Reviews for The Wide, Wild World of Fanfiction
the coffee fiend chapter 1 . 5/29/2005
Dragonbane! My friend! Long time no see! Agreeing with you on the songfics, although I've been away from and affiliates for so long that I wasn't sure what a vidfic was. But you cleared that up for me. Only got to read the first chapter, as I'm going out, but I like what I see!Keep writing!

Peace, Love and Harmony (which are all nuclear and GE free) Laura
Kinna chapter 2 . 12/21/2004
I agree with you on some points, and disagree on others, but hey, everyone has their own opinions. As long as you support your reasoning then it's fine by me. The one thing that I agree with you the most is that people should support why the characters in their stories choose the actions they do , or they act in the opposite manner of what their character was originally like. Characters have to have reasons and motives, otherwise the story becomes really pointless. Another thing I know you have not mentioned is character bashing. While I think it’s okay to hate a character in a story, is it really necessary for someone to go out of their way to make the character’s life a living hell? To me this disrespects the original author who wrote the show/book/comic. I’m sure they had a reason for making the character they way they are. Oops, I think I got off the main topic now, this is supposed to be a review of your writing. I know you wrote this about a year ago, but I thought I should still review it…Um, well I have to !
Kaz Anagros chapter 3 . 12/26/2003
I like this, keep writing. I think MSTs are fun to read, seen a few good sites that had em a long time ago. I also absolutely love how you can't speak your opinions. I mean, having them is bad but letting other people see them...that's a mortal sin right there.
~Kaz
Oh and I'M in charge of fanfiction. That's why so much of it is mind-numbingly bad;)
S.C. Preclarus Noctis chapter 2 . 12/26/2003
Ok, it just sounds like you're dissing everything YOU don't like about fanfiction. You know, you're not in charge of fanfiction, and you shouldn't even be posting this crap telling others about what you don't like about it..because no one really cares about what YOU think about fanfiction. The whole point of fanfiction is to write about things that might never happen in canon...or what the FAN thinks will happen. Just because some fanfics aren't written YOUR way doesn't mean you have to start dissing all the things in fanfics that you don't like.
And about the "Major Betrayal" fanfics..if you want more, write some yourself. Don't tell others to do it just because there aren't enough. And maybe some people think that's a really dumb plot for fanfics. If YOU thinks it's cool then WRITE IT YOURSELF and stop bitching.
S.C. Preclarus Noctis chapter 1 . 12/26/2003
Ok, first of all, I see what you mean with your little complaint on song fics being not long enough..But when you start dissing Evanescence and Linkin Park just because they're "used too much in songfics" that's just stupid. Ok, they're used in songfics, so what? Just because they're used a lot in songfics doesn't make them the "devil", as you would call them. They're used a lot in songfics because they're awesome bands.
And I really don't see a point in your essay.
Anarchist Smurfette chapter 3 . 12/26/2003
I agree with most of this - I certainly get incredibly annoyed when, say, Ron and Hermione are just the Happy Couple In The Background, and more so when Lily and James are... but then, that's probably more my annoyance at underdeveloped secondary characters.
However: what about dealing with the extremes in short forms? I mean, obviously drabbles are a different issue, but what about stories set at a few hundred words where the author doesn't want to go into a lot of exposition about how things get to what they're dealing with?
HoneyB chapter 3 . 12/26/2003
Hmm, looks like you're gonna get a lot of flames about this.
Personally, I'm split on the issue. I wasn't around before MST's were banned. I would not like to be MST'd if the author's intent was just to make fun of it, but if it were to show me how to improve, then I might warm to the idea, although I'd prefer someone to act as editor to accomplish this.
Yoshi12 chapter 3 . 12/25/2003
I never knew about MSTs until I read this; and, after reading this, I would have to say that I think they're stupid.
I can understand why people think they are mean even, if the MST writer was not trying to be mean at all. Some people have low self-esteem and don't like for their work to be criticized at all (constructive or not); so they get mad when they find out that their story has been MSTed.
