Reviews for In Defense of the Elvenking
rainbowsurfer chapter 1 . 6/10/2016
OMG. I finally found someone who actually read the book and explained so articulately. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

As a huge fan of Tolkien, I was so sorely disappointed with the Hobbit movie. Peter Jackson should have contacted you before he he turned Thranduil into a cold hearted and indifferent King causing a lot of people who either don't read or don't know to read the book to assume Thranduil as an evil King. My only consolation was that the actor was somehow managed to make Thranduil sympathetic and likable at times - but, likable mostly because of his stunning looks. Gosh, he was beautiful.

Truly, I wish you were the one who wrote the part of Thranduil. It would make him endearing and do justice to the book. I was so looking forward to see the Elven-King as even though he wasn't mentioned a lot in the book, he was grand and there were so many ways for him to elevate the movie and make it more interesting. When I read the book, I remember him as a fascinating character - more of a benevolent King who was wise and cautious..

Now if I could only find some lovingThranduil fanfics to read, lol.
amberanime chapter 1 . 11/8/2014
Thank you for not only paying attention, but for taking the time to write it down. I do hope the last movie will show Thranduil not wanting to go to war over gold and do not basterdise him up. I'll be really upset if Jackson doesn't stay true to Tolkiens thranduil. he already gets misunderstood more then he should have.

And Thorin gets excused way to much for what he does wrong. It's like people got it in reverse...
Alassea Riddle chapter 1 . 4/23/2013
Oh, wow! :D I read this all the way back in 2005. Then I stumbled across it again now :D What a coincidence!
I still agree with this (although, I never actually made a review) and I really hope that the Hobbit movie at least conveys some of that.
Heaven'sPair chapter 1 . 12/16/2012
You made a very nice set of arguments defending Thranduil! I agree with all of what you wrote ;)
Sylvara chapter 1 . 11/25/2010
It's pertinent and clever, and precisely because of that I don't understand why you do not publish it in the LOTR section fo fanfiction net where it would probably be read by more people and be more effective?
Ashley chapter 1 . 6/28/2006
Well done! I was so happy read this! I think good Thranduil is more enjoyable to read than evil Thranduil, anyway, and your defense of him is a nice refresher! Thanks for posting this, it was an excellent read, and makes perfect sense :D
Rose chapter 1 . 1/30/2005
This was an excellent and logical essay. You presented your information, backed it up, and examined the issue from all angles. Well done.
Faelan chapter 1 . 1/17/2005
Hurrah! What a wonderful essay proving our darling Elven-King innocent of all these fandom based claims of evilness. Great evidence, as well! Great job!
Writer Ash chapter 1 . 9/18/2004
I loved this essay. Keep up the good work! I shall read some of your stories when I get the time. My fanfiction penname is FrodoFever if you want to read and Ash Wood's my penname if you ever want to read anything. Just a suggestion.
Once again, keep up the good work
Amanalda chapter 1 . 8/4/2004
Yes! *dances around* My goodness gratious was that an awesome read. Your points were extremely well argued and thorough, and not to mention believable. I've been looking for something just like this to prove my point that Thranduil isn't bad. I can't believe someone actually wrote something like this! HA! Actually, just after reading this I sent out about five e-mails to my friends to read this, because I have been trying to convince them that Thranduil isn't bad. *cries* I can't stand the Evil!Thranduil. I've always thought of him as a good king and father, and this just proves that my beliefs are correct. *jumps up and down* Thank you a zillion times over for writing this, I enjoyed it to the last sentance and it will put a stopper to my friend's arguements...hehe. Well done!
May the Evil!Thranduil disappear from the earth and the real Thranduil take his place. *nods*
~Amanalda~
the evil witch queen chapter 1 . 7/29/2004
i quite agree. good thranduil is much more canon and realistic.
that's very well written and the points are put across really well, both in structure and convincingness (if that's a word)
well, very good! keep up the good work!
Portia7 chapter 1 . 4/1/2004
Excellent essay! I'm certain that the "elf-king" who the dwarves had previously quarreled with was Thingol, not Thranduil-for one thing, Thranduil is always referred to as the "elven-king" elsewhere.
ESC's escapes chapter 1 . 3/17/2004
Yay! Someone who likes Thranduil too! I like Thranduil a lot, and I always try to make Thranduil a good, well-liked character in my stories. (I make Legolas evil instead...)
Marnie chapter 1 . 3/11/2004
Excellent stuff - very thorough and covers just about everything. Personally I don't understand where Evil!Thranduil comes from, unless it's just an attempt to make bland, movie!Legolas more interesting.
Cyberskiver chapter 1 . 3/3/2004
Woohoo! Go you! *dances*
So true, so right, so well-researched! Thranduil is a very cool Elf.
Thank you for writing this. Thank you thank you thank you.
Actually, I will try to control my exuberance to tell you why I liked this so much. By asking questions, playing the devil's advocate yourself, you covered most problems people have with the poor King. And the quotes and research put into this were incredible! GREAT JOB!