Reviews for To Be Punk or Not To Be Punk?
Jedmonds chapter 1 . 2/20/2013
To me Punk is the essence of individuality against the mass conformity, for example in the common scene at the moment it's all preppy people wear slogans like "OBEY" on their jumpers and won't buy a certain clothing item unless it's seen to be popular. Myself I'm heavily into the Clash and since then no band that i know has compared to how powerful they were, but to be honest I have a feeling soon there will be a Punk rebirth, punk started because peole got bored of hearing the words "Groovy" and the whole hippie scene and this Gangster scene is slowly getting more and more annoying to people, even the words "Yo yo" is getting more and more childish.

PUNK REVOLUTION PEOPLE!
Dark Cosmic Magician chapter 1 . 12/21/2011
I totally agree with you.

First of all, you have a very good argument here, and I think the same for you is for me.

I am glad to say I'm punk, and I think you totally wrote what I was thinking. Now, I haven't really been punk all the time. I went from emo poser, to emo, to punk. Why? Poser cause I was small and a little kid who wanted to be like her friend cause she got attention from everyone. Then emo cause I liked the haircuts and the style, and then I found punk. Obviously, by music.

Then yeah, the people who say "I bet you haven't listened to the first album of My Chemical Romance! And don't know the name of their first drummer!" WTF? Why would you even care? If you like the music, then just listen to it! If you adore and workship the band (Like I do with MCR XD) then go ahead! But don't bugg people to like it if they don't!

The other day there was this girl on the street that, when she saw my MCR shirt she came to me and started ranting. I adored her until the moment that she asked me if I liked the new album. I said I liked them all. She said they changed. I said no, they didn't, they always randomize their album genres. First it was almost metal, like metal core, then it was punk, punk-rock, and then alternative rock with a bit of punk. Then she went into "Oh, you didn't" full mode. She told me to fuck off. I told her to grow up and stop being a poser.

To sum it all up, I agree with you about what punk is.

Peace out!
Aboulomaniac chapter 1 . 8/4/2010
I agree with you 100 percent. I'm punk, and sort of a hippie and I like being different. People look at me weird all the time just because I don't like the way Hollister clothes look and that I don't wear them. Really cool insight thing though. or short story or whatever. Peace.
Livler chapter 1 . 2/18/2010
Oh, so very true, but doesn't punk rely on the media? Even if they don't rely on it the same way other people do, if it weren't for the media, do you think the Sex Pistols would have had as big of an impact as they did? I mean, without the Grundy show, the Sex Pistols might have never been noticed. In so many ways the media helped punk. I guess this kind of makes since. I think.
Green Eyed Angel chapter 1 . 12/24/2008
I really like this essay, though I disagree with some points. Sure, you can call us rebels, those with the tatts and nose rings and other shit. But we don't go up to people and say things lik that. It's their faults, their problems. Sure, there's always a lot of posers, but I know most of us don't scream at them and stuff. If you think that that is what we do, I think you don't know any real punks, and only posers. Or people who think they're punk, but technically aren't. But like I said, it's not our problem. I thought I had a point there somewhere...
Shawn chapter 1 . 2/14/2007
Hey, i totally agree with this paper. I hate people who think that bands like Good Charlotte and Simple Plan and others like those are posers, or how bands like Rancid sold out simply because they hit the mainstream. People need to learn that bands have their own music styles, and if you dont like it, then get over it. I also agree with your definitions of punk, personally, i am a total punk-rock fan, I'm into bands like Rise Against, Anti Flag, Rancid, The Casualties, and more hardcore and political bands, but i dont wear tripp pants or style my hair into a mohawk. Maybe you could write a followup on preps? Personally, it seems like most people now classify you as either prep or punk/goth, and i know tons of people (including myself) who wear Hollister, abercrombie, and American Eagle, but still listen to hardcore bands, and it irks me that people expect me to listen to the backstreet boys or hip-hop just because i dress a certain way.

Anyway, all ranting aside.

