cigarettes.

I could go on and on and on. (merely for the benefit of the ppl who haven't a clue)

But all this aside, even if the issue is cannabis safe? of course it isn't for every body, but it should OUR CHOICE!

what the f** does anyone else care what we humble potheads do? Go on, sit back have another glass of wine and gloat at us with superiority and pickled livers.

well done for stirring it up, Mouse, s'not a bad essay.
BazookaJoe chapter 1 . 8/29/2005
In reponse to Steven Lawrence...

"Almost everyone would imply that an overwhelming majority of Americans have all smoked marijuana at one time and that couldn't be more wrong."

While maybe not an huge majority of Americans have smoked pot, a ton of them have. 1/3 of adults smoked marijuana one time in there lives and depending on where you live, different % of teens smoke it. I know where i live about half of anybody i meet has tried it. (and no, it's not like i only talk to people who aren't in the "bad" crowds)

"I know an Army Ranger who smoked it up and he is unable to have children now. He did this before he was a Ranger"

There are many people who never smoked pot in there lives and are unable to have children. Maybe your friend is one of them and it was a coincidence that he used to toke it up. I happen to know a lot of father's who used to toke it up and happily have children now.

"Also, valuable police resources and court resources would be freed up, as they wouldn't be chasing after those pesky 'hash smokers' all the time."

If weed was legalized, then yes police resources would be freed up. Denying this is stubborn.

"What makes you believe that he and other growers would simply allow themselves to get taxed if marijuana was to be made legal when they can just simply keep their current operation going and bank 100% of the profits."

if weed was legalized the government wouldn't be so stupid to tax marijuana so heavily that it's cheaper to get from a dealer. While there wuold be a tax, it would still be cheaper to get it at the local liqour store/pot store what ever. This would destroy the infastructer (excuse bad spelling) of drug dealers and get a lot of crime of the streets.

"Actually, THC does not act the same way nicotine and alcohol does. While alcohol merely slows down your response time to things by numbing your nervous system, THC affects the snapses in your brain. Those are fired on their own now, creating images that aren't there or providing zero control over your reaction to something. Nicotine is a stimulant-all it does is speed up your heart and circulatory system. So no, they are not "alike" in any way, shape, or form."

I don't think what he is saying is that THC affects your body like alchohol and nicotine. What he's saying is that tobacco is currently addicting, causes lung damage, and is legal. Weed may be addicting, may cause lung damage and is illegal. Alchohol impairs judgement and you might do something stupid while drunk and it is legal. Marijuana impairs judgement and you might do something stupid while High.

Why would these two substances be legal while Marijuana is illegal.

Now unless your opinion is that tobacco and alchohol should be made illegal (a perfectly fine NON-HYPOCRITICAL point of view), then why would you care if weed was made legal.
Dinero chapter 1 . 8/29/2005
I missed something.

Another, incredibly key factor, is the people that smoke. All scientific knowledge and studies of marijuana tell that it is not initally dangerous, so anyone that's curious can try it, and decide not to like it or whatever. But whoever does decide to smoke it, does it WILLINGLY. They will hear every signle day what pot can do, just like cigarette smokers. But whatever negative stuff happens, happens to them and they know it. To have other people tell you if you can smokle or not is unconstitutional or a complete violation of our freedoms.

If I choose to smoke pot, it affects me, not some crazy bitch lady in the south that's against it. I decide to take in the negative effects in order to recieve the positive.

If it were legal, and people talked about it often and put it in AT LEAST a semi-positive light, kids will ask their parents to try it, rather than get it from the street (even from the street, its not bad). When their older or whatever, they can do what they want.

Cigarettes kill thousands, yes, but thousands that decided to smoke, despite people daily telling them its bad. Fuck anyone that wants to take that right from me. If you want to live, not experiencing what pot can do, fine, I won't bug you, but if I wanna smoke, then I will and you should have an option in it.

This same thing applies to sam-sex marraige. If two people are the same sex and wanna get married, that's between them, not some gay basher conservative that thinks its just wrong. Why should HE get to decide that for them?

Think about that.
Dinero chapter 1 . 8/29/2005
There is absolutly no evidence that Cannabis is addictive. Neither is tobaco, its the nicotine in cigarettes that makes them addictive. Also, alcohal is far more dangerous to the body thank pot. Damage to the liver and brain is great, (especially when having too much causing hangovers) and weed doesn't necesarily have the same negative effects as tobaco. When breathed in through a bong, the negative effects are basically neutralized. Also, it may cause relaxation and lack of motiviation, it does not cause lack of control over the body, that Alcohol does, so driving while high isn't nearly as bad.

Cannabis was banned by the government because of hemp, and alternative to nilon, but because people didn't know about what it could do, the makers of nilon (who had lots of money and friends in the senate) were able to make it illegal. That's it. That's why its illegal, not because of its affects on the body.

I'm sick and tired of the bitchy poem writers who act like pot is bad and makes people bad, and the one guy that supports it doesn't say how good it really is.

People have this impression that pot makes people bad, when its bad people that smoke pot. They do it to be bad, to show people that their tough or whatever. People, good, hardworking, grade A people smoke pot daily and are getting imprisoned, they don't deserve that. Legalize it. Legalize it. Lega-motherfucking-lize it.
GoodbyeDeleteThisPage chapter 1 . 3/17/2005
RIGHT ON! You have suceeded in writing a very intelligent essay with all of your facts in order. Anti-drug companies lie to you more than the drug dealers do.
Me chapter 1 . 3/17/2005
I noticed someone's attacks against this stating that we have no idea how many people have died from Marijuana, that's a lie, in the Journal of the American Medical Association there is a chart listing the Annual Causes of Death for the year 20, and Marijuana is at the bottom with 0 deaths.

