Reviews for Hail the King
kaia915 chapter 1 . 10/2/2004
Nice repetition, and thanks for reviewing my poem. I kinda liked the movies, they were okay, but the books are definitly epics. I'm really influenced by them. Who's your favorite character? Heres my email:
Junella chapter 1 . 10/2/2004
Oh, the poem couldn't be more suited. I'm a huge fan of LOTR meself, and particularly Aragorn. He rocks, and so does your poem! Keep up the excellent work! *grins happily*
Kishana Mornai chapter 1 . 4/23/2004
Why is the first and second stanza in first person singular and the second in first person plural? Admittedly, it seems to "go" better this way, but if this was actually used, either as a person pledge to the king, or a group pledge, it would be less effective than it is now, simply on the page. And "Hail the king, as our trust in you" makes categorically no sense. Other than those two things: good poem, enjoyed it, thoroughly agree with you about the movie. - Kishana
Belle the Shadow-Cat chapter 1 . 2/28/2004
Thanks for reviewing my poem. This poem struck me because I love Return of the King (best movie ever) Although I like the book better.
I liked the poem, it was well done, I liked it, and I think you did a good job. And a movie such as this deserves to be honored.
Hail the King!
-Belle
DHABUZ chapter 1 . 2/5/2004
i just love the movie
i saw it so many times like 5 times in threaters
and abt your poem
i like it too sorry i can't review 10 times
although i read it 10 times
if you don't mind try my poems pleez
Lori Brennan chapter 1 . 1/7/2004
Personally nothing could ever do the books justice. I was a die hard Tolkien fan before the movie was ever conceived. Every one still called his name Tolken, while I chose him for all my contemporary author projects in English. His work brought out the whole D&D cult. Almost all RPG games are based on his work. They use the rules he has established. No one wrote like he did, think about the time era these books were published! No one thought like he did. He has been and always will be my favorite author. Forever my obsession, The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings!
fayreweill chapter 1 . 1/5/2004
The first movie's ok I guess but the other two are a far cry from what I think it should've been esp. after I read the book. Thumbs up for the poem. :)
ZealWarrior chapter 1 . 12/24/2003
-Pretty good poem, nice repitition, very kingly, great images, it's like a procession held for royalty. But if you want my interpretation of the movie, well...okay, just remember, you asked for it, not me.
-The movies blow. Not only in comparison to the novels, but as movies themselves. The first movie was quite true to the novel, the second wasn't even close, considering Jackson added his own plot events (Elves at Helm's Deep), changed the focus of the novel from Frodo and Sam's journey to the Battle of Helms Deep, took out the Shelob scene (quite possibly the most vital part in the second installment) as a result, killed off characters that were never supposed to die (Haldir), changed the movie from character based to plot driven (It was about Helms Deep, not Frodo and Sam or the Fellowship), altered the characters beyond recognition (Gimli is a joke even though he's not supposed to be), dummed down the dialogue for those not fluent in intelligible speech, altered events to his own demented purpose (The Nazghul knows that Frodo has the ring, while in the novel Suaron thought that it was Aragorn who had it), and I could go on and on about how bad the second movie was.
-The problem with the third novel and movie is that the ending is WAY TOO long, and the movie screwed up by adding the Shelob scene in the third part, thus eliminating an integral part of the second movie, and extending the already intolerable length of the third movie. Also, the ending for RTOK isn't meant to be for a movie, it's meant to be read because in the movie it's a lot more boring, and makes less sense because of the SO many changes. Example: Saurumon's scene with Gandalf in Orthanc was removed and he lost his power of speech and stance as a wizard, and how he re-appeared at the end of the third novel. I won't spoil it, but there are tons of scenes that were deleted that should have been kept intact.
-What Jackson did just ticks me off; all he wanted was this to be the most technically impressive series of all time, that's why the Battle of Helms Deep is the focus in the second movie, that's why the Shelob scene was in the third, and that's why there are so many fight scenes in the third movie. It's all about the special-effects. Don't believe me? Remember when the TT was going to be released? It wasn't about Frodo or Sam or any of the Fellowship, it was about how huge the Helm's Deep battle scene was. That's all they showed.
-And no, I'm not bias because I read the novels; I saw the first movie before ever reading the book, I was part-ways through the TT when I watched the movie and finished before the time ROTK came out. All I can say is that, for me, and this is purely opinion, the movies don't do justice to the novel, and that even as movies they're mediocre. However, I do like the music and Ian McKellen's acting, that's what saves it for me.
-Sorry to have such a contrasting viewpoint, but that's how I feel. There's a great review of the movies by Roger Ebert in the Chicago Sun Times, and I agree with him that the focus has shifted from the main characters (The Hobbits) to the humans and more heroic figures such as Aragorn and Gandalf, since they wanted to make the movie action-oriented and not true to the novel.
-But, great poem! _
Akalei chapter 1 . 12/24/2003
Very cool poem. Lord of the Rings rocks. Have you seen The Return of the King? I heard it's like 3 1/2 hours long but the ultimate movie of the year. I hope you can find some time to review my poems!
forgottenxxfreak chapter 1 . 12/24/2003
yes, Peter Jackson and JRR Tolkien are both genius! Lovely movie. Best of the year if you ask me! :) i've seen it 3 times and i'm not stoppin there...brilliant movie, i wish to see it around 50 times! i've got a while to go though. hah. Anyways, lovely poem as well mate! bravo!