It was a very well constructed paper, and i commend you on your efforts.

-Shawn
Natasha5 chapter 1 . 8/5/2006
So true.

I dress in a way that some people like to put into a label. I honestly don't care about the labelling part, whatever. I have become "goth" in most people's words. I couldn't care less. What really pisses me off? As soon as they find out about my obsession with Bob Marley And The Wailers, I automatically become a 'poser'. So fucking what? Bob Marley And The Wailers were an awesome band. I like them because I like their music. Should that make a difference to the way I dress?

~ Natasha5.
Ali McManus chapter 1 . 3/24/2006
The only time 'punk' was ever really punk was back in '77 when Johnny Rotten was pissing of the british government.
Jennifer Strong chapter 1 . 7/25/2005
If another person tells me that Green Day isn't punk, I will find them and kill them. I'm AWARE that they aren't punk, they haven't been since they signed with Reprise. You don't know how many people have told me this.

I like this essay. Who GIVES a shit whether the music you listen to is "punk" or not? I certainly don't. I listen to the music I listen to because(shock of shocks)I LIKE IT. I don't give a fuck what others say about it and I never have.
evilpenguinofdoom chapter 1 . 4/24/2005
i don't know if i agree with this...i honestly don't...it's just because...you can't place a label on ANYONE...if they label themselves than they can go ahead...but by saying that all punks do this and do that is just stupid...like...i'm not saying that if you call yourself punk than you're not...but if you have nothing to support your, 'punkiness' then i agree that they are posers...i agree that the REAL posers are people who say they're something to one person adn then to another say a totally different thing...i'm not sure if i'm making myself clear either...i'm not very good at it...i'm also not very fond of the whole, saying shit about other people you don't even know and say that they're a poser...unless you know them personally and know that they only want attention...also, i don't think that people can sit there and say they only like punk...who the hell only likes punk? every kind of punk sounds different...every kind of punk sounds a little like something else...so then, what is the real punk? nobody knows anymore because good charlotte and simple plan and avril lavigne (who said she was punk and then toally denied it) have ruined the punk that started it all...but then again...everything evolves right? in conclusion i have rambled on and have made people say that i'm a dipshit...oh...and also...i dress like a hobo but i'm not a hobo so that whole dress like you feel theory isn't all that great...well...hope you can agree and if not...that's ok too!
JoseJavi chapter 1 . 8/30/2004
ok, i'm a punk, and you gotta understand that i LOVE rancid, even if they sold out, which they DID because punk is a movement which disagrees with capitalism, and rancid did not need the money or anything of the sort, so, the fact remains that they sold out. pliz read my essay: "Warning: Punk Not What It Used To Be"
girl of death 14 chapter 1 . 8/6/2004
Yay! Go you! I bow to your wisdom and all that other junk that you obviously posess in order to be smart enough to know this! I am a "poser" according to my fellow students for exactly those reasons! So go me, the stupid "sellout-liking" poser! (AFI, apparently). Ha, I told this "punk" kid that Anti-Flag had a video on MTV (true!) and he flipped out on me...and never wore his A-F shirt again...oh well. Go you, because you're a genius! . Farewell! -me-
Ellen chapter 1 . 5/27/2004
I completely agree with your article. The "punk" kids who call everyone else a "poser", or a "prep" really need to get a life. So you don't agree with them, you can still respect them. {that was to the so called punks, not you.}
P.S. I apologize for bad grammer, but english is not my first langauge.
breakdown in the waiting room chapter 1 . 4/8/2004
Agree again! I'm so sick of these people that say you have to do this and like this and this this this this this to be a "real" goth or punk or emo or whatever. . .why can't you just like what you like? People that like what they like and don't care are the real punks, in my opinion.
-Jessica
Hanako chapter 1 . 4/7/2004
I completely agree. I also like everything, yet I'm called a poser. I don't agree with this because, I'm just listening to the stuff I like, how is that being a poser? ::sighs:: Another great essay
33 | Page 1 .. Last Next »