Reviews for Riddle Me This
glitterjewele chapter 3 . 2/22/2004
wow, this is really neat! it's amazing how you can actually write it to convey specific clues, and yet simultaneously make it sound so elegant and intriguing as though it were a poem simply for a poem's sake. methinks i like this one slightly better than the first one (probably because i actually understand a few of the clues, lol not enough to actually figure it out, of course, but i think if i had time i could do a lot of research and maybe come up with something, since i kinda have an idea of where i'd look . . . eh, wishful thinking, don't mind me :). i really loved the opening couplet: "act two scene one of the tale of the Dane/Ophelia's father deemed her lover insane" it just has such an incredible sound to it, and really powerful implications (or so i *think*) behind it. awesome poem! great work, chica, as always. :)
H. M. Banson chapter 3 . 2/21/2004
Okay... I'm determined to get this one.. let's see... Dane, Ophelia, insane lover... that's Hamlet to a tea.. now, hmm...
"Take from her brother a ram with now eye" qu'est-ce que le qoui? um... well, I know her brother was Laertes (though that spelling is horribly off, I presume)... a ram with no eyes... merh... alright, maybe the next clue... the appendage through which the good king died... dash it all, I do wish I'd read the whole play now (thus far, I've only read selected scenes used for an audition... I should read the whole thing though, I really should...) let's see... was he... poisioned? stabbed? let's go with stabbed for a moment... in that case, he'd've been gotten with a knife, which would've been held by a hand, part of the appendage know as an arm. Arm... okay, so I may have one piece of the puzzle.. woo hoo! - Heartfelt emotion, eh? I'd say go with 'love' for this one. love-arm... arm-love.. hmm, somehow, I don't think that's quite right... double earl gray take... oof, I'm lost again. Dash it all. For a second there, I had hoped to be on a roll. Gah. What she recieved from Alfafa... oof, I have no idea. I highly doubt it was a love-arm/arm-love... that would be an extremly odd gift, I must say. Ah well... I had hoped to be one of the intelligent people who could impress you.. but alas, not me.
AArgh... I just read the real answer in your reviews... wowsa, was I off (well, I knew I was, but... yea...). Hey, I got the love part right! Woo hoo! Okay, so now I cna walk away without feeling like a complete dunce... just sort of one. Not so bad...
Well, thanks for the mental challenge of the day... honestly, this is just too clever! Great job! How you did it is beyond me, but genius is always impressive... kudos!
Always,
Hollie Marie
H. M. Banson chapter 1 . 2/21/2004
Wowsa... all I have to say is, this was very cool, but way too tricky for me! Hmm, I'll go read the other ones, see if maybe I can feel slightly more intelligent than I do now... probably not, but we'll see!
Great job... this is very cool, despite me not knowing the answer!
Always,
Hollie M.
glitterjewele chapter 2 . 2/20/2004
ah-ha! riddle me this has become chapter-fied! imagine that. :) now, obviously i'm much too stupid to figure out what the riddle is (lol i can't even figure out if this chapter was meant to expand on the first one, or if it's a riddle in and of itself), BUT i can't deny that this one like its predecessor has such a glorious cheshire cat aura to it it whisks me away to some new dimension while i read it, just by the way it sounds, and that's quite an accomplishment! so, kudos to you, and i can't wait to find out what this riddle means (when other people figure it out with their combined genius's, of course ;)! kudos!
CoolBeans18s chapter 3 . 2/8/2004
This was easier? *dies* Okay. I am not good at these at all... err.. there's love... and... ear. Loveear... Erp, no. I can't do these! *goes to sneakpeak at all other review...*
Brilliant riddle! The rhyming is perfect!
CoolBeans18s
Magpie Poet chapter 3 . 1/31/2004
*shakes head* i'm no good at these. i know laertes and ear and love. and take away the a. the ram part just makes me think of a black ram tupping a white ewe. (yeah yeah wrong play.)
fun and sounds cool, but now i'm going to sneak and read more clever reviews!
A Girl in Denial chapter 3 . 1/30/2004
I accept your challenge, Mind-Tear. After a bit of hunting, this is my logic. "The Tale of the Dane" is Hamlet. Ophelia's brother is Laertes. The ram part I had a bit of trouble with, but then I remembered my own astrological sign. The Aries is also The Ram. Aries without an eye (i) is ares. The Good King (King Hamlet) died from poison to the ear. Love is a heartfelt emotion. So now we have:
LaertesAresEarLove.
