Reviews for A Comedy of Godly Sorts
Max-Ashworth chapter 19 . 8/10/2009
Ohh, this was wonderful! I loved it!

Zeus is such a douchebag! Haha. :)

Very nicely written. ;)
christinaxxyo chapter 1 . 9/11/2008
The characters seemed decent but the whole 'herd' thing was a bit unnecessary. It showed us a bit about Ruth but wasn't really interesting either. I can't wait to read more about Zeus though :)
KitBunny chapter 19 . 5/27/2006
Ah, what a cute, hillarious story! It made me giggle quite a bit, especially in the beginning. All the knowledge about Greek Mythology that I had rushed back to me during this story, the good ol' days from last year in western lit x_x anywho, I bow down to you for the research you've done for this. Great job, wonderful writing as usual!
Yemaya chapter 19 . 3/8/2005
I've finally finished reading this. And I think it was worth it. You get what it says on the packet, as it were, 'a comedy of godly sorts'.

I like. Esspeically the twisting of the Greek mythology soap opera into modern day life. The way the story pans out seems a bit too sweet...a bit too easy. But it's a funny story, well written with a decent amount of description and a definate edge to it. I'm not sure if Prometheus was the best god to chose for Ruth's husband, but it worked out ok.

One of the things I don't like is that none of the characters seemed to be changed much by all this. Don't get me wrong the story was good, it made me laugh more then a few times. But it seemed weird that after all the years it skips, Ruth still stands by the morals she held as a teenager. And we're supposed to believe that Hera and Aphrodite have changed after a thousand years but Zeus the god of wisedom hasn't? Hm

It's funny it looked like it was fun to write. The ending seems a little corny, but we can live with that. You've got a good understanding of the myths behind this which helps a lot. (The amount of people I have to correct..._
Yemaya chapter 2 . 1/24/2005
This is better. It's funny and a little absurd. Esspecially the way Zeus seems so out of place, not a bad thing. The way Ruth refers to Zeus as 'he' even though Zeus is right there in front of her. Little things that make it a better chapter easier to read. Mainly I think it's because it doesn't sound as much like a teen drama.
Yemaya chapter 1 . 1/24/2005
OK first off thanks for the reviews even if you nearly gave me a heart attack seeing so many of them. Yes it does go into a proper story after the characters are introduced, and yes introducitions get monotonous. It's just for fun.

Anyway. Is the use of names, Helen (of Troy) and Cassandra (daughter of Priam, seeress) intentional, I'm guessing yes with Helen at least. Are they meant to be mythological characters, or just have the names for effect?

A few things that seem out of place in something like this with references to myths.

Firstly, the main characters discussing christian views, probably not the best person to advise you on that but I think it takes the edge off. Strongly christian characters don't mix well with Greek Gods, they don't even mix in an amusing way, they mix in about as well as petrol and open flames. Personal oppion.

Greeks are not blond, why is Zeus blond? Picky yes, but it's annoying.

The only thing I'd generally advise you on is just to give better descriptions. More of a feel for the characters. I don't think there is a decent description of Ruth and seeing as she seems to be the main character she probably should be given a little more space.
nightbird647 chapter 19 . 1/20/2005
VERY nice. I loved it. May I suggest checking out The Third Wheel by wills-n-minni? It's fabulous. This was also fabulous. I'm a man of sattire comedy, I should know! congrats.
Mistress Mira chapter 19 . 9/11/2004
yay!cute story! gotta love greek mythology. _
singukusa chapter 19 . 8/29/2004
cool idea. i didn't think i'd like it at first, but the combination of the modern world and ancient greek gods and goddesses was neat. _
Robyn D chapter 2 . 8/26/2004
interesting idea. It sounded really good in the description, a parody of the greek gods, but i'm not quite sure how i felt about the actual story.
This is going to sound luke warm, but i think i liked it a bit better than just luke warm. I"m not sure, so i'll have to read a few more chapters.
i guess what's taking me so long to decide is that this is written from a teenagers perspective. I just don't think i like teenage zeus. Especially a horny teenage zeus. :D but it COULD be alright, depends where you go from here. But right now, he sounds kinda like he's begging for sex, something i just don't see Zeus doing.
But enough of that.
You have a nice writing style, smooth and flowing with very few grammar mistakes. Quite near impecable, i'd say.
Be careful, VERY careful you don't mix roman and greek gods. pick one. There are a LOT of differences between the two. Hercules is roman. Heracles is greek. Two very different heroes despite the fact they did many of the same things. (One of the most common mistakes with Greek vs roman heroes and gods).
Also, in your first chapter, things were a bit choppy. You didn't have a ton of smooth transitions between events like you did in this chapter. Seeing as how it's quite clear you are capable of doing smooth transitions, i'm going to chock it up to the fact that it was an intro chapter and you probably just wanted it done. :D
anywho, that's it from me. You might hear from me again, depends if i get the chance to read anymore.
later
robyn
strummychick chapter 19 . 6/15/2004
Truely great. I really enjoyed this what else to say as have absolutly no critisms at all! well done!
strummychick chapter 11 . 6/12/2004
NOO!Can hardly keep my eyes open but am hooked! Tommorow im coming straight back on here to read the rest, a really great story so far!
Katie Geek chapter 19 . 6/10/2004
Only one coherent thought comes to my mind now. Wow. And another one. Aw, it's so sad and sweet. "A Comedy of Godly Sorts" is one of the best love stories I've read. (But then, I almost never read love stories.)
Anyway, I usually don't like stories that make repeated references to sex and all, but I think it was needed to really tell this story. And this is a good story I think. I especially appreciate how you tried to show that sex is meant only between a man and a woman who are married. Not many stories and movies do that anymore.
Just a suggestion though: you used a lot of "[insert name here] cried". Maybe you could find another verb with the same meaning to make the writing more colorific? ;;
W3DNESDAY chapter 2 . 6/6/2004
hahahah: "Why do you hate me?"
i can't wait to read more..but tomorrow's a school day and it's almost midnite..
Zeus sounds sexay..lol
Steph Niebeldor chapter 19 . 4/28/2004
Yay! That was a great story, and I'm not the type to like romance. Normally I would be like 'UPDATE UPDATE!' But I've never read through a whole stoy before. I'm kinda like '. . .uh. . .'
And I must say wow! what a lot of reviews! I'd kill just to have reviews *sniff sniff* So far I've only gotten one *sigh*
Oh well, all I can do is wait and hope. Anyway I loved your story. It was on of the best and most interesting of all the ones that I've read so far. If you'd ever make a sequal I'd read it hands down. Thats for the blast!
yours truly