Reviews for Sombre Romantic
Erlkoenigin chapter 3 . 4/23/2012
Zu sagen ein schönes Gedicht, wäre bei der Thematik wohl unpassend, aber es ist ein melodisches Gedicht, dass – auch durch die Wiederholungen von einer großen Eindringlichkeit ist. Ich kann es mir tatsähchlich gut als Song vorstellen
Jareth the Monk chapter 3 . 4/23/2012
Its refreshing to see the opposite turn of the mood in this one compared to the downward spiral of so many other poems (including some of mine). It is easier to write about those things that are easily attainable by men (pain and suffering, jealousy, and loss) and seemingly so hard to believe in the power of an ultimately higher purpose from even the most senseless situations and evil acts.

By the way, there are also pink roses and yellow roses, but other than "Yellow Rose of Texas" I don't recall that they get much lyrical attention, but their colors are bound to stand for something.
Ironic Presence chapter 3 . 4/23/2012
Really, really good. It reminds me once more of why I am Catholic-you can be both the blackest person on earth, and then be the whitest, most pure saint.

Your poem is so beautiful and amazing. A work.. ok, I didn't mean to sound like an English teacher, but it was so good.
bahaghari chapter 3 . 4/23/2012
Made me visualize the Crucifixion. Very Beautiful. I want this in my list of favorites.
SayIt'sWrong chapter 3 . 4/23/2012
This is really good. Very powerful and the imagery is great. Well done! Vx
Lost Dream chapter 3 . 4/23/2012
wow. I've only been gone for three weeks and already there's a poem like this waiting for me when i come home :-)

it's beautiful. I like very much (like the reviewr before me already mentioned) how you chose the colours to match with the theme. black - death, white - life. normally, the red rose is a symbol for love and even if with you, it's the 'red rose of pain' there is still love recognizable behind it, perhaps love for jesus (or life in general); and it's this lovoe that's the well for the pain and suffering (in my opinion).

also the direct speech you use during the poem is very beautiful! i just love the repetitions and mysterious atmosphere.

also your imagery is so good; I especially like the 'velvet petal of agony'. it's a really nice idea to combine the death of jesus and just death and pain in general (but also the love and hope expressed) with the metaphore of a rose (or different roses) and its colour; always looking at another aspect of the beautiful flower. Petal, thorns, ...

for me, the rose has always been a symbol for life in general. It's beautiful and it smells so sweet but if you touch it or clutch it close to the heart, the thorns hurt you. I think it's a very beautiful metahpor and you matched it so well in your poem!

wonderful!
Keskonrix chapter 3 . 4/23/2012
I like how you do away with the utter hopelessness of the original. I also like your colour play. First the "black rose of death", then the depression alert is downgraded to the "red rose of pain" level, eventually arriving at "white" and "life". And, almost needless to say, I also like the role Jesus plays in the process, although I didn't get on the first look that the "barbed wire round [his] brow" might be an allusion to the crown of thorns, while the "thorns" in your poems stand for the nails. It's a little confusing, possibly because both your picture and Jesus on the cross feature thorns, but the two don't match. (Another explanation would be that I'm simply not careful enough a reader...)

When I heard the original song, I thought something like, "beautiful song, dreadful vocals". I wouldn't want to hear that song again. But with your vocals instead of the original, and everything else unchanged, that song may have become one of my favourites.
Erlkoenigin chapter 2 . 3/25/2012
Ich habe selten ein so intensives, religiöses Gedicht gelesen.
SilentBlueRose chapter 2 . 3/25/2012
Oh, so true, so true... I love this one too. You're such a talented poet, keep up the fantastic work for our Lord!
spunkiegirl chapter 2 . 3/25/2012
This is really amazing. Good job.
Gleechumber chapter 2 . 3/25/2012
As I read this, I imagined this as a song... the tune sort of wrote itself as I was reading.
Getuie chapter 2 . 3/25/2012
One can just see the person on their knees before Him... One can just feel the sorrow, loss and yet the sudden frightening understanding. Beautiful
Rose Dark Thorn chapter 2 . 3/25/2012
This is brilliant.

You're poetry has such feeling into it.

From reading all of these, you've almost brough me to tears.

That does not happen often.

You are definitely talented. I love your work, and definitely am looking forward to more.
Jazzista chapter 2 . 3/25/2012
Absolutely outstanding. I appreciate the way you capture how Jesus understands what we endure, and how you paint the picture of our wrongdoing as the twisting knife. In this, you are getting at both His sufferings and His neverending love and compassion for us.
Rose of Darkness 666 chapter 2 . 3/25/2012
Wow once again. I've never been able to write religious poetry. I've tried it but then some block thing comes up and it won't write. Great job once again.