And the omega (end) of "alpha" is the letter A, taking out all of the A's, getting
LertesResErLove
"Love" seems to be a word in itself, creating
Love LertesResEr
and by moving letters here and there, and combining them too, you get
Love Letters.
Very nice, Les Yeux Violets. It tickles the brain! Please write more.
agid
Mime chapter 3 . 1/29/2004
I admit to cheating and reading Mind-Tear's review. However, I did get the "love" part of the answer, honestly! The fifth and sixth lines gave that away. I haven't read the play (guess that gives me a disadvantage, ne?), but now that I know who the "brother" was from Snowtiger, I can't resist working this out for myself, even though I have the answer. (Call me pigheaded if you want, I know I am. _ ) Laertes...ram with out an eye. You're not talking about the eye which you see things with. I think you're suppose to remove the two e's from the name, so that's Larts. Making a wild guess, I'd say the organ was the heart. Lartsheart? Doesn't make sense...but to continue: omega of alpha would be the letter "a", if my Greek is right, since omega means something along the lines of last, or ending, I think. Lartshert. Well, I suppose if you scramble them a bit, you can get the word "letter". _ I dun even know if the guy was stabbed in the heart...Man, I've got to improve my lit knowledge.
Oh well, this was fun. I needed to take a break from my life, which is currently hell, and work on this. I hope you write more of these, lyv!
MindTear chapter 3 . 1/28/2004
yeah, i got it. but i sort of cheated. you think things are easy when they're really not. but yeah. 18 times... 18. sigh. the answer, for all of you misinformed people, is a "love letter". now, i challenge you to work it out logically... to prove that you figured it out, such that you can't just read the reviews and get the answer, like the last girl did. weekend. scoff. lol... it was fun lyv- "beth"
mindtear/devin
snowtiger13731 chapter 3 . 1/28/2004
I think the first one is weekend. . . this one. . . i'm not too sure. . . I know the play's Hamlet. . . that's easy. . . and her brother was Laertes. . . no clue about a ram with no eye though. He was stabbed with a sword. . . but I can't figure out WHERE. I know that her father Polonius was killed in the arras or something. And the emotion is love. The omega/alpha thing has me LOST. Oh well. . . . it's late. I give up. I like these riddles, though. They're very good.
-julia-
ittybittytreefrog chapter 1 . 1/19/2004
Oh, I get it. And yes I did look in the reviews becuase you are excellent at making really difficult riddles.
What doesn't make sense is the "plural form line" becuase grammatically we'd is already plural. And if you mean we'ds then should the answer to the riddle be weeskend? I like the "container of choice" line. Wouldn't it make more sense to say write the last name of the honey bee? Because if you reverse honey bee, the last letter is an 'h' backwards.
Mime chapter 2 . 1/16/2004
Oh, you have another one to clear up the first one! Mayhaps I can solve it this time if I think hard enough. Okay unwanted in gardens...thorns? harmful bugs? weeds sucking up all the rich soil? Same sound...thorn...torn? I dunno. Bugs...don't think so. Weeds...I still don't know, but I can cross out bugs from the list.
Scotch's accent...I have absolutely no idea on that one. I don't have much experience with Scots. Wait, I should go back to the first poem before going onwards...
Well, if you reverse bee, the last letter is a d. (I am suddenly reminded of times in kindergarten when there was mass chaos when learning the differences between b's and d's. ; )
To get back on track...thorns...weeds...mutters...*few minutes later*
I GOT IT! It's a weekend! You take weed from the garden clue, the ability verb is "can" (can-still don't know how a Scot would accent that. _ ), so that's "we can", or somthing, and them you add a d. Wecand, or weekend! Yay! I've go tto admit, that one was a stumper at first, but thanks the second poem, it all makes sense now. Thanks for taking the time to write something for me; I'll be thinking of this every time I come across a hard riddle now, probably. Anyway, I'm blabbling too much. Sayanora!
Magpie Poet chapter 2 . 1/16/2004
Show off! *laugh* brilliant. or maybe i just feel stupid now... either way, more riddles should be in order:)
CaramelCream chapter 2 . 1/16/2004
I think the answer is weekend and no, i did not check in the reviews .
Nice poem. I didn't think riddels could be written this pretty. Do more please?
A Girl in Denial chapter 2 . 1/15/2004
Yes, I honestly did get it, and this chapter did help me be definite. Hopefully it will help others. I promise I didn't see it in someone's review! Do more of these, I like challenges!
agid