Reviews for Writing Speculative Fiction: A Nerd's Guide
TheWolfEmperor chapter 17 . 8/31/2005
Forgive me if I'm off but the Matrioshka Brains vaguely reminds me of the super computer in Douglas Adams' Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

The computer that was built to answer the question to everything, and it turned out to be "42".

Was that the same basic idea?
TheWolfEmperor chapter 14 . 8/31/2005
In my story "Drake's Sword" I try to use a variety of different methods for weapons and defense.

For instance, the colony where the story takes place, doesn't employ forcefields to protect their city. Instead they use the female scent of a local animal to attract aggressive males. The males keep intruders from invading the city.
TheWolfEmperor chapter 13 . 8/31/2005
Of all the sci-fi cliche lists I've seen online this is the most original. I don't think anyone has truly covered ever aspect of stereotyping when human characters are concerned.

But one you might add in the future:

Physical and mental disabilities are nonexistant. There are no mentally challenged people in space. No deaf, blind, mute, or people who are in wheel chairs.

I believe in the idea that most diseases will be cured in a future time. But I refuse to believe that in the 22nd through 29th century that one in every fifty children won't have some kind of disability.
TheWolfEmperor chapter 9 . 8/31/2005
You have some excellent points and insights.

I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on my story, Drake's Sword posted here.
TheWolfEmperor chapter 5 . 8/31/2005
I'm surprised you didn't sight the mother of all post-historic sci-fi novels. The Dune series.
Hmm chapter 23 . 8/29/2005
Well, as for your statement that a romantic song shoulldnt be played during an action scene, i find i disagree. Sure, it does not happen often, but it can be done right. Picture the scene: the damsel in distress, the valiant hero, the unstoppable dragon (or other large obsticle) and true love conquering all. It can work.
Cam S chapter 22 . 8/28/2005
What's this...? Hmm...I must say I'm flattered-you're very well-read my friend, and for you to think that highly of my writing is quite an honor.

I currently have no suggestions, having been away from for a while. I plan on finding a few at least, before too long.
Scraper chapter 23 . 8/28/2005
I often listen to music when I write, especially those that match what Im writing.
Scraper chapter 22 . 8/28/2005
Hmm... Interesting chapter alright, especially the last sentence. Of course, I like certain cliches, and every story is bound to have one :)
Arkash chapter 6 . 8/26/2005
Very funny, indeed. But good advice all the way. *_*

Btw, Chapt. 25 is not Panspermia, you'll see. I hate that theory.
Mbwun chapter 22 . 8/24/2005
Worst Use of Cliches in Mil SF: Mbwun.

Arn-The-Silent-Scream chapter 15 . 8/23/2005
I was really looking forward to a chapter on this subject. But I'm a little disappointed. There was no discussion of tactics, just a list a military jargan. You might have discussed plausible space tactics. For example two large capital ships going at it aren't going to sit stil and pumble each other. They are going to manuver around, trying to exploit a weak spot. Small fighters aren't going to simply dog fight. The purpose of small ships would be to target the bigger ones. Aircraft Carriors during WWII didn't launch planes to shoot down other planes. The planes went after the enemy carrior while fighters covered the bombers. i don't mean to give you a lecture on battle tactics. Just get you to write more about them.
Arn-The-Silent-Scream chapter 14 . 8/23/2005
high technology

I agree with yuo in principle. But the point of sci-fi is the technology. Any sci-fi story can be tweeked to occur in any time period you won't.
Arn-The-Silent-Scream chapter 12 . 8/23/2005
My person rule for aliens, or other intelligent species in general, is to only include them if the story space they fill absolutly can not be filled by a human character/group. There is just to much to be worryed about from alien technology, to appearemnce, to history to nature. I love your essay but it would be more interwsting if you included ideas, or how to get ideas for the people stuck in cliches.
Arkash chapter 21 . 8/13/2005
Excellent piece here. I agree wholeheartedly with everyting and more.

It's nice of you to share all this with other writers, and from the amount of reviews, I can see they're taking advantage of it.

Good Job! *_*