Just your friendly neighborhood stoner dropping in to say hello :)
intrested chapter 1 . 5/1/2004
I agree with you. pot should be legalized but there are a lot of reasons why. There's this book called Marijuana Myths Marijuana Facts. I read it at my library. It's incredably intresting. I think this paper is really important but can't really serve its purpose as much on this little website you should think about having it published in a magazine or something.
ConfuseDAngel chapter 1 . 1/5/2004
...it's not the drugs which are bad, i mean they aren't even doing anything to you "literally". It's just us who goes near them and uses them.. That's what i learned from my prof.
AboveTheSalt chapter 1 . 12/1/2003
Yeah, true. And what about the cancer patients who have been using it for years or something to that degree? Don't quote me on that, it was in Time magazine a while back I believe. Anyways, you're very right, and if something like this was to ever be accomplished.. I'm not to say it's a step in the right direction for our country, not at this point at least, but in the future, it would be wonderful. Great job, you always write such infomative and emotional essays, even if you don't mean to. Keep it up.
Tiefling chapter 1 . 11/29/2003
Interesting. This is very well written.
I do not believe that legalisation would lower the price of marijuana, because the government would jump at the chance to tax it, the way they do with alcohol, cigarettes and gambling.
With regard to the dangers of marijuana, some studies in Australia have linked it with schitzophrenia (they don't think it causes it, but it can trigger its onset in people who are genetically predisposed to it).
I'm a bit surprised you didn't mention the medicinal benefits cannabis can have for certain conditions.
Legalisation would help 'protect the kids' the way making dope illegal was supposed to, because if it were legal then people just looking for a good time would not have to associate with and become criminals. For this reason I'm inclined to think they should legalise and regulate *all* class A drugs. I recommend Ben Elton's novel 'High Society'- he makes some good points about the subject.
eupseudes chapter 1 . 11/26/2003
Umm...

Do you imagine the tremendous public outcry that such an announcement would make? Marijuana will see increase in use if it is legalized, because past studies, especially the banning of alcohol, show that that's what happened. In the end, the people who don't want marijuana won't have it, and the people who need it will abuse it even more. Seriously though, nothing like this will ever get off the ground. It is a world of politics, my friend, and you'd get thrown off by the mere mention.

On a more analytical side, the essay made strong appeals to the emotional side, but was lacking in facts. You have great potential for writing convincing arguments, but next time back them up with facts, and maybe choose another controversial topic. It's a very good way to attract reviewers.
Steven Lawrence chapter 1 . 11/26/2003
I pray that the younger people in the crowd don't take this piece too seriously, for it's is plainly an opinion piece with very little fact.

"But there's one drug that almost everyone tries before they make it safely out of their teens. Would anyone like to take a guess? That's right, marijuana."

No, Miamouse, that's wrong. "Almost everyone" would imply that an overwhelming majority of Americans have all smoked marijuana at one time and that couldn't be more wrong. I know I havent, and I could probably find you another 100 without hurting myself. I could jump that number higher and higher each time I wanted to because the majority of Americans have NOT tired marijuana. I'm one of them, and unlike C Shot, I'm not ashamed of it. I don't need a drug to get my kicks, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

"But I do know the facts, and they point to marijuana being safe enough to legalize"

That's funny, because almost all reports from doctors always conclude with "but we haven't had the opportunity to study the long-term effects." That would mean that nobody really know how safe or dangerous cannabis could actually be.

Currently, one well-known side effect is impotence. I know an Army Ranger who smoked it up and he is unable to have children now. He did this before he was a Ranger, btw.

Now let's think about this for a second. You've stated that your friend is growing the plants at his house. What makes you believe that he and other growers would simply allow themselves to get taxed if marijuana was to be made legal when they can just simply keep their current operation going and bank 100% of the profits.

Those "pesky" hash smokers could be someone behind the wheel of a car that could smash into you and kill you, much like that of a drunk driver. If you legalize marijuana, should you then be pulled over for DWH (Driving While High)?

"If marijuana was legalized, you would also pay tax when you bought it, which means that it would become a source of additional tax revenue for our happy governments."

And then you'll see Mexican weed start flowing in more than before. Your point is so flawed it's hard to explain all the problems with it.

"They (and I) also argue that marijuana is a very safe drug that has been used recreationally for decades with very little ill effect."

I'd love to know what on God's green Earth gave you that idea, but I'm sure you'll begin pointing me to pro-Marijuana doctors who are all for it. And before you point me to medicinal use, most of those who get it prescribed and get the gov't weed usually have lukemia or some other sort of debilitating disease.

"Users complain that limiting or banning the use of marijuana is an infringement on their personal freedom."

This personal freedom crap is beginning to really make me mad. The Constitution does not give you the right to do whatever it is you want. There are laws that have to be abided by, and, as much as you might not like them, you need to follow them.

"It's a nice sentiment, but when so many of the kids are already taking or have tried marijuana, then you know something has to be flawed."

Once again, a mere opinion with zero proven fact.

"Marijuana is very easy to obtain (My friend is growing the stuff, for god's sake) so legalizing it wouldn't make much difference."

Which is exactly my point above and exactly why, somehow, you've been able to refute your own entire point.

"something that has most of the same effects, be illegal and taboo?"

-Steve
C Shot chapter 1 . 11/25/2003
err.. when I said gay I meant if you are a guy... typo.. big time.

C Shot