Reviews for A Clash of Ideals
Catalyst87 chapter 1 . 4/5/2005
I come across this kind of thought often and I have to specify a few things. First of all, conservativism isn't a disease that turns one into a raging madman off to bomb abortion clinics, etc. Conservativism is a point of view on an issue that cooincides with popular conservative views (popular conservative views being the mainstream ideas used by conservative groups). The labeling doesn't really come in when you call someone a conservative or a liberal. The labeling occurs when you think of the idea of "conservativism" or "liberalism", and generally add to it all the things you listed before. Therefore it's not the groups labeling each other, its actually YOU labeling the groups with certain ideas (SUV-hating, gun-banishing, baby-killing, animal-hugging, take-a-bullet-for-gay-marriage fanatic, etc.).
AniSky14 chapter 1 . 5/11/2004
hey i like this piece on ideals. everything you said about clash of congressmen and so on i totally agree with.
i think you're a great writer, and at only 15, thats great! haha but hey, im only 15 too so why should i be talking. anyway, thanks for the review you left on my "too skinny" writeup.
theoneyouknow chapter 1 . 5/11/2004
totaly feeling you here! the world is so confining and label obssessed! stnad up for what you belive in but forgot about what people may label you as.
Sarasvati48 chapter 1 . 4/29/2004
This is really good, and very well-written. I am a moderate; I'm all over the place as far as beliefs go. But I tend to get labeled a "liberal" (and usually this is meant in a negative way, why I don't know)just because of my stance on ONE partucular issue. Also, you could be conservative on social issues, and liberal on economic issues. Anyway...I agree with you. And thank you for the reviews. :)
ESC's escapes chapter 1 . 3/22/2004
I'm a Conservative Republican, and if people wanna call me a religious fanatic, that's fine! I don't care. I don't bomb abortion clinics, though it is wrong to murder unborn children. What I can't understand is why so many people are against the death penalty and don't do anything to stop the death penalty to babies that's being carried out right under their noses. Wake up America! Open your eyes and see what people are doing to our beautiful nation!
jez two chapter 1 . 3/22/2004
I'm not great with politics so I can't really comment on the political side of this piece. Although I think the core of this isn't anything to do with politics really; people sometimes get so into something (apolitical argument for instance) that they start attacking the person they're talking to rather than, as you said, the ideals that the person is commenting on. Very nice piece it throws a major problem with society into sharp relief. And thanks for the review, it's much appreciated!
fugiguru chapter 1 . 3/6/2004
i agree completely, and you did a very nice job with this. i ahve been referred to as both a "hippie" and a "fundamentalist religious fanatic" by the same classmate within a week.
Cyberskiver chapter 1 . 3/6/2004
Great work! I really like your opening paragraph, the way it fairly shows the stereotypes of both sides. As for the rest of the essay, it's very true.
Melissa Lea Night chapter 1 . 3/5/2004
you are so correct in this piece, i'm glad i read it. this is fabulous, and i agree with what you said in it. i really liked your intro to it, that part was my fave.
thanks for you review too, i hope you don't think of me biased and an evil person thanks to that one line i delivered about men. the piece wasn't meant to be taken too seriously in context. but thanks for giving you honest opinion, it meant a lot!
Ghost in the Machine chapter 1 . 3/5/2004
Yours is a very rational viewpoint. Unfortunately, far too many people rule and are ruled by their emotions.
It's far easier to broadly paint the opposition as evil than to actually sit down, listen and think. I pretty much stopped paying attention to the political debates on because there was simply too much mindless railing. But I may just have to keep an eye on your byline.
James Jago chapter 1 . 3/5/2004
Right on, mate! You reading this, Z-Dub and Admiral?