Reviews for Waterwings
DudeG chapter 1 . 1/23/2004
The first thing I can say is: It never ceases to surprise me how many ways there are to say the same thing, to see the same thing, to interpret the same thing. That said, it makes me wonder how two entities can ever exist as "one", yet, that is the struggle humans are doomed to endure. Well, all except the lucky few, who find their "water-wings" early on. At first, the "water-wings" concept was odd, and I still don't know if "water-wings" are real, or something you made up for this, yet the imagery works-in a way, an earthen-angel, someone of this place as we are, NOT of the heavens. With that, I enjoyed this a lot. Prior to this, I defined the imagery of...needing someone to support the imagery used in The Unforgiven II by Metallica (a key, a lock, all that good stuff). This has given me a new perspective on the subject though, and hopefully, will subsequently inspire a new perspective in my writings as well.
Mucho good job!
Taylor Marin chapter 1 . 1/19/2004
Hm, not so sure I like this quite as much as Blindman. The chorus is great, but the whole 'water wings' concept strikes me as being just a little too eccentric for so serious a concept. Life preserver would work, but it would be enormously cliche (pet peeve of mine); because of that it makes sense why you chose water wings. So... Yeah, my judgement on this remains uncertain. Again, great chorus, though, as well as excellent depth/meter/lyricism/etc!
P.S. I'm another of those rare ducks older than 13 or 14. :-D
i was a postcard chapter 1 . 1/17/2004
This is so pretty. Maybe it's cause I'm listening to gorgeous acoustic guitar music right now, but either ways, this is really really lovely. I loved:
"boys will pretend
that they are men"
There's something about it; I'm not sure. The ONLY part I didn't like was the 'I'd make you my queen' part. It seems very trite. BUT, other than that minute detail, this was really great. D (BTW, I used to be LessConfusionEnsues. As you can tell, I'm now Fiona's Sister. Thought I'd clarify that.)
EchoesOfReason chapter 1 . 1/17/2004
Me likee this. Very deep. I think it focuses a lot on the fact that we need someone to depend on. And while it says boy on it, I think I can still apply to it, drowning in emotions, problems, and myself. I know what you're trying to say here, at least I think I do. If not, then sorry, I have an interpretation, as does everyone.
This is good though, really good. I especially like the title. Just the way you called it what you did. It's pretty amazing. "Water-wings" very nice. It's basically that you're drowning and only that person can save you. Hence the title. Okay, now I'm just rambling, but this was great. Like I said, or like YOU said, I can relate. Heh!
Well, take care, keep up the good work, and good luck on the next song. Hopefully I can be depressed soon and come up with something else.
Love always,
~Just because it's justified, doesn't make it right!~