Reviews for Writing Speculative Fiction: A Nerd's Guide
Mbwun chapter 16 . 6/27/2005
Interesting chapter, though I find it a bit odd that you plug some of the worst horror movies ever as good examples-Event Horizon, for example. It tried hard, but it fell far short, even with Sam Niell and a script based off one of the most frightening books I've ever read. Alien, however... that was a good'n, though it, and the sequel Aliens, spawned a million-bajillion cliches.

Hmm. As far as self-plugs go, if anyone's looking for a completely dispicable villain/monster aside from the ones Jave already mentioned, my story "Worse Things in Heaven and Hell" has a demon that likes disemboweling people and drawing things with their blood...

M.Flames chapter 16 . 6/27/2005
This isn't a guide for horror, so much as a list of various horror stereotypes. While perhaps interesting, I don't see what the point of this chapter is.
Scraper chapter 15 . 6/16/2005
Very useful list on war terms! By the way, due to various technical reasons I was only able to read the info on the Platform today.

I got a few glimmers of ideas and I'm trying to make something out of them. Please give me time because I got LOADS of homework along with all the other stuff I need to do. Thanks for understanding.
Mbwun chapter 15 . 6/15/2005
WMD is a rather inaccurate term that only recently became jargon (thanks to the fucking idiots at CNN). NBC (nuclear, biological, and chemical) or ABC (atomic, biological, and chemical) say it better, and have been used by the military for decades.

Good chapter, though... it really highlights the complexity of military operations, something that's oft overlooked in even professional stories. Like, say, supply trains... I think Honor Harrington is the only series I've ever read that even discussed supply trains, and even then, only briefly.

Mbwun chapter 14 . 6/15/2005
The quote is indeed Heinlein; it's from "Starship Troopers." Good chapter, though you might delve into the reasons behind the high tech better stereotype in mil s-f. In several 20th-century conventional wars, namely the First Gulf War, high tech *did* carry the day, against potentially overwhelming numbers.

Scraper chapter 14 . 6/11/2005
Good point with the entire High-tech isn't always better than low-tech. Kinda like what happened in my neighborhood. The police with their guns and sheilds and tear gas couldnt disperse an angry mob because they threw rocks back at them.
Mbwun chapter 12 . 6/7/2005
Hell, even a scientist race wouldn't make it to space without mechanics to build their designs...

Scraper chapter 12 . 6/5/2005
I noticed there is something new here. Come to think of it, I never noticed that before. Most alien races ARE all very one-sided, an entire planet with its entire population devoted to just one hobby.

Nice of you to add Human-Alien romantic relationships. But I'm hoping you could expand the topic just a little bit more. I've always wondered how a person could kiss a humanoid without dying from some interplanetary bacteria or something.
firefly7071 chapter 11 . 5/30/2005
o.O' I need to use this. -scribbles down URL on the everpresent notebook- Seriously. I'm thinking about writing a sci-fi type story (still can't decide on first or third person) and this is just... oy.

Nice point about the bullets-vs-laser thing.

Now all I need is a setting and a few side characters and I'm good. XD
Scraper chapter 11 . 5/28/2005
Fascinating. Your style of writing sort of reminds me of one of my favorite writers here at fictionpress. Sadly, he writes no more, for a reason I do not know. Of course, I can spot major differences in your work and his.

This was nice. Very informative and well written.
Arkash chapter 11 . 5/27/2005
This is an interesting piece on weapons. Though you already sent me some, these are different.

I found the gravitic weapons the most interesting of all.

Good job! *_
Nickolaus Pacione chapter 10 . 5/12/2005
This essay is extremely informative because I wish I read this before I wrote "LAKE FOSSIL." Namely because I was very awkward in doing Sci-Fi. Coming from the H.P. Lovecraft horror background. I played around with some TABLOID themes with the story as in making BAT BOY appear in the story and then a Loch Ness kind of creature living in Lake Michigan. So what I see on FictionPress as far as Sci-Fi goes is inventive, but sometimes the horror genre on here is revomited up into something else unless someone writes in the Cthulhu Mythos.
Alnitak Z Orionis chapter 3 . 5/6/2005
I don't necessarily agree w. this.

I think it's more fun to work out ways to awoid war. There The fear of war and the weapons race could be just as interesting, if not more so.

But you have very good points in here.

Good job, as always.

P.S. You finally hit pay dirt in your speculations about 'The Watchers' in your 9th. chapter review. The question is, what are they trying to use the Rets for.
Arkash chapter 2 . 5/1/2005
I wish more people would take this to heart.
Arkash chapter 1 . 5/1/2005
Sounds good, I'm always looking to improve.

The other thing I would add is: I'm tired that thrashy stories get tons of reviews from one or two people, but when I check out the reviewers I find that they have no stories posted.
235 | « Prev Page 1 .. 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 .. Last Next »