Reviews for The Death and Rebirth of a Writer
imperfectlyokay chapter 1 . 3/18/2012
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for writing this! I've gone through awful writers' block phases too, and recently even though I've been writing almost non-stop, I've been feeling like a general failure of an author. So thank you so much, this was very inspiring and I'm very glad you put this up here.

Cheers!
Lemoncheesekake chapter 1 . 2/25/2010
Great! I'm going throught what you put as "writer's coma" and the thing which totally sux is dat I have been going through this coma for more than one year...:'(

Anyways, it helped alot. Sounds selfish but I guess I felt kind of relieved to know that I'm not the only one who's going through this writer's coma. I might start writing again...I guess I will...

Keep posting essays like that...
Posed to Death chapter 1 . 7/31/2009
So I read this cause I'm in perma-block mode, and I've been feeling like I'd died and faded away for the past year or two. A little longer than 6 months, I'll admit. I don't mean just writer's block, either, I'm pretty much anything-remotely-creative blocked, from written word to art to conversations. A couple months ago, though, I had a fit of inspiration and started reworking two older stories and spinning ideas for two more - and everything I was putting out and developing was MIND BLOWINGLY greater than anything I'd previously done. It was amazing and exciting...

And then it stopped. Completely. I can't even think of a single word to write down...

So, I'm half wondering if that was my death-rebirth-death in creativity, or if it'll come screaming back to me... This little piece has given me more hope than I had previously, but made me doubt myself even stronger. I'm a little scared; creativity is life to me and to be with out it is a really hollow feeling.

But thanks for putting this out :D
BlackMarketBlues chapter 1 . 5/30/2008
Hey, this was great. Suffering a HORRIBLE writers block right now! This made me want to write SOMETHING, even if its complete and utter crap. Thanks a lot.

~b
Asia Ralaia Schiegoh chapter 1 . 4/18/2008
"Amen", said da church.

I'll be reading this every now and again when I need some helpful reminders.

ARS
LaraineGlass chapter 1 . 2/3/2008
Awesome essay. I liked the final part most, especially when you say: you’re a writer, even when you’re not writing. It’s part of who you are, and that won’t change.

There can't be anything truer than that. I've experienced writer's comma before, and I just felt horrible since writing is huge part of what defines me. I can relate to most of the things you went through, and I think every writer who's experiencing writer's comma/block should read this. It'd cheer them up.

You're a really good writer, and-I'm assuming here-you're still young. I guess, the best part of being a writer is knowing you're improving with every word you write down.
BeingMyself chapter 1 . 3/27/2007
Very inspiring.
Toller chapter 1 . 8/8/2004
I really liked it. As you already know, it has really summed up my life in such eloquent complexity. I find words can say so much more that talking to others. This is funny, witty, and very helpful to perspective writers. I appreciate it!
FireChainsaw chapter 1 . 5/7/2004
Like you said, we all have to deal with writer's block, and I think for most people it occurs in a cycle; a bout of writer's block followed by a surge of inspiration. The one thing I can't agree with you on is that you have to keep writing through it, even if it's crap. I think by skimming through fictionpress you will find a lot of works that were the result of a writer forcing themselves to work, and they're not pretty.
The way I reccomend to deal with writer's block is to ride it out. You know you'll get over it, so why force it? You may get less stories written, but in the end, what you write will be better. Classic quality over quantity situation, and when its all said and done, no one can call you for rampant mediocreity.
pixy-dizzy chapter 1 . 4/25/2004
I am SPEECHLESS. You're...so...good...at...writing...essays...Okay, if we have to write wondiferul essays like this in high school/college/anything past 8th grade, which is mine now...well, I'm a-gonna fail.
Okay. Calming down. Anyway, fantastic descriptions and I lurve the encouragement. Thank you for sharing this!
Sunflower Philosophy chapter 1 . 4/8/2004
Writer's block is a little like life- sometimes you're in constant progress, sometimes you're going straight, sometimes you go downhill and sometimes you just get stuck. And just like in life, it always passes, even if it takes years.
I finished a novel of mine in November 2001, and for about eight months I drove myself crazy because I just couldn't start another one. Books to me are like humans, so writing one gave me this whole personality in my head that I loved so much, I wanted another just like it. But every book is different- well, every GOOD book is different, I suppose- and that was impossible.
But fortunately, after months of getting ideas, writing two pages and getting stuck, I thought of an idea that took me past the two-page mark and I started to believe in it. Eight months later, I had a new novel- I wasn't as proud of it as I was of the one before, but as time went on I learned to love it more (also as I fixed it up).
I HATE when people think they're better writers because they have worse lives! Does that mean they have more emotional capacity than other people? No, it just means they have more experience, and I find that most writers who write when they are depressed write very similarly. Maybe it's just because I don't really go for all those angsty poems that end on evil notes. I think a poem should be well-rounded, not just "life is horrible I'm gonna die" but giving it some backbone. People going through bad experiences usually can't do that, unless they're really good.
And to become really good you need practice, not a bad life.
So overall, (and this was an extremely long-winded review... I really have to start cutting down on the chat level in my reviews) very true, I identify, and oh yes- this was written pretty well if I may say so. ;)
m~* Sunflower, anyone?
jez two chapter 1 . 3/12/2004
I've been through exactly the same thing on and off for the last two years. You're exactly right; it's comes back with a bang and more drive than you've had before.
Wow that actually gave me quite an emotional pang. I've only just gotten over my latest 'block' or 'coma' (literally, last week).
You're right, you (in the third person usage) just have to keep it going no matter how bad the writing gets it does come back and I've written some of my best pieces straight off of a 'block'. People are born writers and that never goes away.
Cyberskiver chapter 1 . 3/3/2004
Very good. Slightly amusing at times, but all too true. Thanks.
Plato's Optic Runaway chapter 1 . 2/27/2004
Heh, very inspiring, so true, and amusing at the same time. I can connect with this very well. This actually is very different from what I had been expecting; in a positive sense of course. I like it.
Cerulean Dawn chapter 1 . 2/27/2004
Wow, from the summary I was expecting melodramatic crap, but that isn't this at all. I liked this a lot.