Reviews for The Faulty Morality of Star Trek
WanderingTheDreams chapter 1 . 4/16/2010
Lol. Good points. :)

(especially the one 'bout Worf!)
Terragent chapter 1 . 11/14/2004
Yeah, it's so true... then again, Trek does a better job than Star Wars.
Good writing and perceptive analysis.
End Of The Innocence chapter 1 . 5/13/2004
Wow...
Talk about fandom.
You should get a pride for "The fan that thinks way too much about a science fiction show."
I shouldn't blame you though. I'm a Harry Potter/LOTR fan to the grave. Excellent points.
Asriya chapter 1 . 3/30/2004
Ok, ok, I bit. *stands up at a podium and clears throat.* "My name is Sarah, and I am a trekkie." It is the truth. I have seen every single episode of TNG, and am collecting Voyager now. (though I do hate the new ones. grr.) Your observations seem to be, for the most part, sadly accurate. I have always wondered how warp works; how can they just travel for lightyears and NEVER crash into debris, asteroids, stars, planets, other ships (cloaked ones?) etc... etc... I do think your observation about humans not having religion is inaccurate; they try to correct this later on in the show when addressing death and the afterlife. The whole thing with everyone speaking English has always bothered me too... Good observational skills.
vex456 chapter 1 . 3/29/2004
That was great! The most entertaining thing I've read in awhile.
It's been awhile since I've watched the show so correct me if I'm mistaken but wasn't the idea of money also a thing of the past with the humans? I remember Picard always had some latinum bars lying around someplace to buy off the Ferengi when he needed too, but I thought for the most part the concept of money was gone from human civilization. That seems a very unplausible ideer. And the other thing that always bothered me was Data's longing to become human and to feel. How the hell can he be capable of "want" BEFORE he becomes human?
mike chapter 1 . 3/24/2004
this sucks not all of a species in trek are the same just most of them
Stephen Bedwell chapter 1 . 3/16/2004
Yes, most people are aware of the rediculousness of the planets being named after Greco-Roman mythology. And then Shinzon goes and names his ship after an Arab blade. Yay. But you have to throw in cultural allusians, or you won't seem educated.
That was sarcastic, by the way.
S. T. Lawrence chapter 1 . 3/16/2004
I'm not exactly a huge Star Trek fan, but I can surely appreciate the movies and the series. Here's my question, after watching Nemesis last saturday:
There are two planets, Romulus (for the Romulans) and Remius. How did they get those names when Romulus and Remius is a myth for the creation of Rome-was this ever explained?
-Steve
Tempest Breeze chapter 1 . 3/15/2004
*yawn* BORING! who cares about star trek
Cyberskiver chapter 1 . 3/15/2004
Was this essay really on the faulty morality of Star Trek or on the oversimplification of various alien cultures? Your points were good however, and I love it when people watch things with their minds switched on. This essay could also be read by people (like me) who don't want to make similar mistakes when they invent new species.
g21lto chapter 1 . 3/13/2004
These are points I never really thought of. I was expecting you to go off on the Prime Directive and several of the nastier implications of it. There's an episode where Dr. Crusher's son is *almost* left for dead because he accidentally tramples some greenhouse plants on a world where every offense receives the death penalty. I'm sorry I can't remember the name of the episode. Or the kid's name. I'm more of an original series fan myself. But Picard determines to save the kid because, in his words, the Prime Directive was never meant to cause death to innocents, but to protect other cultures. We weren't created to serve the rules, the rules were created to help us, to paraphrase Jesus. But I think in another captain's hands the kid might have been left for dead.
In any event, great essay. Yes, there often are gross oversimplifications in Star Trek. I've noticed them a little, but I've never thought on them the way you obviously have. Kudos to you.
Mbwun chapter 1 . 3/13/2004
Not sure if morality is the issue at fault here, but otherwise, a pretty solid essay. Of course, Star Trek is first and foremost a space opera, and as such is practically obligated to be a little unrealistic.

As far as Worf goes... well, Worf always struck me as trying to out-Klingon all the other Klingons to make up for his inadequate upbringing, so his Klingon-ness makes sense, to a point.

As to belief being genetic... well, you're right, that's just idiotic. I suppose I can fathom the Jem'Hadar, since hardcore indoctrination (and a pretty severe drug addiction) is part of their fanatical beliefs.

Anyhew, Star Trek descended into the realm of shite a while ago. I blame the First Death of the Borg, personally. STFC was the last good Trek movie, DS9 was the last good Trek show; Enterprise and Voyager suck(ed).

Yeah, I'm one of *those* people.:)

~He Who Walks On All Fours And Proudly Admits To A Dax Fetish (hey, she's hot...:)
Raven Oghma chapter 1 . 3/12/2004
This is a very well-written essay. Some of these concepts do not even apply strictly to Star Trek, but also to many, many fantasy and sci fi works. I've noticed, myself, while reading some fantasy book, that all members of a certain species seem to hold exactly the same beliefs as the rest of their species. It's silly.
-Raven Oghma
Tiefling chapter 1 . 3/12/2004
Well put. Star Trek frustrates me. It has the potential to be so much better than it is, but the writers are so often just plain lousy.
The Prime Directive is stupid.
I say one episode where they came across a planet populated entirely by clones of the same 8 people. They were dying out because after a while the process doesn't work as well, so they asked if members of the Enterprise crew would mind being cloned themselves, so their clones could help extend the gene pool a little. Without hesitation they refused, saying that being cloned would 'diminish them as people', a hysterical knee jerk reaction if ever I heard one. The clones cloned them anyway, and when the crew found this out they went back to the planet and slaughtered the innocent clones of themselves. What the? How was that the moral thing to do?
Sam Francis chapter 1 . 3/12/2004
Wow. It's been while since I took a long look at what Star Trek was actually presenting in that sense. I've known that there were the normal discrepencies and whatnot, but when you put it like this, it makes it much larger than I remember.