I don’t really understand how they can be funny at all, but I’ve never read one so…
Even if the MST isn’t malicious, not a whole lot of people like to be made fun of themselves, or have something that they worked really hard on be made fun of. But some people just don’t care.
florida orange chapter 2 . 12/25/2003
What was the point of this? To make you look like a jerk who thinks only what he likes is good? Well, then, chalk one up for you. You are not the grand high llama of what is written about online. That's not your job, and no one cares what you think. Besides, this type of thing isn't even allowed on . There was no reason for you to post this here, you ass.
Yoshi12 chapter 2 . 12/25/2003
Have you read any of the Harry Potter fics where everyone betrays Harry? I've read a few and I found one that I think is really really good. It's called Betrayed, and it's by kateydidnt on
Ghost in the Machine chapter 3 . 12/25/2003
I'm afraid I have to disagree. There is a drastic difference between an MST done with permission of the original author and and MST done as an exercise in author humiliation.
If permission is given, then I could care less. If not, the MST'er would be much better off doing a proper edit of the story in question than a public display designed to humiliate the victim. Which is more likely to inspire an author to improve? Public humiliation or private instruction?
I also disagree with your premise that MSTs are 'original'. Without the work being mocked, there is no MST. No matter how much the MSTer adds, the basis is still the complete text of someone else's story.
Also, there is no work, no matter how good, that can't be mocked via MST. While it's normal to MST bad works, by taking things out of context, by 'clever' parsing, anything can be made to look bad.
Thus in closing, I feel that MSTs done without the original author's premission are the cruelest form of flaming that exists.
Liviania chapter 2 . 12/24/2003
Hmm..well, on the suicide point, it is hard to tell who is literally depressed enough to do it. Ususally they actually seem happy on the outside, and more people kill themselves around Christmas. Often they also don't see it as permenant, but they want the pain to end so bad right then they don't think past the next few seconds.
I hope you are for AU's...they are one of my favorite things to write! Uchronia can be very fun, exploring the bubble/ripple effects changes can cause in the paths of the characters.
Livi
ciaan chapter 2 . 12/23/2003
Well, Bane, I give review to make you happy. Your basic point of having things have reasons, thinking through the reasons, thinking through the details, making it understandable and believable, is of course not to be argued with.
That said, even the craziest things can be done right. Like the fact that due to the wonderful story sequence I read, Mikage/Ruka is my favorite SKU fanfic pairing.
Blah blah you have a few typos.
K L Morgan chapter 2 . 12/23/2003
"But really, making someone like Heero gay is like making my toaster gay. Honestly, if they're straight, they're straight."
Unless they're bi.
Or questioning.
Or just act really darn flirty with someone of the same sex.
Although I agree with most of the points in your essays, I have to object to this one. The entire POINT of fanfiction is to explore areas of interest the canon will never, ever cover. As long as it's done well, I don't think you should close off this particular option. At this point, saying something like "Heero is straight and that's final!" is more about your opinions on sexuality than a matter of aesthetic taste, which is what your essays are about, right? And believe me, I'm not a fan of waving a magic wand and making everyone gay. When OOC, it's just as nauseating as a Mary Sue. But experimenting with a character's sexuality can make for a really good story.
Again, I really did enjoy reading your writing. But perhaps you could spend a little more time elaborating on each point? It would help someone who really is looking to improve their work if you went into specific detail, citing examples of things done right (finding well-done fics) and when it's done wrong (you could create your own, here, to avoid hard feelings).
Can't wait to see what you write next!
~Kat Morgan
HoneyB chapter 2 . 12/23/2003
I'm reviewing again!
'making someone like Heero gay is like making my toaster gay'
Couldn't agree more. Most of the time I just pass over homo/slash fics because they've got an uncharacteristic pairing (like Harry/Draco)
Suicide? Strangely enough, I've never come across a suicide fanfic. (Well, okay, there was one, but very well written and, really, the character was only going to suffer even more if he didn't kill himself)
Murder is another one I haven't seen a lot of, if at all. *shrugs* I guess I should be lucky.
Marriage, nope barely see that one either.
Hmm, weird, maybe it's because I stay away from stories with summaries that sound like the person who wrote it was having a serious trip.
*wince* You don't like AU's? *Creeps away slowly*
I actually did an essay about the NC-17 rating being removed from ffn, but it was more about liberty for writers and not my opinions on the stuff.